Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tera_hunter52

Kitchen design trends not satisfying my personal taste?

Tera Hunter
last year

I've noticed a kitchen trend is for everything to be white. I personally love the older style of wood cabinets, darker cabinets and more contrast with 2 toned theme. Our kitchen will be dark brown cabinets with contrasting white countertops and some kind of stone backsplash. I love beautiful stained wood, natural materials, stone, glass and metal.
I wonder if the kitchen trends of all white will stick around long. Regardless I'm going with my personal taste. Do people really find the dark cabinets ugly now? Or are they still nice, just "outdated"?

Comments (33)

• Amy Loves Pink Bathrooms
    last year

Why do you care if other people like your choices, or their choices? Of course they like theirs. They chose them! If you don’t like theirs, dont do it. Also don’t start a post disparaging other people’s choices. I happen to like turquoise kitchen cabinets. I dont care a fig if others do or don’t.

• Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    last year

Well I suppose I wouldn't like visitors to cringe when they are over at my house. I'm hoping people don't find them ugly, just outdated. I like the idea of having a pleasing environment for guests and would prefer something that is decent regardless of fashion trends that come and go even if it isn't what others would prefer in their own home.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Tera Hunter I’m guessing you’re simply looking for a bit of reassurance that the style you favor is ”okay” or acceptable by current decorating standards. I too prefer warmer wood tones & my home, a 2012 built has cinnamon toned wood cabinets. We did just change our countertops from a darker granite to Cambria quartz, ’Colton’ a lightly veined warm white. We did this as we had our bar height island cut down to all counter height so that project included new counters & backsplash throughout. My point being, I now have a blend of dark & light - love it. Our changes & finishes have received nothing but positive feedback

Tera Hunter thanked KW PNW Z8
  • chispa
    last year
    last modified: last year

In 2018 I remodeled the kitchen of my previous house in LA. I used dark stained mahogany cabinets with Taj Mahal counters. My kitchen designer said it was the first time he had done stained cabinets in 8 years! That did give me some pause ... but it was a Spanish style house and white would have been wrong for that house. I matched the cabinet stain to the beams in the house. The kitchen got a lot of light and the light counters and backsplash made a big difference.

I just built a house and went with white cabinets and the same Taj Mahal counters. I was just ready for a lighter look this time around.

Also, all white isn't a trend as you can find plenty of examples of older homes with white cabinets and marble counters.

Do what you like and don't worry about what others are doing ... unless you plan to sell the house in the very near future.

Tera Hunter thanked chispa
  • jmm1837
    last year

The problem with trends, and trying to keep up with them, is that they come and go. You can never keep up.  Choose what suits your house and your own personal taste and don’t worry about it.  I personally like sleek, contemporary styles but it would never occur to me to "cringe" at the choices of someone who prefers a traditional vibe.  Think of your taste as "classic,"  not "outdated."

Tera Hunter thanked jmm1837
  • darbuka
    last year

On the contrary…many people are doing wood kitchens now. You must be new here, because many have been displayed on this site.

Fact is, 6 1/2 years ago, when we did our kitchen, white cabinets were really ALL anyone was doing. Didn’t matter to me. I prefer the graining and warmth of wood. So, going against trend, and seeing that the kitchen was for me and my family, we chose what we loved…medium stained cabs, soapstone counters, and celadon green subway tile. All these years later, the kitchen still makes me smile.

Btw, last year a friend came for dinner who had never seen our renovated home before…upon walking into the kitchen said, ”Thank god you didn't do a white kitchen!”

It’s your kitchen. You’re the one who’s going to be using it several times a day. Don’t concern yourself with others. Get what YOU want.

Tera Hunter thanked darbuka
  • M Miller
    last year

"Well I suppose I wouldn't like visitors to cringe when they are over at my house."

What the heck kind of people are coming to your house? If my friends or relatives cringed at my kitchen color choices, they would no longer be welcome in my home. You expect people will cringe when they are in your kitchen? Everyone has different tastes. Some prefer white, or wood, or purple, so you won't be able to please all your "visitors" no matter what. And if they did cringe, you would....what? Die from their cringing? Perhaps give your guests nice refreshments and snacks and they will be happy.

• M Miller
    last year

I am always bemused at pronouncements of what are kitchen trends on posts here. These posts come up every couple months. How do they come to the conclusion that they have identified a trend? You can see just as many wood cabinets as white, and that wood can be dark, or light, or cerused, or a dozen other choices. Also many kitchens with painted blue or green cabinets. And white cabinets have been around since the 1800s so I would not call that a trend, since a trend is something that is popular quickly, and fades out of favor just as quickly.

Get what you like, and what goes in your kitchen. If your kitchen is dark, with little light, get lighter cabinets. If you have lots of light, and high ceilings, you have more choices on what will look good.

• Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    last year

Darbuka, I'm sort of new here but very new to kitchen renovation trends. I had no idea decor or designs went in and out of style before, like clothing, until recently. I saw lots of people sharing pictures of their kitchens that I thought looked beautiful and they were saying they were ugly and outdated. I'm guessing that you could get bored with a certain look after a while and tired of looking at them, so they seem ugly after a while.

Also, I love your kitchen look!

KW, yes I do want my kitchen to be ok according to current trends and deemed tasteful and easy on the eyes. Just like open shelving is a trend but it is not the only trend and some people don't like them and prefer closed shelving. Either one is considered acceptable.

• RoyHobbs
    last year

"Our kitchen will be dark brown cabinets with contrasting white countertops and some kind of stone backsplash."

When you said stone backsplash, can you explain what you mean by that? There are a thousand variations of stone backsplash. Do you mean stone tile, stone slab, or actual stones? If you meant stone tile, and you are very concerned about trends, then be careful, cause a lot depends on the size of tile, the pattern of the tile backsplash, and of course which stone as to whether it's a trend come and gone or not.

