Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vidsquid

Quartz vs Quartzite

vidsquid
last year

Looking for a traditional classic look. Love the look of marble… would like tans/beige/grey tasteful veining to tie in my coffee floors. Thoughts and please send pics of what u think may work. Thank u!!!

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Quartz is manmade, quartzite is mined. (although quartzite is actually made up over 99% quartz. The manmade quartz is made from resin and ground up quartz)

send pics of what would work for what? Why don't you post pics of your kitchen? We could post 500 pictures of countertops,slabs and ideas, but we still won't know how it's going to look in your space.

Tans/beige and gray aren't tradtional marble colors.

If you want those colors, look at TajMajal quartztite.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

Go natural! Natural stone, that is. Some granites are still very relevant today, style wise and are very durable. Personally I love the Taj Mahal quartzite that Beth mentions. And I also love marble despite its less than indestructible nature. I just don’t like fake stuff, so no quartz. Had enough of it in my previous home, so I’m truly biased here. I think real woods (good quality engineered is ok) and real stone make a home timeless.

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    last year

That’s what it looks like now

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    last year

I am planning to have my cabinets painted same color as my trim (soft white) I would like to go with lantern pendant lights 2 over island one long one over table

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    last year

They gave be a price on this marble shadow storm it was 3,000 less that the white pearl quartzite…..thoughts on marble

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    last year

White pearl quartzite

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

marble is marble. it will etch. (take lemon juice to any slab you're unsure of. test a few drops and let set 5 minutes. wipe it away. did it etch? it's marble. quartzite or granite will not etch.

Shadow Storm is a nice stone though. It's going to give off 'cooler' tones.

But still looks nice w/this warmer white color cabinets

If you have off white cabinets, I would look for something else. maybe Danby marble.

This is a marble-look quartz. no etching.

cambria.

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    last year

The slab you show looks like it's a cool tone on my screen. It may clash with your cabinets.

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    last year

I’m going to paint my cabinets the same as my trim it’s a warm white

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    last year

Quartz is man made tho. I do love that look of the clean and the super white background. I want something classy and timeless…..so does everyone else 😂

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

you're not giving us much info vid. there are a hundred warm whites.

If we have to pull teeth to get answers to questions, you aren't going to get much help.

If you keep asking, "what about this one", you'll get generic answers.

There are a 1000 diff slabs you could use for countertops. Will they work w/your choices? who knows?

post a pic of the color cabinets, your flooring, and anything else in the room.

Yards commonly mislabel marble as 'quartzite'. check the White Pearl. it looks more like marble.

Test it

Does it look like these? this is White Pearl. that pic you posted looks more like marble.

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    last year

Can u tell I am a novice at this! 😛

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    last year

My back splash I’m thinking of changing the tan to accessible beige and the trim is called Tim Kelly white the builders wife is a designer and it’s her off white….just giving the facts :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

forget shadow storm. wrong color for what you have.

(and why not paint the cabinets a regular white and change the trim color? why do the cabinets have to match the warm white trim?)

If you're repainting the walls, then just get the trim done w/a nice white.

Then the cabinets.

What kind of flooring do you have in there?

forget the backsplash for now too. that's comes last. You don't pick a backsplash tile now before a countertop! that's just backwards.

But, if you insist on warm whites, you need warm stone colors. Look at granite or real quartzite. forget the marble unless you can do a Calacatta gold.

Taj Majal

Cielo Blue

Delicatus Cream

• Rebekah Gibbs
    last year

Crystallize quartzite (similar to Taj Mahal) looks great with warm white. It also doesn’t etch or stain.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

it's Cristallo in most stone places ^

• Rebekah Gibbs
    last year

I’m only familiar with the Seattle area but here in the PNW cristallo looks like this, much more white with an almost webbed crystal structure

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

diff stone yards rename slabs. all the time. They're the same. and of course natural stone varies widely, so in some you'll get more whites, others more veining.

here is the Cristallo quarry

just depends which part of the 'block' your slab came from

colors for this range from white, to gray to pink (which is what yours looks like)

• cfennessey
    last year

We just installed beautiful quartz counters, honed Viatera Lumina.

• Rebekah Gibbs
    last year

Vidsquid - as others said you will have to go by the slabs you like in person and not just by name or photos. There is so much variation out there. If you like the stone I have look for crystallize quartzite specifically at daltile. Outside of daltile look for taj majal, it is the closest looking elsewhere. Cristallo is also beautiful but is a different look altogether, less flowy and almost ice like. All would work well with a warmer white. When I began my search it took months of visiting and revisiting all the slab yards in a 100 mile radius. I brought glass and used my keys to inconspicuously test slabs. Many yards had scrap pieces I was able to take home and test for etching and staining. It was a lot of work and research but it is a huge investment.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Total overthink. Get Taj Mahal quartzite, and you wait on the tile splash UNTIL it is installed. Either way, this is a LOCAL shopping job, unless you want quartz.

If that man made surface? I'd say Ceasarstone "Fantasy" which has the warmth in the pale beige and tastefully light veining. But the background is WHITE. Your cabinets are not.

You can't choose it here, and you can't choose it online. Taj will vary greatly, Some warmer or cooler depending. So you must go to a stone yard, or two, or three etc. Take a drawer face with you. Mother earth doesn't ask whether her veining is tasteful..........that's up to YOU.

PS.....paint color is non issue at this point, as is the backsplash.

• PRO
    User
    last year

Spend some money on hiring an in person designer to visit local slab yards with you. Yes, you are creating small changes from what exists. If you have determined that something must change, then get the help to make sure that you will be happy with such slight changes to the overall big picture.