Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miscel

No studs on shared interior wall

miscel
last year
last modified: last year

I moved into a building that was converted into apartments. For a shared interior wall with the next door unit, I used a stud finder and found no studs. I know that the stud finder works, because I easily found studs on the wall facing the exterior, the side with the windows.

I always thought all walls had studs. But when I went over the wall with the stud finder, I couldn't find a single stud. I found places where smaller nails were used for the drywall, but no studs. I was hoping to put in hooks for coats and bags and a few paintings. This interior wall isn't load bearing. Is it possible for an interior wall not to have studs?

Comments (14)

• emilyam819
    last year

Steel studs, maybe?
    Just get some good drywall anchors. Lots of options.

miscel thanked emilyam819
  • palimpsest
    last year

Could be concrete block.

There is also a building here with walls made of drywall layers with drywall strips in between to create a cavity wall set into a metal channel on the floor and on the ceiling plate. Very odd construction.

miscel thanked palimpsest
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

It would be more accurately named a density finder.

miscel thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • PRO
    User
    last year

You shouldn’t be putting holes in a firewall. Command style hooks with lightweight objects only.

miscel thanked User
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last year

Could have two layers of type x drywall which would be firecode and would defeat a stud finder.

miscel thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • miscel
    Original Author
    last year

I wish it was a firewall. Given how shoddy the construction is, I doubt it. After moving in, it's clear that the walls were slapped together to divide the floor into apartments. It's not concrete either. I wish it was concrete.

I think Hallett & Co. and palimpsest are right about two layers of drywall. I just never expected it. Taking into account the replies, I'm going to use a combination of Command hooks and drywall anchors to hang jackets, bags and coats. Nothing too heavy. There goes the plan for the wall pot rack and the cork board I was hoping to install on the shared wall in the kitchen.

Thanks to everyone for replying. Now I know it's possible not to find studs.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

It may be a good idea to get approval for what you want to do with the owner, or their representative, of the apartment.

miscel thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Jennifer K
    last year

Consider monkey hooks instead of command strips as they will hold a lot more weight. There are even ones for flushing mounting things-- useful for hanging objects that have a keyhole hanger on the back.

miscel thanked Jennifer K
  • PRO
    AiFL
    last year

Have an outlet on that wall? You could take off the plate to take a look inside

miscel thanked AiFL
  • dan1888
    last year

I'd also check your electrical outlets and switches. Receptacles and switches need a box. Boxes have depth. You'll get info for anchors when you know the depth you have.

miscel thanked dan1888
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Is there drywall on the wall then there are studs how would the drywall get installed without them. How would you know if that wall is loadbearing and if you use the proper drywall anchors you can hang the things you want IMO for coats get coat stand .

miscel thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • deb s
    last year

Try using a strong magnet vs stud finder - also it may be double drywall as a fire stop required in some areas as others mention previously

miscel thanked deb s
  • dan1888
    last year

Two sheets of drywall separated by acoustic caulk could be the construction method. That's a good thing.

miscel thanked dan1888