Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wittynicknamehere

Collagen Powder

Does anyone use collagen powder in their daily routine? I started using the one below about 3 weeks ago. I also take "Advanced Collagen" with Hyaluronic Acid and Boron in pill form. I started taking that a couple months ago, as it's the only pill that has the Boron in it for joint pain. I've noticed a significant amount less pain in my hands since taking the pills. I started taking them just for that reason alone actually. I started the powder (1 scoop full in my morning coffee) for my hair, nails and skin and it's also supposed to help with joints pains as well. My hair is thin and frizzy which is why I cut it all off in July. I'm hoping the collagen repairs some of the damage as it grows out and I cut off the rest of the damage. My nails have always been thin so I'm curious to see if they strengthen at all. As for the skin: I'm not counting on miracles. LOL But hoping it helps the crepey skin slow down on my arms. I've read it can take 8 weeks to 8 months to notice a difference, so time will tell I guess. I'm going to switch to the same brand but it has peptides in it which I read is the better one to use.

If you use either, even another brand: what is your opinion.

Collagen I Use

Comments (14)

• WittyNickNameHere ;)
    Original Author
    last year

Okay............ crickets. LOL

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Just saw this - I used a collagen powder supplement to up my mom's protein intake, adding it to cereal and soups, because she lost a lot of her appetite in her final years and she needed the extra nutrition, but disliked drinking supplement beverages like Ensure, etc. I think it did help her regain strength and muscle tone.

This is what I used:

• sprtphntc7a
    last year

i have been using collagen for about 5 years.

i have tried many brands and currently using Vital Proteins. i made the mistake with this brand since it should by hydrolyzed and this one is not. i have definitely noticed an improvement with joint issues. nails are better. skin is better. hair not so much... it grows faster but still on the thin side but i think it has more to do with my thyroid. on med for thyroid.

i have used Great Lakes, Sports Research... really any one with type I & lll collagen. just be sure it is hydrolyzed!!!!

i use a scoop every morning in my coffee and sometimes in shakes....

• WittyNickNameHere ;)
    Original Author
    last year

@sprtphntc7a I bought a second container of the one I showed above just last night. I wanted to buy the Vital Proteins but still not sure if it's any better. I'm going to keep using this one for a few more months to see if I see any difference. I do need to make sure to keep it right next to the coffee maker. I moved it yesterday when I made this post and almost forgot to add it to my coffee this morning. LOL

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

FWIW, last time I bought the Trader Joe's collagen, it was about half the price of yours, Deb.

Of course it may be more now...

• sprtphntc7a
    last year

Deb_Ab... i will not buy the Vital Proteins anymore since its not hydrolyzed. they say u absorb it better if it is.

i always look for collagen at Home Goods/TJ Maxx b/c its much cheaper.

Neocell is a good brand but the one u posted is very expensive compared to others. i always look for containers that are at least 16oz and can usually! get for around $20+ or so.

the Vital Proteins that i am using now is from Costco - 24oz for $28 or so on sale... great price but i see a difference in my skin when it is hydrolyzed vs. non-hydrolyzed.

i always shop around since the prices change regularly.

once u get in the habit of using it, you won't forget!

WittyNickNameHere ;) thanked sprtphntc7a
  • honibaker
    last year
    last modified: last year

I've been taking this one for over a year (I changed to one that has more collagen types and is cheaper). I don't have any joint pain, so don't know if it can help you there....but my doctor had recommended getting more protein since so much of my diet is fruits and vegetables.

Its about $15 for a little less than a pound (16 oz).

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Collagen-Protein-Powder-Hydrolyzed/dp/B07VMBKJK2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=CJH8VLLJVSX&keywords=gigavite+multi+collagen&qid=1663442715&sprefix=gigavite%2Caps%2C245&sr=8-5

WittyNickNameHere ;) thanked honibaker
  • WittyNickNameHere ;)
    Original Author
    last year

I'm in Canada so everything is expensive. LOL I get a discount at work and pay about $21 for it. I'll have to see if Costco has it as well. I might get it cheaper there??

• WittyNickNameHere ;)
    Original Author
    last year

@sprtphntc7a the price is good, but adding another $10 to ship to Canada makes it the same price I pay. Amazon.ca doesn't sell that brand. :(

• palisades_
    last year

I used to take that brand in big tablet form as supplement but have switched to gelatin powder which I mix with juice or milk twice a day - it’s great for hair, nail, skin, joints health, and less expensive than collagen powder.

• salonva
    last year

Well maybe I need to do more research. A friend recommended the Vital Proteins powder which I get at Costco. I was putting it in my coffee. I thought I felt that my face looked better, maybe fuller. My hair and nails no improvement ( and I even take biotin supplements. I am just doomed to have thin lousy nails and brittle hair).

I have one more container of the Vital Proteins, but I stopped only due to laziness. I honestly don't notice any difference. I know it won't hurt me, but I really don't see any improvement. when taking it, or bad results from not taking it.

I will re-read all above.

• happy2b…gw
    last year

My MIL mixed Knox gelatin in her orange juice every morning. She had great nails and never complained of achy joints. She was riding public transportation in NYC at 100 years old. She lived to be 103.