Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amelia66

Kitchen remodel dilemma

amelia66
last year

Does anyone have experience installing an over the range microwave over a counter? Or photos that they could share? I’m replacing some cabinets in my kitchen to make room for a double wall oven. The microwave is above the single wall oven currently, but won’t fit with the new bigger oven. My new plan for the microwave was to put a small (like dorm size) microwave in a shallow cabinet that’s being added. When my cabinet guy was here for final measurements yesterday, he suggested an over the range microwave. It seems like it might be a good solution, but I’m concerned about what it will look like —vent fan visible. The under cabinet microwaves I’ve seen look kind of awkward to me and I don’t want that look. This microwave would have cabinets on both sides, so maybe it wouldn’t look so awkward…Thanks for input!

Comments (11)

• remodeling1840
    last year

Sharp makes an under-the-cabinet microwave. The cabinet over it needs to be shorter so the bottom of the MW is flush with the bottoms of the adjoining upper cabinets. The MW mounts to a metal bracket hung on the wall and is wired through the upper cabinet. Therefore, that upper cabinet is 14” shorter than the adjoining uppers.

• Helen
    last year

Depending on the placement of the wall ovens, you could have a Sharp microwave drawer on the bottom. I have one and it works really well.

Also you can stick a regular microwave in a large cubby so long as there is circulation around it AND you keep the door open when it is in use. My friend has had one for years like that with no issues and even has a pull out wood tray right below that is used as a landing spot - it is similar to the old fashioned cutting boards that used to be installed into the counters and be able to be pulled out

• darbuka
    last year

“You can not install either an OTR or a countertop MW into a cabinet. That’s a giant fire hazard.”

Not so. When we gut renovated our kitchen 6.5 years ago, our contractor modified a cabinet for the countertop MW we purchased..the largest microwave GE offered. He left enough air space behind and surrounding the MW, for heat to escape.

• lharpie
    last year

They can definitely be placed in cabinets but you need to look at the clearance requirements. agree one above probably isn’t to spec. i won’t show you mine either because i’m sure it isn’t either. definately a small kitchen dilemma. i would vastly prefer in shelf rather than OTR, but best to plan/purchase appropriately.

• awm03
    last year

Just to offer alternative idea: I too wanted a double oven to replace my single oven/mw combo. I went with a GE Profile Twin Flex -- two small ovens in a single oven space -- and built/wired a cubby above the new oven to insert a countertop microwave. I love the Twin Flex. The small top oven is so handy, doesn't heat up the kitchen at all, acts as my "warming drawer" or bun toaster. The larger bottom oven easily accommodates a 22 pound turkey, multiple rack baking, oven simmering a 12 qt. stockpot, whatever. I do not regret abandoning a 5 cu ft oven for the Twin Flex, and I frequently entertain & cook for extended family gatherings.

• kaseki
    last year

I have the Sharp OTC microwave oven. It has an internal fan sufficient for self cooling when mounted per instructions. No fan capability is wasted on attempted cooking ventilation, as with an OTR oven.

• Helen
    last year

@awm03 What an interesting concept. When I moved into my condo years ago it had a Caloric range that predated microwaves - which shows how old it was. In lieu of the ubiquitous microwave on top.

It was extremely functional because the upper oven was large enough for any kind of normal oven stuff except baking or perhaps a large turkey and was at such a convenient level. Sadly that portion died before I replaced it. Of course my configuration had a large standard oven in the usual place.

• awm03
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks for posting, Helen, how interesting! Think of how useful those ranges were back in the day when families were larger & kitchens were smaller. Few houses had room for a double wall oven.

Here's a picture of my set up. I'd planned to get a trim kit for the microwave to make it more finished looking, but after seeing how much steam the mw produces at times (I steam veggies in it often), decided to leave it open for maximum ventilation. I have open cabinets elsewhere, so the open mw cubby looks all apiece with the rest of the kitchen.

The mw is a Panasonic. Very happy with it.

• amelia66
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I never thought I could spend nearly an entire weekend searching for a microwave!!! I never knew that over the counter microwaves existed, but that search led me to a countertop model with a trim kit that will work in the small space that I have. You all have been so generous with your time and experience and I greatly appreciate it! Specs for the chosen model have been given to the cabinet guy, so hopefully I will get his blessing!

• Ryan B
    last year

@Helen You're bringing back memories! I grew up with that type of range, but by Tappan. It was from the late 70s I think. It was electric and basically had like porcelain tiles (this was before smoothtop electric ranges came out). The second oven was a huge help during holidays. My parents were actually able to find a new one in the 90's by Magic Chef, still with the oven on top, but a smoothtop cooktop. My grandparents/older family all had Caloric appliances. Amazing how such a ubiquitous brand went away.