Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_perariaheinrich

Art too small for space continued

Mary
last year

Another attempt at art in that corner:

Thoughts? does this work better. The bigger one bt the desk came as a set and i still need to hang the other, any suggestions on where? would inside wall work?

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Reposting a post is not ever going to get more help duplicate posts are a PITA for you and us. If you want to add a commnet or ask another question you do that on the original post .

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

More isn't always better

• Mary
    Original Author
    last year

I did add it as a commrment in original post and no one responsed. No one ever responds when i do that. i guess if you find it annoying, keep scrolling?

• kcooz07
    last year

Maybe explain a little more what you are asking. So people know what "that corner" is. And does this work better than what?

Just trying to offer some suggestions so you get more help.

IMO the 3 pictures are a little too much.

• lisaam
    last year

I think that this combo works pretty well; the wall feels balanced.

the piece you had originally thought of putting here is now on the mantle?—- it looks nice there.

I really like the color of the frame on the bottom piece.

Mary thanked lisaam
  • chloebud
    last year

I think Jennifer’s example looks good.

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    last year

Art is meant to be enjoyed up close and from afar. Art has no justice when it's stuck in the corner behind a desk and computer. It can't be seen by the seated or the standing. Also it bring attention to a corner of utility, not design. Don't put art there, at all.

In your original photo, the two little pictures cannot be seen up close or from afar so they need not to be included. If you're forced to put artwork there, one large piece with discernible lines and structure should be considered not a detailed piece.

• Mary
    Original Author
    last year

Jen, I guess it’s hard to tell from the photo but all three can be seen from all areas of the room but especially when sitting on either.

• Olychick
    last year
    last modified: last year

Jennifer’s mock up with one larger piece looks so much nicer than three. Its placement is much better, too. I know you are trying to fill that corner with the plant, but I think you need a chair in front of it, angled toward the sofa, so it does’t look quite so just stuck there. Even if you have to move the tv a bit to the right.

Your wall color is very nice!

• Mary
    Original Author
    last year

I guess it's hard to give advice from pictures. I had it like Jen's post - it was a different piece but it was just one larger piece (in fact it was a larger piece in these pics) but every one said that one print that size was too small for the space by itself. Here is the other thread: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6294771/art-too-small-for-the-space So, I am confused. Maybe because the previous piece was a canvas it did not look at good? But the framed piece in this post is still smaller than the other piece even with the frame and everyone agreed it was too small for the space. That is why I added two more prints. Maybe I should do it like Jen and take a pic and see if it still looks good?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

I replied to the OG thread, but these comments pretty much sum up what I keep saying, less is more, and putting more items on the "full" side of the room is not making it look like less of a corner office if you will. you need to make the fireplace side of the room more of the focal point. check out my reply there.

• palimpsest
    last year

I really don't understand all these hard and fast rules and hang ups about art, but in my old place I had 2 dozen pieces hung on two 6 foot walls. When this house gets finished we have literally 100 things to be hung. And this means that most of them will not be eye level, some of them will be partly behind things, many of them will not be the center of attention because there is too much for everything to be the center of attention.

I am not sure that artwork either brings too much attention or deflects attention from the fact that there is a computer monitor there. There is a computer monitor there and there is no denying it, and computers and desks are just a fact of life. Not everybody has a separate office to hide things in. And it's not art's job to deflect or to hide something else anyway,

I think the one large print there looks okay, I think the group of three looks okay but would be better with something wide and short over the TV. I think the group of three has a diagonal balance with the art hung to the left of the fireplace as well. And I hope you are picking things that you like, and not just trying to fill a space. There's nothing the matter with not liking or caring about art much either. You don't need to hang anything if you don't want to.

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    last year

When you're fortunate to have several well-known artists in your family, their guidance on how to respect art is obliged.

I'm going to hang a gorgeous piece of artwork over a computer monitor? What justice does that do to the art? I would hate to stand in a long line and pay a ticket to the Louvre in order to see the Mona Lisa behind a computer screen.

