Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_zmeu

Fix house entrance in kitchen

Sandra
last year
last modified: last year

I bought a small home a few months ago and I love it except the entrance goes directly to the kitchen which I think is awkward for the flow of the house. I use my side door because it enters into the living area/dining area but it isn't obvious from the front of the home. Is there an easy way to make people come to my side door? Or a way to make the front door more useable? I attached a picture of my house layout and a picture of the front of the house

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last year

Based on this one picture, no one will go to the side door. It just doesn't seem logical.

If you want that , you will need to create a more open and inviting path and somehow block the view of the other door.

• P Banos
    last year

You'd want to move away the trash can, trim the overhanging shrubs, and make an obvious attractive path going that way. Perhaps it could be slate or pavers. Lights at night. Then either screen off your front patio so it doesn't call attention. You can hide trash behind the screen on the left of garage.

• Sandra
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks! This is a great idea.

• einportlandor
    last year

Cute house! I don't think eliminating or disguising the front door is a good option for a couple of reasons. It will look odd from the street, and hidden entrances feel unsafe, especially after dark. Houzz is full of people with side entries trying to show visitors how to find their front door. Instead I'd accept the entrance where it is, for guests at least. (Do you really walk all the way around the house rather than use the front door?)

Can you use the counter and area just inside the doorway to create the feeling of an entryway? Maybe add a runner rug, some artwork on the wall, some decorative items on the counter? I had a non-entry entrance to my last house. I tiled the floor past a closet to a logical stopping place (the rest was carpet) and added a mirror by the door . . . not perfect but it really helped. Enjoy your sweet new home!

Sandra thanked einportlandor
  • decorpatti
    last year

How many feet from the house to the property line on the right? P Banos' idea is great, but I'd go a step farther and maybe create a courtyard behind the 'screen' and fence it in completely for a great private outdoor space. I would be afraid that with just a screen, someone might walk around it, looking for the door (and finding the bright yellow door that looks like the entrance), as the left side of the garage is the more logical place for it to be. Since it is not, then you really have to make a concerted effort to make the pathway to the right stand out as the way to the entrance...lighting, flowers, maybe the walkway all the way to the street. Also, your driveway isn't helping, as it has a path leading to the left. I would resurface so that the driveway is one solid surface, calling all attention to the right. I love your trees, and the house is really cute; it looks like a previous owner remodeled, putting the kitchen where it is now, maybe to make better use of the access to the backyard. Good luck, and congratulations on your lovely little home.

Sandra thanked decorpatti
  • olychick
    last year

I love your house and yard! Not sure how extensive you want to get, but would it be possible to screen off the area by the front door (private patio as was suggested) and steal some room from the laundry room for an entrance? If you can hide the washer/dryer, or create a hallway from the new door through to the dining room, you would at least be missing the kitchen. But honestly, I'd love to come visit and entering into the kitchen wouldn't bother me at all. eta: I just remembered a friend's MCM home that had sliding doors, or actually sliding screens that walled off the kitchen from view. I wonder if you could do something like that on the right as you enter through the yellow door? Hard to say without seeing your space. Shoji would be light and easy to slide when you need to and would allow light to show through it. They wouldn't even have to go to the ceiling if it's high.

Sandra thanked olychick
  • PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

Adding a nice hall tree or bench if there's room right when you enter the front door could make it an entry way. Adding a mirror too will make the space look larger. The above suggestion adding pavers or stepping stones to draw the attention to the side door would also work. Good luck!