Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lanikaicoconut

Asymmetrical galley kitchen - would it look strange?

I would like to renovate a small galley kitchen located in a pre-war co-op in NYC. I cook a lot so maximizing counter space and storage is important. Due to the quirks of living in a 100-year-old building, I need to work around certain things such as a second egress, gas meter, trash chute, intercom, fixed window. And as prices for renovation are astronomical in NYC, I'm trying to minimize moving plumbing, etc.

My kitchen is connected to a hallway that leads to the front door. On the left side of the hallway (sink-side) is a large storage closet with bi-fold doors that houses a stacked washer/dryer and cleaning supplies. On the right side of the hallway (stove-side) is a small pantry closet that can only be a certain size due to structural elements of the building. This pantry closet ends at the intercom. I'm not too fond of both closets. The bi-fold doors keep breaking and the deep pantry closet is not really functional.

The hallway and my kitchen as seen from the front door (looking to your right once you walk in). One of the bi-fold doors is currently broken so I cannot close it.

The closet with the bi-fold doors

The pantry closet

A KD had a fantastic idea of getting rid of the bi-fold door closet and extending the countertop into the hallway. He said that I could unstack the washer/dryer and put them side by side. If I blow out the pantry closet and extend the countertop there (moving the fridge to the back of the kitchen on other other side of the trash chute), the countertop will go as far as the intercom. Due to structural issues of the building, it cannot go any further.

The KD wanted to move the dryer to the window and vent it out (I did get permission to vent my stove out the window so that may be possible in my building). But then we get into possibly blocking the second egress issues that I don't really want to get into on this thread.

If I put the washer/dryer side by side, the countertop on that side will be longer than the other countertop by 17". A benefit would be that it would maximize my countertop and create further storage on top. But I'm wondering if that would look kind of strange. I really haven't seen that type of asymmetrical galley kitchens online unless one countertop was shorter because of a doorway. And would it be kind of weird that when I walk into my apartment that I've got a kitchen counter like 4 feet from the door?

My floor plan

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I need a drawing that has measurements that can be read and yoi need to also make sure everyone of the items you mantion are marked like the trash chute , the W/D hook up etc. Have you thought of getting the W/D all in one unit . They use them in London all the time in tiny apts.Also make sure the drawing can be enlarged

lanikaicoconut thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Buehl
    last year
    last modified: last year

Please see the "New to Kitchens? Read This First!" thread. You've already provided the sketch of the entire floor, but we need a fully-measured layout of the spaces under consideration. I would include the Kitchen, Dining Room, Foyer, and Halls on both the left and right in your measured layout.

Excerpt from the Featured Answer of that thread:

Please post a fully-measured layout of the space under consideration and a sketch of the entire floor. Both can be either hand-drawn, computer generated, or drawn up with computer/app tools.

By "fully-measured", we mean a layout with the widths of each wall/window/door/doorway and the distances between each wall/window/door/doorway labeled. See a sample below. If something cannot be moved or changed, label it precisely on your layout (see post in sample) and tell us why it cannot be moved/changed -- we may have some ideas for you.

The sketch of the entire floor lets us see how the Kitchen relates to the rest of the home. It doesn't have to be to-scale, but it should accurately show how the rooms relate to each other and should include all interior & exterior doors. In addition, it will help us see how traffic flows in, around, and through the Kitchen. Label the front entry and family entry. The family entry is usually a garage or side entry, but it might not be. It's helpful to know which door you use to bring in groceries.

Regardless of how you draw it up (by hand, computer, etc.), please be sure all measurements are labeled. (Note: Computer generated layouts often lack key measurements and, sometimes, measure to/from things like the middle of a wall or the middle of a window. Neither are useful. Measure each item and the distances between each item.)

Other questions...

• Tell us about you and your family and how you plan to use your Kitchen. All-adults? Empty Nesters? Children (now or in the future)?
    • What appliances (& their sizes) do you plan to have?
    • Where are you flexible? Can walls/windows/doors/doorways change (move, change size, add, delete)?
    • Do you have a basement under the Kitchen or are you on a slab?

lanikaicoconut thanked Buehl
  • lharpie
    last year

I think the assymmetry is fine but if thats the main entry into your home do you want an obstruction right there? are you going to be able to move furniture into the house?

lanikaicoconut thanked lharpie
  • emilyam819
    last year

I would not unstack the machines and would not touch the laundry at all except to replace the broken door. But if anything, I’d make the laundry closet smaller. Refrigerator can go in former pantry space or on the other side of the trash chute.

lanikaicoconut thanked emilyam819
  • Helen
    last year

I don't think it would look strange aesthetically. I have a small urban galley kitchen and when I remodeled I deliberately chose to run one wall of the cabinets into the dining area for more storage. The doors are the same but I made it look more like a classic "buffet" although one tall cabinet functions as a utility closet and the other as a pantry with rollouts and even an appliance garage.

I would not change your stacked washer/dryer for side by side units because it makes no sense in a small urban apartment to not have a stacked unit. Also the ventless models perform really well. I have the Bosch Benchmark units which also has a pull out shelf between the washer and the dryer unit. They also have water safety features which are good to have anywhere but critical in a multi-family home where you can flood out units below you - not to mention your own living quarters.

Have you considered having your washer/dryer moved to one of the bedrooms. As long as you can tap into the drain it works well. When I remodeled I had mine installed in a portion of the closet which backs up to the bathroom. Even though I sacrificed a bit of closet room I had it done and so there is more storage space than before.

lanikaicoconut thanked Helen
  • lanikaicoconut
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everybody for all of your help and input!

I'm drawing up a plan with measurements and hopefully will upload it soon.

Ugh, it seems that there are some more complications that came up. The KD incorrectly measured my ceiling height. It's a lot lower than previously thought -- which may affect layout. So I'll probably start another thread.

• lmckuin
    last year

Yes, can you close off the kitchen from the foyer? You could have the stacked washer/ dryer face the entry and then the kitchen could extend all the way to the left with lots more storage and counter space.