Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparkleivy

Help turn this blah fireplace into a show stopper!

sparkleivy
last year

I’m renovating a home I’ve recently purchased. I’m going for styling that is the more modern side of transitional and would love for this fireplace in my hearth room (just off the kitchen and a key living / entertaining space) to really be a decor “moment”. But, I don’t have an endless budget. 🫤 And repainting it seems BORING!!!!! I don’t want to land on that as a last resort.

The rest of the room is being COMPLETELY redone - new hardwood flooring, baseboards, lighting, paint, window treatments, etc…) But, I’m stuck on what to do with this blah fireplace. I can’t afford the marble / porcelain surround I want. So, I’m desperate for suggestions. If it helps, my color palette is neutrals with a touch or warmth anchored by deep navy, and bits of browns and caramels.

Comments (69)

• Alex D
    last year

I would cover it with a light grey micro cement, and a shelf of wood in the same tone as the floor. A tall square cushion in greyish beige made with natural materials on one side and a bamboo tray with three tall white candles on the other.

• Tamara Exsted
    last year

Have you considered sheets of porcelain tile? There are some gorgeous pieces that are available in xxl sizes (30”x60”) and many other that would be easy for a contractor to install and very budget friendly: https://www.tilebar.com/tilebarxl-marmi-slim-carrara-zebrino-30-x-60-polished-porcelain-slab.html

• Tamara Exsted
    last year

(Also comes in 60”x120” size!)

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

The fireplace should relate to the overall home style - so post photos of the exterior and kitchen.

• Kimmie Rose
    last year

I am going through the same process in my family room and don’t want to blow my budget on the fireplace either. I sat the other day and watch so many remodeling shows to get some ideas for mine. I really liked the cement idea, they showed it halfway up with brick on the top and then painted the entire thing. I also liked one that was lime washed and a piece of live-edged wood was installed along hearth to give it a more modern but warm feel. I wanted to remove my hearth but one of the shows that I watched when they removed the hearth it was filled with leftover bricks, broken block and filled with sand from the original build from the house? A $4,000 fix because it weakened the entire structure! I am not willing to take the chance on my end, I live in a 1973 Ryan ranch and I would bet that is what I would find, mine hearth is staying and I will figure that out. Also Air Stone seems to be affordable and not as busy as tile?

• Pamela Berman
    last year

Paint the fireplace white and put a reclaimed wood mantle. Remove ceiling fan and replace with a cool flush pendant lighting fixture. Finish the floors with a light finish or ebony finish for drama. Cheap fix but will make a huge difference.

• vlfndc
    last year

There are two fireplaces in this home (upper and lower levels) much like yours. Simple and tastefully done. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/975-Cardinal-Ln-NW-Cleveland-TN-37312/67366515_zpid/?mmlb=g,2

• dgalism
    last year

Im not a designer, but this is my thoughts. The color of the walls and the floor is very warm, golden in fact. Its making the brick color warmer also. So change your floors and wall color and then see how the brick color works. Also, give the FP a good scrubbing. The clean brick might be more livable.

Another point is, if it is a working FP, the surround around the firebox need to be fire rated.

• Kimmie Rose
    last year

I have also seen brick on the bottom with shiplap on the top (maybe to country?), German shmear (mix of mortar and cement), maybe when you decide on a finish you might just need an updated cover for the box and maybe your TV installed on the top and you really won’t have much left showing when it is all said and done. If you are not going to use your fireplace, I saw where they filled the empty fireplace box with stacked wood—looked very nice!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

I’m confused. OP can’t afford to retile the fireplace but can afford to knock it down and rebuild? Painting is the cheapest option. A very dark color would be more modern and dramatic. Can a mason apply concrete (or something similar) over the brick to make the surface smooth?

• stingrey72
    last year

We wanted to go from a traditional look to a more transitional look too. Removed the old mantle and marble surround, framed it in and now adding stacked stone. Stone mason will return to finish up the bottom half. So far we love it. The framing gives it a very custom, artistic look and covers the raw edges of the stone which I didn’t like even though they were straight and smooth.

• Susan Martin
    last year

Hi. Perhaps going with decor on/around the fireplace would bring to room together? Some ideas:

society06 art.

Star Lake Wood Wall Art

by SpaceFrogDesigns

https://society6.com/product/star-lake2208220_wood-wall-art?sku=s6-11336023p67a214v757

Toolset. Orion 5 pc Toolset by GHP Group Inc

https://www.houzz.com/products/orion-5-pc-fireplace-toolset-prvw-vr~122246494

Log holder. Palmer Iron and Canvas Fireplace Log Holder, Black/Matte Black

By GDFStudio. https://www.houzz.com/products/palmer-iron-and-canvas-fireplace-log-holder-black-matte-black-prvw-vr~151905763

• Deb Garry
    last year

Paint the fireplace Urbane Bronze from Sherwin Williams.

• aniluap2
    last year

If you are going more contemporary, I would remove the ceiling molding which optically reduces the height and gives the room a traditional look. I would consider sheet rocking (cheapest) to cladding with shiplap that could be painted the same color as the walls. You could use a clean, simple modern tile around the insert,or for a bit more, a simple metal surround around the insert. You could use a floating wood mantle or none, since it is not truly necessary. If you have a beautiful piece of art to hang there that would suffice .You are on the right track and seem to have a vision. Do not let nasty comments get into your head space. Take the suggestions in and see what speaks to you. I am sure you will come up with an appealing design.

• Dennis Peterson
    last year

Perhaps adding a stack of floating wooden shelves on the right side of the fireplace. Stack them to mantle height and extend the top shelf continuously across the fireplace ending at the left side of it to form the mantle. The shelves on the right should run to the inside corner of the alcove. Add a comfortable chair on the right and and a sizable art piece sitting on the top shelf/mantle above the chair on the right side of the fireplace. Doing this would form a total fireplace, shelving, art piece and chair composition used as a relaxing reading space. It would also pull the weight of the fireplace into the room rather than just stuck awkwardly into the corner. I would leave the brick alone.

• terrib962
    last year

Leave it the way it is, add a nice piece of framed art and paint the walls beside it in a color that blends nicely.

• latifolia
    last year

This is the problem: she wants it to be a showstopper, but doesn't want to paint it and can't afford to clad it in marble or porcelain.

As she says, it's in an unfortunate corner location, right next to the master bedroom entrance, but she won't move the fireplace or bedroom entrance.

All these constraints make it tough to create a showstopper, and probably tough to arrange furniture, especially since it's the corridor to the master bedroom.

• Naomi Ben-attar yablong
    last year

Actually, you could make this a really cool focal point for the room. Can you give an idea of how much you can budget for this portion as there a a few approaches I would consider.
    Moving a fireplace is a BIG DEAL! Those comments above suggesting this are not realizing what it takes.
    Anyway, I had a similarly blah fireplace myself and I made some changes that transformed the space nicely. But I did not have a feature you have here - and I wished I had - the raised hearth! That gives you much more flexibility in design so you are lucky.
    Here are some quick thoughts.
    A. Remove the top layer of hearth bricks only and replace with a different stone surface. Drywall the top and either do a tile surround or a complimentary stone and simply replace the horizontal shelf with a full length mitered cornered thicker more modern one. Paint the brick below.
    B. Transform this to a wood burning stove. My brother did this and it is STUNNING. Probably more expensive than option A. But a wood burning stove is much more efficient.
    No matter what you want to do, you must first have your chimney assessed by an expert to be sure the lining is intact and the fire tiles aren’t cracked. I renovated a house with a fireplace that I expected to be able to use - and I was planning to change the fireplace too. But it turned out that the inside of the chimney needed 5k to make it workable -so I made the fireplace a pretty focal point in the room but disabled the whole thing.

