Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Peach jam recipe needed.

jojoco
last year

I beought back a 10-12 lb basket of fresh peaches from a local pick your own farm in Ct. I plan to make jam. I‘m looking for a t and t recipe without pectin. I plan on doing the water bath so Im not looking for freezer jam recipes.

Any favorites?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• lakeaffect_gw
    last year

This one is from Mes Confitures, The Jams and Jellies of Christine Ferber, someone on the GW Cooking Forum recommended the book ages ago and I bought it, so glad I did, she has tons of jam recipes without pectin. It easily triples.

2 3/4 pounds of peaches (freestone are easiest)

3 3/4 cups of sugar

Juice of one lemon

Cut an x in the bottom of each peach and poach them for several minutes in boiling water (she recommends one minute, it’s not enough for our NNY peaches IME)

Plunge in ice water

Slip the skins off, remove the pits (she calls them ”stones”), half them and slice each half into 6 sections

In a non-reactive pan, combine the sliced peaches, sugar and lemon juice

Bring to a simmer, turn heat off and let cool, cover with parchment paper

Refrigerate overnight

The next day, bring to a boil, stirring and skimming as needed

Cook on high heat for 8-10 minutes stirring continuouslyish (she recommends 5 minutes, again, not enough IMO, we like our jam to be a bit firm)

Pour into jars, seal and invert, let cool for 24 hours and check the seal

I usually make peach ham in half pints, and I confess, I don’t BWB, just follow her directions, which don’t include a BWB. I know it’s not recommended to just invert and seal, but I grew canning, and jams were never put in a BWB, so I don’t either. Pickles, catsup, BBQ sauce, salsa and pizza sauce I do BWB, but jams I don’t.

• nekotish
    last year

While I have not made this, my friend did last year and gave me a jar which is what inspired me to buy the book. I have made a few recipes from the book, none of which use pectin and as I use a thermemeter, I have had good luck with her recipes.

• localeater
    last year

I just made a batch last weekend. I do not peel my peaches. According to Cook’sIllustrated, the color is rosier if you leave them on: “ leaving the skins on the peaches intensifed the peach flavor and imparted color to the jam“ I dont actually use their recipe, theirs is for peach bourbon jam and I dont want bourbon in my jam.

4 lbs yellow peaches(cannot be white), cut into 1/4” dice, 3 c sugar, 2 T lemon juice, 1 t vanilla, 1 box low sugar recipe pectin. Dice the peaches, add 1 c sugar and the lemon juice, let macerate a few hours, mash. Add the pectin, slowly bring to a full rolling boil. Add the remaing sugar, bring to a boil for 1 minute. Jar and process in hot water bath canner 10 minutes. Makes 10 1/2 pint jars.

• Kswl
    last year

Local, i don’t peel mine either. The peel is a respository for vitamins and other beneficial compounds, and it definitely gives a rosy glow to my peach butter.

• lascatx
    last year
    last modified: last year

I use Mes Confitures for most of my fruit jams, including the peach. She has a process that takes sitting time but generally less cooking and renders a fresher fruit flavor. I have not made the one with lemon verbena -- mainly because I haven't had lemon verbena for it, but I have had peaches with champagne in jam. That's good too. My hands smell of peaches right now -- peeling the last of a 25 pound box we got from a Peach Truck stand. Had peaches and Cream scones this morning, nad last year discovered these peaches which are to die for as a dessert or leftover for breakfast. https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/08/almond-crisped-peaches-uk-book-tour/

Oh, and learned from a Peach Truck person that if you save the pits and skins and boil them in water, then add sugar, you can make a beautiful peach syrup for using in drinks, on desserts or pancakes/waffles. So peel or don't peel -- you don't have to waste them.

• Kswl
    last year

Those sound delicious Lascatx. I make something very similar with baked apples— and I dont’t peel those, either.

• lascatx
    last year

Right -- you don't peel the peach halves so they stay together and the peel softens so you don't mind them. Such a wonderful, simple dessert that can be dressed up with some whipped cream or ice cream. Made them with white peaches too.

• party_music50
    last year

I recently made a pectin free strawberry jam using 2 tbs lemon juice per cup of fruit. The lemon juice is supposed to help it gel, and it worked just fine and tastes ok too (2.5 jars already eaten. lol!) Both peaches and strawberries should be naturally high in acidity, so I would try it with the added lemon juice (2 tbs per cup of fruit). Beyond that, I use 3/4 cups sugar per cup of fruit, and boil to preferred gel point.

• jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

I ended up making about 12 pints of peach jam. It is a little looser than I'd like, but the peaches were probably juicier than normal. The flavor is fabulous so I'm leaving it alone. I guess I'm comparing it to my recent marmalade which is so high in natural pectin and set up almost too much. I also used the pits and peels to make peach syrup and I threw in some vanilla bean with it. It's yummy. Thanks all.

• lascatx
    last year

I used the last 2 lbs or so of peaches to make 6 half pints of jam, inspired by this thread. I peeled my peaches, but I put the skins and peels in cheesecloth so I got the color and flavor in there -- but I may miss the peach syrup.

• l pinkmountain
    last year
    last modified: last year

Sorry I'm late to the party. Here is my favorite recipe, from "Summer in a Jar" by Andrea Chessman. It doesn't keep super super well once opened, so I suggest canning it in at least half pint jars. Sublime. And when eaten in the winter, lives up to the book's title!

Maple Peach Jam (Book is out of print but is one of the best for no pectin jam recipes and relatively small batch canning.).

Hopefully you can read this. Let me know if not. Would take quite a while to type unless you just want the ingredients and know how to do cooked jams. Supposedly makes ten half pints but I think that's overly optimistic. I'd plan for maybe seven or eight.

5 lbs. peaches

1/4 cup lemon juice

1 cup pure maple syrup or honey. I guess you could use some sugar if you wanted to cut the cost, but it's the maple that makes it sublime.

1 tsp. cinnamon

I also think you can sub apples in later and make another jam from the same recipe. Can cut quantities in half, that's what I do.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio