Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cvvera

Keep or remove cabinet? Design opinions please

C V
last year

A family room is being painted. Painter wants a lot of money to repaint solid oak cabinet. What's your opinion? Keep and paint, or remove. I'm updating the room to be brighter. My old furniture is too dark for my taste and I may sell in the near future.

My wall colors will be Dunn Edwards Lace Veil. Ceiling, mantel , baseboards and trim will be pure white. Ceiling beams will remain the same color.

If I keep this cabinet, I am thinking white. Or should I do a darker gray?

It was a cabinet for a wet bar never installed by previous owner. It became a great place for me to store dvds and now files. I typically have a small white desk under the cabinet. Give opinions not based on current furniture. Thanks!

Comments (53)

• C V
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you @elcieg. Yes, the painter would hit the lotto if I paint the cabinet! I used the Lace Veil color in another room and it looks great. It really makes areas look brighter. Are you suggesting the green in your photo? That color looks like my home's exterior color. Yes, standard white paint for trim. Painter said he can use a small oil based paint for the trim.

And yes the shutters are dated but oh so functional. They keep the home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Great insulators and according to appraisers, they add value.

• P Banos
    last year

Take it down & use the money towards new storage furniture.

• C V
    Original Author
    last year

Should I paint the fireplace? If I painted it, what color?

• P Banos
    last year

Can you post a photo of the fireplace from the front?

• C V
    Original Author
    last year

Here's the fireplace. Ignore the planks and mattress springs stored on the right while we are painting.

• P Banos
    last year

As a quick change you could paint the firescreen with heat resistant black paint, paint the mantel black, and add a painting.

• cat_ky
    last year

I would remove the cabinet. It looks out of place there. I like the fireplace, and think the above picture with the black firescreen and black mantle looks very nice.

• Rehabit
    last year

agree cabinet out of place needs to go

• C V
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Everyone! I’ll remove the cabinet.

• elcieg
    last year

Sorry about the shutter comment. I didn't realize they were operational. Of course, you would keep them.

• C V
    Original Author
    last year

@judianna20 no need to apologize. Im here for design ideas so yes, its definitely appreciated. After your comment, I figured that I could enjoy them while in my home but remove them when i sell. I could place them in the garage in the remote possibility the new owners are interested in keeping them.

Im definitely removing the cabinet. Now to figure out how to do that (without damaging) as I don’t see any nails inside. If I can do it, it will save me money from having the painter do it. ;)

• remodeling1840
    last year

Cabinets are usually hung with screws.

• C V
    Original Author
    last year

I appreciate the tip.

• Margie Kieper
    last year

It is very dated looking and should be removed. There are many options for dvd and cd storage.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Seems decision is made. Good choice. I am not a fan of oak painted white and unless you are going to put the desk back or finish the 'bar' area it's just silly as is. If you don't see nails/screw heads on the inside then it might be on a cleat. Be prepared to do some patching and mudding. Well worth the effort!!!

• Nicola Dublirer
    last year

Remove! weird placement

• ci_lantro
    last year

If you don't see nails/screw heads on the inside then it might be on a cleat

Possibly installed with screws that have caps on them.

After you determine how it is hung, I would remove the doors. And move the desk back underneath it and stack some books or pieces of lumber/ plywood up very close to the bottom of the cabinet. A landing spot. Because it is going to be heavy.

• Deb Garris
    last year

I think whether to paint fireplace depends on style you’re going for … brick is very traditional and paint would make the look more updated. If you paint, , black might be too dark for your room. Maybe try a deep dark gray like Sherwin Williams Peppercorn? I’d also suggest you try to make mantle a little chunkier wood, rattan than painting it. Just do a wood wrap … if you’re not handy, a good woodworker could do that for you. Definitely update the screen … either black high heat paint, or replace it altogether with something more modern. By the way, You should find a way to emphasize those ceilings. Not sure how tall they are, but they are a great architectural feature!

• arcy_gw
    last year

As far as the fireplace NO NONO NOT EVER does one paint brick. Reface it, get new if you dislike it but painting is a temporary 'fad' styling you will tire of quickly and you can never go back from!!!

• Carol B
    last year

That cabinet looks like an afterthought. The eye immediately is looking for what's missing under it. If you're not planning to put a counter/shelves under it, take it out. If you need storage, consider full length (to the floor) built ins - there or elsewhere in the room - or maybe floating shelves. Good luck!

• Jennifer Arink
    last year

I agree to take the cabinet down and use it in the garage for storage. (Paint cans for touch up, tools, any “dirty” stuff you don’t want in the house). I would definitely NOT paint those beams on the ceiling. You cannot undo it. As for the fireplace, I do like painting the gold with black. I prefer a white mantle for brightening things up, but black looks ok too. You can get stone in Home Depot if you don’t like the brick. I personally despise the look of brick anywhere. If you just want to lighten it, you could white wash it, which would leave some of the natural brick showing through. For design ideas, you can’t beat searching on Houzz. Just type “white-washed brick” in their search engine and look at the results. Or anything else for that matter. Good luck!

• Ruth Palmer
    last year

Agree, take down cabinet. Also agree with recommendations for fireplace and perhaps whitewash brick as well.

• C V
    Original Author
    last year

The cabinet has come down! Yes, room will look better once freshly painted. Thanks all!

• HU-489810002
    last year

Looks better already! Have fun with the rest!

• C V
    Original Author
    last year

Now to figure out if I want to whitewash the fireplace. I do feel most people would think it’s current brick look is dated. Agree?

• wsea
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think the only thing wrong with your fireplace is the mantel and the screen. update those and keep the brick.

• Kari Lindsay
    last year

Once you paint brick you can never go back. Painting brick is the current trend, and I believe in a few years people will wish they had their brick back. If you have always loved painted brick, then paint it. If you are thinking of painting it because it's the trend, then please wait and live with it for a while. Beefing up the mantle would be nice. The money saved not painting the fireplace may be enough to buy that new, lighter furniture you mentioned, which would lighten up your space substantially.

• Gigi Karns
    last year

I’ve seen brick given a white wash to soften it. Yours has a lot of black and I think softening the brick will make it blend in better.

• Susie
    last year

I love the brick, great colors to pull from and there is a lot of white in it... gives an anchor for the wood beams. I like the idea of a wood mantel to match the beams [or black mantel] and a black fire screen. Our 1980 den [added on to our 1963 ranch] is very similar. This has turned into my DH mancave, so excuse the mess. And we plan on replacing the fire screen with matte black or dark bronze. Here is the only pic I could find quickly:

• Debbie Downer
    last year

I do feel most people would think it’s current brick look is dated. Agree?

No, I don't. Who are "most people"? A quick look at other design sites wil assure you that brick - esp. a nicely variegated pattern in current colors - is alive and well and fits into contemporary interiors just fine. Esp. if you are moving - there is no way to anticipate every whim of a possible buyer. When it comes time to stage it for sale, then you can buy or borrow some updated furnishings to convey a more modern or youthful vibe .... if thats what you want.

• Veronica CN
    last year

Please, take it down! you can buy a cute "wet bar" piece of furniture that works with your overall design plan.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    last year

I do feel most people would think it’s current brick look is dated. Agree?

Yes it is dated but it goes with the age of your house. Are you removing your short windows and replacing them? I'm sure there are other things that fit the age of your house that aren't being changed out.

• Timi M
    last year

I would definitely paint the brick.

• jck910
    last year

I painted brick like yours are recommended by some pros here on houzz.

• Griffin
    last year

My vote is don’t paint the brick. It’s a fad and you can’t go back. Update the mantel and fire screen, and put some light decorative pieces (like a vase or basket) on the outsides of the screen and on the mantel before you make a final decision on paint. Looks good with the cabinet removed!

• hildegard09
    last year

I agree with Griffin, don't paint the brick (I did and now I'm looking for tile to cover it-which I was going to do in the first place but was so tired of the brick LOL). Although the white looks lovely jck910.

• Debbie Downer
    last year

One persons "dated" is another's delightfully retro upcycled one-of-a-kind vintage piece. Similarly - other people's "updated" is my stodgy and dull. Of course OP can do whatever she wants with her fp, but note that she didnt say she liked or wanted it for herself, she was asking what OTHER PEOPLE thought, whether THEY liked or wanted it. If its to be sold then let new people have at it and make the place their own - that's what I'm saying. Here's an example of how brick takes on a whole different feel, depending on context - more modern, light bright furnishings. I like how they added touches of other colors to the brick to jazz it up and add to the upcycled retro feel.

