Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_669869540

Fireplace Makeover

HU-669869540
last year
last modified: last year

We purchased a Spanish style home that has received many updates that nod to this look with the exception of the fireplace. Erring on the side of affordable and looking for opinions on how we can best update it. It is an orangish black 1970's "brick" not a nice red brick. Thank you.

My Project · More Info

Comments (15)

• ocotillaks
    last year

Here are some pics of Spanish style fireplaces. You could easily stucco over the brick to

create the look.

Seade · More Info

Seade · More Info

Spanish style in The Woodlands · More Info

Hope Ranch Spanish Style Custom Home Family Room · More Info

HU-669869540 thanked ocotillaks
  • Looki Lu
    last year

its a pretty house. Your house looks like the background setting for Pottery Barn with the white walls, vaulted ceiling and wood. Check out the website and old catalogs for ideas. they do that clean, Spanish, California look very well.

HU-669869540 thanked Looki Lu
  • Elle
    last year

I would suggest the affordable option of painting the brick a lighter color and using the savings to invest in surrounding Spanish-style decor.

HU-669869540 thanked Elle
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

Do you want to update it in Spanish style? or you open to any one?

HU-669869540 thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • HU-669869540
    Original Author
    last year

I did suggest the stucco option from another commenter to my husband to go all in on a total Spanish look. Not a bad idea, but open to any ideas that would simply update the fireplace, but still fit the overall look.

• HU-669869540
    Original Author
    last year

I do admire the decor chosen by previous owners, but am feeling excited that much of the secondhand and hand me down furniture we have will actually lend to the look of the house in a new way too. We will be on a strict budget for a little bit while we make more important purchases and the fireplace is not at the top of the list, but a facelift would be doable and I will definitely plan to invest in some potted palms for around the house and have a great mirror to hang above the .

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

You can simplify the shape of the FP and apply a German Mortar Schmear to the brick.

HU-669869540 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

Some ideas for FP that I like

HU-669869540 thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Maureen
    last year

If this makes sense style and budget wise, add stucco and paint trim the same shade, so it disappears. Add subtle spanish tile around the arch and once you fill the other opening with wood, it could look really nice. I couldn’t find a picture to reflect my idea though, so will take imagination. Tiles would be arched instead of square corners.

A less expensive option would to be arch stucco leaving brick exposed.

On the left, to help with symmetry, add some large baskets.

HU-669869540 thanked Maureen
  • HU-669869540
    Original Author
    last year

Maureen, thank you! I really love this idea! I have visualized a taller plant and some baskets on the left too. I do believe the stored wood will look nice esp. if fireplace is lighter.

• HU-669869540
    Original Author
    last year

@ Celery- I have considered adding shelves on the left and that visual you included is a great example. Thank you!