Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tallhouse1

How would you enclose this Primary Suite?

Hillary
last year

I am photoshop-tweaking our proposed floor plan for an addition, so pardon the non-technical drawings - they will be reviewed by my architect before we submit for permits but I want different opinions.

I am tweaking the floorplan to accommodate a few things we want to make sure it's included, like large walk-in closets, a hallway closet, a large bathroom, etc. One of our musts is a home office since we work from home, so we wanted to add a closet so in the future could be a flex bedroom for resale value.

Where I get stuck is how to enclose the primary "quarters" so it's not just 2 bedrooms with a bathroom down the hallway. Should we add french doors in the hallway to divide the room or is there a more sophisticated way to divide this space better?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    PPF.
    last year

What you are doing is what an architect does. Do you have and architect or a draftsman?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Have the architect do the design drawings any you review the design drawings.

• Hillary
    Original Author
    last year

@Mark Bischak, Architect he already sent me a proposed version, what I am looking for is opinions on how to best enclose the space

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year
    last modified: last year

Tell him what you do not like and what you do like about his proposed version. You are limiting his creativity by giving him a drawing. Sit down with him face to face and work out a solution with him. Solutions in a remodeling need to be worked out by people that know all the existing conditions.

• 3onthetree
    last year

Tell them you want an office/nursery with option for a future bedroom. To accomodate that separation of future function, and get your bath closer to the closet, I imagine they would be switching the Master Bath and Office locations, but I don't know what's under here or the rest of the constraints. Then at that point, the Master Bath might switch with your closet to allow it's prominence better suited for more exterior wall exposure.

• Jennifer K
    last year

It sound like you need to express the following requirements to your architect:

• stylish transition to the the addition from the original house
    • secondary bedroom that you will use for your office. Make sure to describe how you work (lots of phone calls; need to meet with clients; requirement for silence; desire for natural light or not...) and whether the office is considered private or public space.

It may feel like the best way to communicate this is with a picture. But it's not. Your job is tell your architect not just what you want to be able to do in your new space but also how you want to feel there.

• Hillary
    Original Author
    last year

@Jennifer K thank you, I have a hard time explaining to him, so it's easier for me to tweak the floorplan and ask what is actually doable. This is helpful. He did nail most of our wants and needs, we just added to it since we last spoke.

• Hillary
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

@3onthetree thank you. We can't move the plumbing so the bathroom needs to stay along that wall with the existing bathrooms, but maybe the home office can switch with the bathroom so the plumbing lines don't have to run too long. We also have other constraints like a chimney (it's diving the toilet and vanity) and having the back of the closet and bedroom being on top of a covered porch.

• scout
    last year

I think if you could flip the bathroom and home office, that would help. Not sure if you can do this with your plumbing though.