• Toni McCormick
    last year

Have the fireplace brick cleaned by a professional. This is the advice a lot of designers on this site tell people. You'd need to do it in any case if you lime-washed it --don't recommend painting it. while this website is for external house check it outhttps://www.brickandbatten.com/ While this is a kitchen and not the same brick, but you get the idea https://www.houzz.com/magazine/the-10-most-popular-kitchens-so-far-in-2022-stsetivw-vs~159024988 Fire and stone image

• Rehabit
    last year

Get you a quart size of ROmabio limewash. They have several white. Look at their site and make a decision. Its super easy to use. I did my exterior basement brick. You should start make a small batch and do the black brick only and leave it for a few weeks. I think the black brick is the only ugly part of your fireplace. You already have brick with a limewash look so it will blend in the black. But after a few weeks if you still don't like it then limewash the whole thing. ROMABIO Flat Limewash Bianco White Lime Interior/Exterior Paint (1-quart) in the Exterior Paint department at Lowes.com

• Timi M
    last year

Ok, another option is to paint just the black brick in a color closer to the other brick. My massive brick fireplace wall wasn’t looking too great, so I touched up some of the stained brick with a brownish paint and it made a huge difference. I would paint it all white, but husband is adamantly against the idea.

• Marsh Garcia
    last year

Oh God, remove asap. Open up that area! Tear down that wall.

• Lynne
    last year

Cabinet was removed, looks much better!

• luanna4
    last year

The strong color in the brick fireplace date it to about the 80s. I've seen similar fireplaces that were updated with a light whitewash/drybrush (almost chalk effect) to tone down the dark colors and they turned our beautiful and more neutral.

• C V
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone! And thank you @rehabit for the tip on the white washing. I do like the idea of white washing only the black bricks to see how that chsnges it. I’m going to start by getting the fireplace cleaned inside as @Toni McCormick suggested.

• Heather Erickson
    last year

I do agree with most people the cabinet looks out of place and doesn't go. It's clunky hanging there with nothing under it. I would say, get rid of it and instead get a cabinet that sits on the floor if you really need the storage. If it is only like 4 feet tall that would look cute with a plant and some decorations on top. Or hang a big piece of art or mirror above it where the cabinet used to be.

• Nelida Mejia
    last year

The hanging cabinet looks strange and doesn’t look good with the rest of the room. It seems out of place. I agreed that it should be taken down.

• craftlr
    last year

I would remove the cabinet and place a mirror there to reflect light around the room. A slim table or cabinet could sit on the floor below and create a nice 3 dimensional feature next to the large open hole where the kitchen is exposed.

• Ken
    last year

Hi CV, here’s my two cents. I recommend, if you are seriously contemplating selling, then speak to a real estate agent. The market is currently a sellers in some places and not others and open to people paying more even with theses incremental changes and you’d get the same amount of money regardless to doing something or not. But if you’re just kinda playing with the idea. I say do it up proper.

1. First off I don’t understand the purpose of the room it’s just stuff in there. What’s the purpose of this room. If you really want to lighten it up, enlarge that window. The header is already there so make the window taller. Then you won’t have to replace a header. This shouldn’t be expensive but dependent on window type and features it become costly. Overall this should be relatively cheaper since you already have the window there. And if someone tells you it’s a butt load, they are the wrong one to do it. Of course wall will be cut and outside wall will be cut but there are ways to minimize extra damage. Such as cutting from inside-out depending on exterior material. I’m doing this currently myself. Only I’m extending the header. So it’s bit more cost.
    1. Remove that cabinet, you sound like you don’t want it anyway and you already removed it. The shutters only have value to the person owning the home. No one is buying a home for those little shutters. They will most likely be removed if you sell. There’s no increased value from that one window with those small window covering that don’t even extend across the full window. Curtain and or drapes will be put up anyway and then what’s the point. That’s a niche item. Again, this is where a real estate agent will come in handy to say these are big in this area or they are not. If you want to move, leave them and let the new people decide.

I’d say open the wall by the kitchen more. Increase the room flow. It’s already pretty much open. I like some separation of spaces but this room is already open and just screams to do this. I see the pass through window bar for eating. That’s just not something people are asking for in there house.. not with that design appeal. People want Similar but designed differently. I’d suggest Just widen it a bit more. If you don’t want a full open expanse then just widen the door area. But regardless of the wall it just screams to be designed better. Again it goes back to what is the purpose of this room?

1. Again, I say figure out or maybe you already do but if you could share what you really want this room to be it would be most helpful.

Either way if you decide after or before making changes it will determine what you do and where you’re going with the space and layout and flow due to purpose. I say that only because it’s shown as a collection room sorta. The Desk and tv are so close and out of place. Granted I get yoUre moving things around to make changes so it could be misleading but even from your description I don’t get what you want this room to be outside of making it brighter. This could be an awesome den. Library. Or game room with a desk not feeling out of place.

I’m excited for what you do. There are so many options and opportunities with even the smallest changes. Share what you end up doing if you don’t mind. Good luck and I hope this helps some.

• Ken
    last year

Sorry I typed in index style but it’s showing the numbers funny. There are six parts. And I’m unable to edit it to show properly.