• Barbara Lange
    last year

It looks like your wall color makes the fireplace stand out - but not in a great way. I would repaint your walls a closer color to make it more blended. Get a great large art piece- Etsy has very affordable. Add a cool firescreen. I recently bought one from Pottery Barn on sale in gold. Then, maybe a tall plant or lantern to sit on the hearth. I think once it blends in more with your room, you won’t dislike it so much!

• Barbara Lange
    last year

Oh and no mantel- looks more modern without one!

• liz_belton
    last year

I like to play with https://home.by.me/en/. Here is a stab at your dilemma. I am assuming that you will use some of the EXACT same colors from your adjoining spaces (navy, camel, browns, I would add warm cream) in this space. The software is limited in some of its fixtures, but I'd paint the fireplace and adjoining walls your favorite navy and add the same, if you can, material of your counter tops somewhere on the fireplace: mantel? top of the raised hearth? Repeat this navy on opposite wall drapes. I'd keep your walls on the lighter side of your palette (warm cream). Use area rug with navy, cream, camel. Camel leather chairs. Art on the walls with similar colors but introduce your favorite accent color. Warm it up with fantastic chandelier in gold tone. First place I'd shop for these things would be a resale store. A bookcase in similar color as your trim next to the fireplace. Good luck! Just noticed that a gold framed mirror or something else gold on mantel would be pretty nice.

• Christiane Roy
    last year

The step definitively has to go and the fireplace is way too large. If your budget is on the thight side, I would suggest keepind part of the bricks only on the bottom part and paint it something like cream and do the upper part simply with drywall with a nice wall art or a tv. If you make the fireplace brick wall much more narrow and not up to the ceiling, maybe the porcelaine or marble would become affordable!

• Lynzy
    last year

Given all the constraints OP has, I’d say the best option is to blend the fp with the surrounding walls to help de-emphasize it. If the hearth can be removed, do that, then paint it out the same as new wall color. It’s not going to be a show-stopper without significant reworking, and that’s not in the plans right now, according to OP.

• dgalism
    last year

Here’s an option to reface with Venetian Plaster.

https://birdzofafeather.ca/diy/brick-fireplace-makeover

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year
    last modified: last year

As suggested above, I would start by removing the raised hearth. Then you can remove the brick and simply drywall and paint... For a modern look you don't need a mantel, you can hang a nice painting.

• pspettel
    last year

Tamara’s porcelain tile mentions above is a awesome. The Oro or Perla have the warm marble tones you’re looking for. That would be my choice for a substantial yet affordable update.

• sparkleivy
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks to all who provided suggestions.

To restate - EVERYTHING in the first floor except my master suite is being redone: entry, curved staircase, living, dining, kitchen, dinette, laundry and this hearth room. So there is NOTHING anchoring me to anything you see here. My one chosen restraint is to leave the fireplace where it is because it would cause issues in the room on the other side of the wall. So full stop on moving it.

Flooring, paint, upgraded baseboards, lightings, etc. will all change. And, because I am redoing the kitchen (cabinet color, pulls, island configuration, appliances, etc.) I have no photos to share. Again, I am not anchored to anything which is why I asked for suggestions now.

Based on the feedback and things I’ve seen online, I’ve decided to go with getting rid of the raised hearth, covering the facade in porcelain tile presuming I can find some that doesn’t fight the quartz countertops I’ve planned for the kitchen (there is a place nearby that has discounted pieces that a friend told me about), adding directional lighting in the ceiling to highlight art above the fireplace and adding some sort of updated insert into the gas firebox. No mantle.

