Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hemalpatel19

What's the average cost for kitchen cabinets?

HomeSweetHome
last year

We are in San Jose, Ca. I'm hearing all kind of kitchen cabinet pricing. Is there a standard range for per sq ft price for kitchen cabinets? Or, is it always as per the material, design, brand, and store we pick?

This will be an average-sized kitchen.

Comments (14)

• herbflavor
    last year

10 by 10 [ L shape] is often a standard size for pricing purposes... a bit small so try 12 by 12 LINEAR FEET which includes uppers and lowers so ....24 times 250. per foot minimum and on up to 500 per linear foot depending on what you pick...yes...there is a wide range. Cutting the cost can be not difficult with DIY of ready to assemble cabinets.....avoiding painted or inset cabs and a few other ways..... but the extra costs like pantry cabs etc will alter the price. There are still supply chain issues so prices and so on are probably still having distortions. but if you plan now that set of events may be improving. I would seriously get w your local kitchen shop and want to discuss the latter covid related issues still in play . they probably have the inside scoop on some brands easing up and so on. This site is a good place to post a plan you may be thinking of and a pic of your space while you scout out the local issues and availability. do you have an entire budget? probably that is key as you have labour/ appliances / quite a few other parts of the project. this is an easy time for "spiral out of control" w regards money for a big project but with time to plan people can try to stay on trac ..... but not easy, either.

HomeSweetHome thanked herbflavor
  • HomeSweetHome
    Original Author
    last year

Correct. We are not planning on going too big on the upper cabinets, maybe, two on each side with a glass door. For the ones under the countertop, I'm mostly in thoughts for wide and deep drawers. Not sure if drawers and hinged door cabinets are same price.

Never realized that cabinets, which are not even 100% solid wood, will be pricier than granite or any other stone :)

• Helen
    last year

Any company that advertises a price based on square foot is engaging in deceptive advertising because the cost of cabinets is determined by other factors including quality of construction, design of door, wood species and of course the configuration of the cabinets themselves. Every thing that makes cabinets more functional and aesthetic is an up-charge - like deep drawers.

Not sure why you are surprised that cabinets are expensive. High quality MDF or plywood is expensive even as a raw material and then there is the cost of labor to manufacture plus shipping plus installation.

Depending on the granite one selects, it is no longer a luxury counter top material. Of course if you have large expanses of counter it will add up but so would any counter material and if you have large expanses of counter you would also need a large amount of cabinets as well.

HomeSweetHome thanked Helen
  • pennfire
    last year

I did three kitchens over the past seven years. Inserts, moving parts like pull outs, heavy duty drawer slides, etc, really jack up the price.

As Helen says "Every thing that makes cabinets more functional and aesthetic is an up-charge" Very true.

Cheap granite can be less expensive than quartz.

HomeSweetHome thanked pennfire
  • cheri127
    last year

Drawers are significantly more expensive than hinged doors but worth the price if you can afford it.

• HomeSweetHome
    Original Author
    last year

Any experience using Ikea, Home Depot, or Lowes cabinets? We don't have young kids so don't have too much of slamming or hanging on cabinets. Do you suggest I should take these options in my stride?

My budget is about 25K for a roughly 160 sq ft of kitchen that includes island. I can compromise upper cabinets but want to have deep drawers.

There are some local stores that do it comparatively cheaper but their cabinets does not use plywood at all. A few friends said that I should go for a plywood box at least, let the door be any material. Is that true?

• sushipup2
    last year

No, plywood is not preferred. And best value, highest quality is Ikea.

• HomeSweetHome
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

No, my existing cabinets are 50-years old, with wood chipping all over the place. It also has got moisture seep into it. 25K for cabinets as other folks mentioned.

• HomeSweetHome
    Original Author
    last year

What kind of material I should certainly look for? What's negotiable? Someone told me not to compromise on the box but it's ok to not care much about the door. Doors can be one grade down than the box. What material is decent for day to day use in kitchen?

• pennfire
    last year

My parents did Lowes cabinets several years ago and the kitchen looks very nice today.

HomeSweetHome thanked pennfire
  • dianestjohn
    last year

We did Ikea Axstad cabinets a few years ago, I think the cabinets and the Caesarstone quartz for our small-ish kitchen were about $8,000 installed. The cabinets are thermofoil fronts and (I think) plywood boxes. Everything still looks brand new and we have had no problems, the cabinets are sturdy and function perfectly. I would use Ikea again in a heartbeat, their design and installation services are totally professional and you have lots of options to choose from. I was very happy to save the money that I would have spent with custom solid wood cabinets.

HomeSweetHome thanked dianestjohn
  • kelli_ga
    last year

I ordered Lowes diamond cabinets with plywood upgrade, no deep drawers. $4K (with coupon deal) in 2021. 5 base cabinets and 4 uppers. I have not installed them yet (other priorities) but they look fine. (They are in my living room, not the garage.) Plywood is 1/2” thick and very lightweight. I am very careful so I’m not worried. 4 of the carcasses and 1 set of doors came damaged or incorrect (particle board). Once I got the right person on the phone, they replaced them no problem. I did have to wait a very long time for all this to happen. Obviously the wait was not a problem for me. If someone else is designing and installing, the timeframe could be more of an issue because someone has to make sure the order is correct and there are no issues. If I have issues at installation, I am prepared to deal with them myself.

I also considered cabinets2go for budgeting reasons. Ikea was not a good option for me, and last time I checked, they did not have a true white cabinet so I never considered them. (They might have a true white now, IDK.) Lowes was a lot closer (I am rural), and the designer was eager to help me out being new to the area. It was one of my first purchases in the new house as the kitchen was broken. The kitchen is still broken but I’m getting by with new appliances and a temporary sink.

In my previous home, the cabinets were particle board or mdf, and water and wear made them lumpy. That is why I insisted on plywood carcasses for the new cabinets. The doors have solid wood and are painted. They did a good job with the paint. I think now there are other options for material that have more durability features.

Solid wood warps, which is why it is not recommended for carcasses and slab doors. It’s OK for parts of paneled doors.

HomeSweetHome thanked kelli_ga
  • Susanne Woolley
    last year

I concur completely with cheri127 that the deep lower drawers instead of cabinets with doors are 100% the way to go if you can budget for them. I can’t tell you enough how much I love the improved accessibility and increased storage capacity! No more breaking back to lean into the black hole, hunting for items at the back.

HomeSweetHome thanked Susanne Woolley
  • HomeSweetHome
    Original Author
    last year

You all have been so helpful. Thanks a ton. Please keep sharing your views/suggestions/feedback, it'll help a lot like me.