Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_581038551

I need help with the front of the house

HU-581038551
last year
last modified: last year

The house has an unique front design . i don’t know what is the style.

i need ideas

Comments (15)

• Rawketgrl
    last year

Cute house but agree weird front area. It looks high maintenance to take care of all the leaf clutter and other random debris that will collect in that whole area. The trees and the dirt are also making the area dark. This sounds radical but I would cut down the trees take out all the dirt and vegetation and pave the whole thing with concrete. Then you will have a lovely patio that is light and bright and you can add, potted plants, brightly colored chairs, bench, pillows, decor etc... when it is time to clean you can occ sweep/or blow it off...pressure wash once or twice a year to keep it spruced up. It will be a nice asset then and will allow more light into the area.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    last year

I would use a low groundcover around the trees and out to the walk/drive. Same groundcover--very simple. The overly pruned shrubbery on the sides of the house do nothing for it and are in themselves unattractive. I'd look for a mid-century modern type plantings. Grasses are often used well in these type of plantings.

HU-581038551 thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • Lorraine Leroux
    last year

I have to wonder how many of those brick columns are really support and which ones are decorative? I would love at least two of them removed to open up the area. Even remove the ones added next to the house itself. The house is structural but hopefully the ones butting the house are not and can be removed a well.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

Would you give dimensions of that entry space please? How wide is that roof section across the front, how big are the openings & total ground space from back of pillars to house? I'm struggling with the visual in there. Looks like entry door inset - any lights in there? A pic of full front of house taken farther back would be very helpful. Where’s driveway & garage? Is that part of a curved drive in the last pic?. Looks like house on property - in country rural or a huge urban lot? That’s a really large home, yes? Even with all my questions about this setiing, I agree about removing those trees. Paving the area between house & pillars or maybe even entire area out to existing walk makes sense for opening entry up, letting light into those windows & keeping area clean. I’m guessing the last pic is a winter scene with brown grass & no leaves on trees but the close up is current with the entry trees leafed out.

• jackowskib
    last year

Lots of possibilities for the front of the home. It looks like that pillar section is not connected to the main roof. If so, I would remove/replace all the brick pillars with wood pillars painted same as trim. But don't keep the ones on each side of the walkway, there's just too many. Get the porch redone with a full cement pad or pavers to open it up. After, if budget allows then reimagine the landscapeacross the front.

• nickel_kg
    last year

Get rid of the six pillars and that strip of "roof." Your front door entry is so dark, paint the entryway walls a light color.

Sometimes styles are unique for a reason: they don't work!

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Those brick posts are overkill. And the location of the trees is just really strange. I agree that the posts need to come down and replace with two or so. Here’s a thought - were those bricks added later in to box-in around the original posts? That was a mistake.

• chispa
    last year

It looks like the original idea was to add a "pergola", but then they decided to build it out of permanent materials ... and add gutters to it. Definitely unique!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO looks to me like a prairie house wannabe that failed those pillars have to go you will need to replace with support still but much less in your face .The trees are IMO interesting but please take that last pic from much better lighting angle since it is the only one that shows the house to give us a better look at the style

• HU-581038551
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Patricia

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Thanks for the extra picture. Now we can see it’s a lovely home in a great setting. Very handsome but you can make it better.

There’s more trees in front so the ones growing between the roofs (!!) have got to go.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

Yes indeed, lovely home! In city too I guess, from seeing sidewalks. Agree that trees should go. Either create a patio with pavers or flagstone or, add appropriate sized dwarf shrubs & other plants to create a welcoming entry. Or, do both! Hardscape between pillars & house to create small seating area or huge pots with plants & plant smaller flowering shrubs in area outside of pillars to sidewalk. Again, creating a welcoming & pretty entry. Those options are much more wallet friendly than demoing & rebuilding pillars thatcould be a nice feature if softened with plants etc.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last year

Wow, cool house. I would leave the house alone and invest in a landscape plan. The current skirt of clipped shrubs are doing nothing for the house.

• palimpsest
    last year

If this house is from the 1960s, there was probably white gravel around the trees in the atrium area between the columns and the house. I think a lot could be done with landscaping and lighting at night.