Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_355507847

If this were your kitchen, would you change anything?

The wall that has the arched entryway and pantry on it has a main in-wall duct/ venting system in it. It’s the only thing providing air and heat to the upstairs of the house. Knocking that wall down scares me because of the cost of rerouting the air duct.

Otherwise, I don’t know what the costs of moving plumbing lines and gas lines would be. They seem like they’d be cheaper to compared to knocking down a wall and rerouting a vent system.

If anyone has any ideas please feel free to share. I’d also like to hear opinions if anyone thinks it should be kept as is.

Comments (15)

• mcarroll16
    last year

There are two primary zones in a kitchen: prep and cleaning. Prep is the space between your sink and your cooktop. Ideally, these are two separate zones--your sink is between your DW and your cooktop. In this kitchen, the zones overlap. What's more, the entire clean/prep zone is very tight, with more countertop outside those zones than inside.

Changes: I would move your cooktop to the "west" wall. And I would move the sink and DW "east" by 24" to 36". Hopefully the window can be moved, but I'd make that change even if it couldn't. Alternatively, I would put the sink on the corner (a polarizing issue), put the DW on the west wall with appropriate spacing, and leave the range where it is.

Lauren Confair thanked mcarroll16
  • palimpsest
    last year

I agree you usually don't want the DW right between the sink and the range, but you are kind of limited by the window placement as to where the sink goes.

Also you have no set down space close to the refrigerator, it's rather far behind you across doorways.

Lauren Confair thanked palimpsest
  • ci_lantro
    last year

Small kitchen. I would dial down the size of the sink. Gain counter surface and base cabinet storage.

Lauren Confair thanked ci_lantro
  • PRO
    MDLN
    last year

Would swap pantry and fridge locations. Like having counter space (to put things on) within arms reach of fridge.

Lauren Confair thanked MDLN
  • herbflavor
    last year
    last modified: last year

why dont you wrap all 3 walls on the left.....open up the right side between inner part of home passage and to the outdoors with a banquette or a bistro table or a small rectangular table or other. I'd much prefer that end of the space be casual/destination/ some seating even if transient. jog around the lower left corner any way you want. note banquette at end of kitchen spaces even with door passages near the space seems so inviting w a seating option

Colorful Family Bungalow · More Info

Simply Elegant Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen Remodel · More Info

• emilyam819
    last year

If you’re not moving window, I’d switch pantry and fridge and move the dishwasher to the area perpendicular to the sink (not right in the corner though.) Microwave next to fridge.

• Lauren Confair
    Original Author
    last year

New inspiration from some of your suggestions. The cabinet color and countertop style are not selected yet. This is more of a layout question. I moved some things around based on the answers provided. I don't think I'm willing to part with the sink being in front of the window, but if I had to I'd consider a corner sink, as one user comment suggested. The 32' pantry is a built in. It can be removed, but I wanted to see how this layout felt before I removed the pantry. Are these pictures better than the original, considering functionalism and design?

• emilyam819
    last year

The appliances look good. There’s no need to have the angled end cabinet. The floating pantry looks odd. Is there room to be extend that run of cabinets to each wall?

• mcarroll16
    last year

That's a much better layout. It's tight, but it's good flow and function. Personally like the angled cabinet, it makes the door feel open and accessible.

• Lauren Confair
    Original Author
    last year

I'm not one for corner diagonal sinks, but I really don't hate this layout either.

• Lauren Confair
    Original Author
    last year

I actually think adding the corner diagonal sink gives me my best chance of adding storage, creating a larger prep area, cleaning area, cooking area and there’s a triangular flow

• Lauren Confair
    Original Author
    last year

My number one concern is to add cabinets for storage. Right now my current kitchen is a mess and has 1 functioning base cabinet along with one pantry. Clutter is impossible to keep up with

• nickel_kg
    last year

I have a corner sink because small kitchen. It's near a window just like yours. It works well both for natural light and for looking outdoors. Another advantage to that arrangement is the stove will be easy to vent to the outside.

• mcarroll16
    last year

I've had one kitchen with a corner sink, and it worked really well. Gave the best division of space possible in that room, and still felt connecte to the window. I think though that you do need a spacer between the sink and the DW, or an open DW will make it tricky to stand at the sink. You could use a bank of drawers. Or maybe just a narrow cabinet that gives you vertical storage for cutting boards and trays.

• Lauren Confair
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! I was wondering that, and was wondering if a corner sink cabinet needs a filler to stop the cabinet door handle for banging against the other cabinets