If you're hanging everything on the wall there is nothing to appreciate. If you have more than what the eye can manage then rotate items.

People have multi-use rooms but why bring attention to the corner that has the most utilitarian items? Considering there's a TV, a plant, 'art' and computer - what am I supposed to look at? Nothing.

Art is not for everyone.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Maybe if I explain my positioning of the art it may make more sense.

When I look at the TV wall in your space I see a tall, thin plant, and a short desk on either side of a the TV.

I want to make the desk area seem a bit taller to balance the space. I took away the smaller pictures because the art needs some space around it so it. For me it was too close to the monitor. I also moved it over to be centered over the desk rather than centered on the wall between the wall and the TV. I want the two spaces to balance each other and the TV in the center. The art centered on the wall space encroaches on the TVs space.

• User
    last year

Art is not for everyone? For Pete's sake, that has to be one of the most arrogant things I've ever read in this forum and it's total bullsh!t. No one here is gazing upon priceless originals, and everyone has the absolute right to enjoy art in their home, in whatever form they find pleasing, and wherever they choose to display it.

Mary, try not to get too hung up on size and placement perfection, but choose art that really speaks to you and brings you joy. Never mind what others think. What would YOU like to see hanging in that space?

Mary thanked User
  • freedomplace1
    last year

If you would like to hang art there, then hang art there. It’s your space - no one else’s; so do what is comfortable for ’you’. And, imo, you just need one piece. The grouping with the 2 tiny pieces, just looks off to me.

My main concern, though, is: if there is a window adjacent to that corner - would it be more comfortable to face the desk to look out the window? instead of just facing a wall in that tight corner? Or could you alternatively face the desk out into the room - so you have the more expansive room view? - with your back to the wall, instead. You could use a divider screen behind the desk chair - or in that corner in general. The screen would lend more height and mass - and balance out your plant on the other side, delineate the space, etc.

• Mary
    Original Author
    last year

Well, lucky for Jen, I am not charging anyone a ticket to come into my house. I just want my space to look nice - for myself and any guests that get to come in (free of charge) for a visit. Good grief.

• Mary
    Original Author
    last year

And, yes, I have no trouble putting "a gorgeous piece of art over a computer monitor" because that is where I work! I spend several hours there a day. And that room is also where my family gathers to watch tv. It's also where we have guests who just sit and chat and visit with us. it's where we live and where I live I have computers and tvs and other such things required for living and working. I do not live in a museum and, while they are lovely places to visit, I do not want to live in one either.

• palimpsest
    last year

I don't agree about not being able to appreciate art if it is grouped together, or somehow not displayed "properly". I don't agree about having to Rotate art in order to be able to hang in enough isolation to be appreciated. I don't agree that art can't be hung close to a TV or a computer monitor because all art is too elevated somehow to be a part of daily life. I don't even agree that all art has to be of the same caliber.

Two of the most important collections in the world are in existence because two private buyers bought what they liked and didn't care what anybody else at the time thought of it. (Peggy Guggenheim and Albert Barnes)

This is a gallery now, but these rooms are the size and shape of the rooms in Albert Barnes's house and he hung the pieces to personal taste with little regard to period appropriateness or quality. Or eye-level for that matter. (And much of this art was considered worthless by the art establishment at the time he was collecting)

Besides that...all Mary wants to do is hang a couple of decorative prints. She's not denigrating an undiscovered Vermeer by hanging it by her computer. This is why people tape stuff up in their cubicles, it's called Decorating. This is a Decorating Forum. There's nothing wrong about hanging up a piece you like in a place where you get to look at it.

• User
    last year

Mary, here is the wall above my bathtub. I hung things here exactly as I did because this is what appeals to ME. As Pal illustrates above, there are many ways that art can be displayed, and no one person will ever get to dictate some ridiculous "rule" for you to apply in your own home. You do you, girl. And have fun doing it!