I actually saved this photo from @Patricia Colwell Consulting because I thought it was amazing.

• User
    last year

Any materials, or any colors, can look great in a great design. The most expensive materials or the most current trends, can look terrible in a bad design. If you want your kitchen to look great, hire a kitchen designer to help you make it fit your home, and your tastes, and adhere to classic design principles as well as functional kitchen design principles. It will look great, and work great, even if the materials or colors are not ones that are currently "popular".

I actually saw a purple kitchen the other day, and I wouldn't own it, but I could admire it! It was a great design! If someone couldn't be respectful about choosing a purple kitchen, then they should get kicked out of your house.

• darbuka
    last year

Gorgeous to look at, but, @RoyHobbs…with cooking splatters of all kinds, cleaning all of that rough stone, will be a bear.

• Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    last year

@RoyHobbs that IS beautiful!

• Helen
    last year

I did a gut remodel relatively recently and told my designer no gray or beige and definitely didn't want white kitchen cabinets.

My cabinets are a medium stained quarter sawn white oak with hand fired teal backsplash and lots of copper. It couldn't be further from current design trends but I think it is beautiful.

Why would I decorate to suit someone else's taste?

• Missi (4b IA)
    last year

@Helen that sounds amazing-pictures??

OP, it’s your kitchen, do what you want.

• Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    last year

@Helen WOW I love that backsplash tile 😍

• Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone, I'm glad trends aren't that dogmatic and it's unlikely anyone will think I'm weird for doing my own thing. Also there are multiple trends, so lots to choose from.

• btydrvn
    last year

I just thought i would mention my favorite feature in the kitchen is “windows”… i like a view and natural light when i am in the kitchen …

Tera Hunter thanked btydrvn
  • M Miller
    last year

@Helen - I've seen pics of your kitchen before, and never tire of seeing it again. The woodwork, the tile, the hood, all of it beautiful.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"How do they come to the conclusion that they have identified a trend?"

Simply look at the colors that are selling. The marketplace can't lie. Walk into Renovator's Supply and look at the swatches. Any shade of gray you please.

Tera Hunter thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • cawaps
    last year

I did dark wood cabinets with white (Corian) counters in 2020. But I am blessed with a lot of windows and only have on upper cabinet plus one above the fridge. I did a cottage-y square white ceramic tile backsplash.

• chicagoans
    last year

(not a pro) I wouldn't worry about dark cabinets being on or off trend, but I would worry about whether your kitchen would feel too dark. Cawaps' kitchen is gorgeous for many reasons, but partly because of all the wonderful light that keeps the dark cabinets from making the whole space feel dark. (You'll also want a lighting plan that makes it well lit at night, too.)

One thing that never goes out of style is functionality and a great layout. So if you're doing a renovation, I'd recommend posting a floor plan here and getting layout advice from the helpful folks here. This is a good place to start.

Tera Hunter thanked chicagoans
  • Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    last year

I'm all about windows too. We plan on having a big picture window over the sink. I was also thinking about under cabinet lighting strips because cabinets can make counters a bit shaowed.

• Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    last year

@Helen that ceiling cutout with the lighted arch looks almost exactly like the vaulted ceiling in an old church. Very cool

• Helen
    last year

@Tera Hunter Mother being the necessity of invention, the ceiling is actually not a cutout but it is the portion that is higher because the "stuff" around it is lower to accomodate beams and ducting. I could theoretically have lowered the ceiling to a uniform low height but my designer used the theoretical flaw to create something that was unique.

• H202
    last year

I couldn't care less what other people do in in their kitchen. But I will say that a lot of people seem to choose dark brown kitchens because they "don't follow trends" -- and they end up with a pretty tired, dark, mess of a kitchen. Since they'd already admitted they didn't follow trends, it follows that they weren't really into following design either.... I think they ended up with the brown ugly kitchens because that's what the had 30 years ago in the house they grew up in, and so that's what they think of when they think of "a nice kitchen".

All that said, I am not against dark brown wood kitchens, and there are some beautiful ones posted on here. Our next reno may involve darker walnut cabinets. However, I spend a lot of time on zillow (we've had to move alot for work, and now we're debating if we should move vs renovate), and there are a lot of dark, brown kitchens out there and 99% of them look terrible.....

So OP, if you're not great at design, venture into the "dark brown kitchen with brown stone" realm very carefully, or hire an excellent, expensive designer to make the decisions for you.

• gigi4321
    last year

@Helen, that copper ceiling mush be spectacular at night! And those dining room chairs, swoon! Great job on the kitchen!

• HU-166014070
    last year

We just finished our remodel and I love it - do what you love- we didn’t want white shaker either

• Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    last year

@H202 I agree darker kitchen and accents need more consideration to lighting design and layout. My husband is doing dark stained overhead beams and dark flooring so that's why I wanted the white countertops and light backsplash. It will match with the main scheme of the house which is white with dark stained accents and furniture. Our walls will be white and we will have a big kitchen window but between the dark cabinets, flooring and ceiling beams, we will definitely be focusing on making it lighter and trying to avoid the suffocating feeling of dark and enclosed kitchen space

• Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    last year

@HU-166014070 Your color scheme is actually similar to ours. The dark and the white together.

• kculbers
    last year

Get what you like!! Dont worry about trends. Most people spend a lot of time in their kitchen, so you should feel joy when entering and cooking in your kitchen. I got my inspiration for a gray kitchen on a trip to Colonial Williamsburg Virginia.

• Laney
    last year

I'm looking for a color tile white or gray subway tile? Love the kitchen n the purple one ὉC