Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bligh101

Please Help me make dumping room into Tv room.

bligh101
last year

Hi, im tryijf to turn this room into a teen-friendly room instead if a dumping ground. Somewhere they can hang out with friends. its small and an awkward shape. The length: 16ft, narrowest part: 8ft, but the door to basement needs to open, so more like 6ft. the nook where Where the TV is about 12 feet. I would love any ideas about furniture placement (looking to buy couch ir sectional - saw one with a cuddler thay mihht work? ) paint - wondows -

really anything ideas would be appreciated! thank you! My teens play sports so i want to keep the wall with the hockey bag more ofns storage atea wirh hooks and maybe shelves. thank you!

Comments (6)

• jlouise54
    last year

Will a small L-shaped sectional fit in on the walls adjacent and opposite the TV? You would want to remove the shelf under the window. Perhaps the little pub table would still fit in the area near the basement door. Is there a second chair for that table? Will the table get used, or is there a better use for that space? As for the sports storage area, what are the two doors in that area? Would there be room to build in some functional storage there for the sporting equipment? I'm not sure, since it looks like you have multiple doors to work around there.

• ptreckel
    last year

If your home is a split level, perhaps one of those doors leads to an unfinished space that can be turned into a locker room for your sports equipment. The shelf beneath the window is the foundation wall, no? So that can’t be removed. Is the location of the TV the best space for it? Why not post a floor plan for us that includes all stairs, windows, and DOORS (including an indication of where they lead: garage, storage, powder room? That might help with suggestions for how to use the space. I would also, first, remove EVERYTHING from the room so you can look at it with fresh eyes. Seating is needed for how many?

• jlouise54
    last year

I lived in a split level once with a similar space -- narrow and with doors leading to basement, garage, and outside, as well as steps leading up. We ended up with a very small TV area at one end and a desk/office area at the other. It worked. We even managed to fit in a small coat closet. Ptreckel is right.....I missed that what I thought was a shelf was actually the wall. So, that has to stay. But I suspect you have the TV at the right end of the room, as that appears to be the area with the fewest doors. After I commented earlier, I thought back to our split level and realized that there is only so much you can cram into that size of space. As mentioned above, how many do you need to seat? I suspect a very small sectional is all you can manage. Are they all teens? Could some great colorful floor cushions serve as overflow seating? Do you really need the pub table? Would you prefer to figure out a way to maximize storage, perhaps with an armoire sort of piece for some of the equipment, or just hooks on the wall and a storage bench beneath.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Draw and measure the entire space neatly and boldly. Take a picture and upload it. All the inches for everything . Walls, window, stair etc.

Or guess and be stuck with what doesn't work after you buy it.

• PRO
    Kimberlee Marie Interiors
    last year

It looks like you might be able to do apartment sized furniture in this space. We might recommend a very small sectional or small sofa with two chairs and some ottomans. The area where the hockey stuff is, you might consider treating like a mudroom. Please see our design images below for more help.

Greenlake Craftsman · More Info

Lakemont Luxury · More Info

Lakemont Luxury · More Info

Wedgwood Remodel · More Info

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!