Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Interesting mixed bag 1830s 1970s-80s

palimpsest
last year

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/1232-pine-street-philadelphia-pa-19107

This is an interesting mixed bag of 1830 and late 20th c. To put this in context, these blocks are mixed commercial and when this house was renovated the blocks weren't that great right around here.

For context this house is nearby. It looked like this until a just a few years ago, but this is what the conditions of some of them were like. I will actually miss the "stabilized ruin" quality of this one, but it did really need to be restored.

And this was close by. This disappeared right before I moved back in 1992.

And this was nearby: the towers remained until 2000, this picture was from the 1980s, probably around the time the house in the listing was getting the bathrooms renovated. This was a few blocks south, and here a few blocks can make a world of difference, but it still has an effect on who is willing to live where.

Comments (6)

• Feathers11
    last year

"Stabilized ruin" is my new favorite architectural term.

What do you think is the purpose of the picture light hanging so low in photo #6? A floor sculpture? A small table there displaying a piece of art?

I really like the first floor layout and the dining area with stone flooring. The barred doors remind you of the location.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    last year

I have no idea about that picture light...

It's interesting, to some extent you can tell how long someone has lived in the house by whether they still have iron gates on the doors or windows. On more recently sold houses they tend to get removed, but some people leave them on just because of inertia. I don't think they are quite as necessary now. On the other hand the complex I used to live in removed the razor wire atop the walls on the alley entrances, and the incidence of people climbing in and stealing bikes and packages went up immediately.

• maire_cate
    last year
    last modified: last year

Oh I really like that home - beautiful floors, high ceilings and a good amount of light. I even like the style of the gates. The bathrooms are rather peculiar and the kitchen seems a little tight, even for a galley. I didn't notice a dining room so I wonder if the area with the red rug is where the dining table would go. It even has 2 parking spaces and it looks like it would be easy to back out into the street - which isn't always an easy feat.

Thanks for sharing.

• dedtired
    last year
    last modified: last year

The razor wire isnt a great selling point. The reno is kind of blah but as you say, maybe it was done awhile back.

Those towers were horrendous. Who ever thought that would be a good idea for low income housing?

As always, i enjoy your photos and comments.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

2 blocks from my first apartment. A lot I like, but ohhh those bathroom are very bad. Good value vs most any east coast city.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    last year

Although I kind of like the one tile pattern

And the surrounding blocks have changed quite a bit

The new building is where the mattress is, the older buildings are still there, the towers have been replaced with a mix of market and public housing.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES