Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joools

Advice needed 2022 - building a home

joools
last year

There are several limtied discussions, most are at least a few years old... so I am starting again.

I bought a lot with a finished granny flat and space for the primary house. (Develop's parents died mid project so they finished this and moved on.) I am ready to explore the process and move forward. While it is not ideal economic times, it isn't horrible either, and thankfully I have a good job.

I had a designer put together a proposal, but he was unable to finish the plans. Gave me what he had (CAD and pdf files) and a partial refund, but they are unfinished and I am back almost at square one.

How should I proceed? Archictect who designs and builds? Home builder who knows an architect?

This is a modest project, (3 + 2m ~1600 sf) with a hoped for budget around $450-500k. Not even sure that is realistic, but I feel it is worth doing if only to complete the investment potential of the property.

Thanks for all your thoughts. Pic of the finished granny flat as appreciation tax. :)

(ps This is in Northern CA, Solano County)

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

I'd look into a design/build firm, but I think your numbers are way off. 1600sf at even a modest estimate of $500/sf would be $800K, and that probably wouldn't account for any contingencies or potential issues you might run into down the road.

• joools
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thank you - I am really out of my element, trying to get some idea of what I coudl do... but that is good to know. I woudl be fin building something smaller - just to have the 2 homes, but I have no idea where to get ideas about numbers...

• Melissa L
    last year

Start with an architect to work out something you like within your budget or get a fancy pre-fab house (check out this list if the latter interests you: https://www.procore.com/jobsite/23-best-modular-homes/ ).

Your granny flat is adorable and would also take restyling if needed. Good luck with what looks like a fabulous canvas!

• artemis78
    last year

I also think your numbers are way low, but it's worth asking around to see. We are in Alameda County and there is certainly a markup for work in the inner Bay Area, but we got quotes in that range just to add a very straightforward 1BR/1BA addition to an existing home. We dialed down to just adding a bathroom within the existing footprint and even for that, we had to shop and shop to find anyone to work within our budget--most quotes were $100-$200K. Solano should be cheaper, but it's not far enough away that contractors won't make the trek to work on higher-paying projects closer in.

If you are content with the granny flat for now (which I agree is super cute!) another option is to start planning, but wait to build until the economy really starts to dip. We did a kitchen remodel in the depths of the housing bust and contractors were hungry for work, so it cost a fraction of what it would have a few years earlier or later. But for that to work, you have to have cash or secure access to financing.

• mcbmd3
    last year

You should be thinking in terms of $800- $1,000 per square foot. Costs have risen tremendously in the last two years. Skilled labor is at a premium and I know you must be aware of inflation that is the highest in decades. Good luck with your project.

• chispa
    last year

Eleven years ago we paid around $450K to build a 1600 sq.ft guest house in Los Angeles. And that was during the bottom of the market when we had no problem getting bids from 3 very good builders. My guess would be that any bids will come in above $1 Mill.

• elcieg
    last year

Can you live in the Granny flat until the market recovers? The cost of materials is so high now, that investing in a new build doesn't make sense, financially.

• joools
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks all for the insight. I am currently living in the granny flat, not an issue. I have secrure access to financing, but am in no hurry so may wait. I am not confident there will be a big downturn from here, but no need to rush either.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year
    last modified: last year

Wait it out in that nice flat! If things don't change, you have a great little place to live.