Mary thanked User
  • freedomplace1
    last year

I agree with everything @Ida and @palimpsest are saying.

And just to clarify: if the OP likes the grouping with the 2 smaller pieces, she should of course use it. I was under the impression that she added those two pieces, because people here told her that her larger art piece was too small. And that is no reason for her to add the 2 smaller pieces, just generally speaking; plus, I think the one piece is enough. But again, if she loves the grouping, for sure she should use all of them.

And I love the display in the bathroom @Ida shows. But just be aware that in art preservation circles, any bathroom (except for maybe a powder room) is considered not to be the best of places to hang paper artwork - and especially not paintings - of any significant sentimental and/or monetary value. Displaying paper and/or canvas art over a heat generating fireplace is also considered to be one of the worst practices [although people on this forum constantly tell posters to display art over fireplaces, in lieu of mirrors... (and that’s a whole other topic...)].

https://www.fireplacedoorsonline.com/hanging-art-work-above-a-fireplace.html

• User
    last year

Fair point about not hanging artwork certain locations, but none of my pieces are that valuable. I have a number of original paintings in my bathroom, which is used daily, but I am not seeking their preservation above all else. I'm going to live with my art surrounding me in order to enjoy it daily. Besides, my pieces have been in place for 8 years now, and they show no sign of degradation. I'm not expecting them to last forever, but I also really don't worry about it.

• Mary
    Original Author
    last year

How about this configuration:

• Mary
    Original Author
    last year

JustDoIt, the paint color is Sherwin Williams "Anonymous." Thanks for the compliment - I struggle with EVERYTHING decorating-wise so of course that was a big struggle getting the right color.

• palimpsest
    last year

I think loose arrangements like this last one you are trying work better with more pictures over a larger area, and usually starting at some midpoint over a large sofa or something. I think the more symmetrical arrangements you have tried before work better.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I love @User 's bathroom and I like some of @palimpsest 's examples, but need to point out how in each of the examples there is a sense of balance.

Ida's bathroom has the entire space above the tub/chair nicely filled. and balanced from side to side.

What happens if you remove something and throw off that sense of balance?

Where is the balance in your placement

As you add more to the right side the left is now looking skimpy but the space on the right is balanced.

• freedomplace1
    last year

I would really not lose sleep over the art. Either just hang what you like there and not worry about it - or hang nothing.

As I suggested in my first comment, some type of divider screen would have the height and mass to balance the area; and you could use the divider screen to cover the area when you are not working, or when you are entertaining, etc.

• User
    last year

I like the second arrangement that Jennifer suggests. Seems to fill the space nicely, with good distribution.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Mary, I hear you when you say you struggle. That is never a good feeling.

I would like to offer a few things that may help you put things into perspective. . .

1. You have more experience than you think you do. You may not dress your house very often, but you get dressed every day (or most days). You can coordinate an outfit, pick makeup and accessorize with jewelry. A lot of the concepts are the same. Would you wear those two colors together? If not don't put them together in your home. Would you wear the styles together (Pearls and a silk blouse with baggy sweatpants?) If not don't put a velvet Queen Anne chaise lounge with a denim bean bag chair. Don't be so hard on yourself. You can do this.

2. Your home is the place where you and your family build the memories that you will cherish when your old. What is important about your home is that it is filled with love and laughter and friends and family. Fill your home with the things that bring you joy. (BTW - That is the purpose of owning art - looking at it should make you happy). Don't worry if it isn't perfect, it just has to be good enough to make you happy and make others feel comfortable.

I am 61 years old and I love spending time with my sisters and brothers talking about our families and reminiscing about our lives. The memories that warm my heart are of the good times we had growing up and raising our families and being together. Not what color my bedroom was or what a great sofa I owned.

I have collected art along life's journey, picking up pieces when I traveled or went to craft shows with my sisters or art shows with my friends. The art that brings me the most joy are the pieces that remind me of the things I did and the people who shared those experiences. Everywhere I look I see things that make my heart sing. That is the goal.