I will share photos in a few months when the remodel is done. Thanks all

• izzbudcan23
    last year

Based on your notes in your original post, what comes to mind for me is to rock this as a mid-century look! E.g., without changing the brick, which starts to be costly, and assuming you can actually use the fire place (someone noted about that above, wisely), here are some thoughts: 1) change your moldings to something without "curves" (the current ones are NOT in keeping with your stated vision for the space); 2) paint the brick a shade of white; 3) remove the mantle completely; 4) do mid-century (very simple, square-edged) floating shelves to the right (away from the bedroom entrance door) and if there's room, smaller ones to the left; and 5) find a great, and large, piece of art to hang on the brick - something "statement-y," and framed to make sense with the shape and feel of the moldings and floating shelves, that will bring the whole space together. The art plus whatever objects you love that tie the art and room together will make a big difference. Don't forget to include the visual impact that a great rug could have too.

• izzbudcan23
    last year

one other thing! if the raised hearth is indeed going away, you could install a small, cool-looking mid-century-vibe stove instead of having an insert.

• Nancy Campbell
    last year

How can i unsubscribe from this website? i have done so several times, and yet there is a new message every day.

• Gizmo
    last year

Re furniture placement and that fireplace if you do staging

Remember seeing a Mario Buatta showhouse room that had a corner fireplace that was very awkward and an obstacle

Mario's advice was ignore it...arrange the furniture in a way that makes sense for the room and don't try to incorporate the poorly placed fireplace

Of course being Mario, the fireplace did look lovely on its w/art above and ob jet on the mantle

ETA - on a recent episode of Help, I wrecked my house, Jasmine changed the HO's stacked stone fireplace that was nicely done but in the wrong color. She used a combo of cement, sand, and lime, to brush on/cover the stone.

The new texture gave it a fresh look.

• HU-608260715
    last year

Also, would strongly consider removing bumpout as master suite entrance and just having french doors in the back wall. Can add reeded glass for privacy, or even shades. This would improve flow and proportions in the room. Then go with suggestions you love from above thread

• Kimberly Carter
    last year

I like the color of the brick and think it would go well with warm neutrals and navy, especially if you use some pillows, a throw or art in a shade that coordinates in the rest of the room. I'd pick a wall color that complements the color of the brick but is lighter or darker enough that the fireplace becomes a focal point. Getting rid of the raised hearth would make it look more modern and less heavy. Because the fireplace is in the corner and the bedroom door is right there, I would treat it as "art", so I would make the mantel darker and go for something dramatic/unexpected in material or shape, depending on your decor. The advantage of this approach is that it isn't expensive, and you can change mantels relatively easy if your tastes change or you get bored with your first choice. I'm not a pro, just someone renovating a house on a budget like you.

• Kimberly Carter
    last year

If you like the edge industrial style can add, picture a "7" with a 90 degree angle made of steel girders painted navy blue or a dark brown. Or pieces of rusty scrap metal welded together into floating shelves of different lengths. Or a living wall with heat and drought tolerant succulents shaped and positioned like a traditional mantel.

• hu818472722
    last year

The location and size of this fireplace is unfortunate as it is too large and jammed into a corner where it looks obvious that it was not original to the scale of the room it was added into. The only wow factor is why anyone would put it there to begin with? If I were replacing the flooring I would remove it entirely and go back to the original corner instead of keeping a feature that looks like an afterthought.

• PAUL BLUM
    last year

Arctic White Mini Ledger Panel 4.5 in. x 16 in. Natural Marble Wall Tile, I used this over my dark brick fireplace.

• Heather Mask
    last year

I look forward to seeing more photos of your remodel! We also struggle with having a corner fireplace in our living room,  as arranging the furniture is quite tricky. I was happy that they applied a whitewash to the dark brick on our fireplace.

• Amy P.
    last year

I had roughly the same problem and just redid mine. I used Structolite (hard to find, but you could have your contractor use an alternate) as a base coat, which fills in all the brick mortar lines and creates an even surface. Then I topped it with Diamond Veneer (which is basically lime plaster), which made a lovely greyish smooth/textured old-world surface (because I'm not a good enough plasterer to get it super smooth, which was convenient :). Then I used lime paint to color it. I'm not super happy with the color of the paint and might change it, but I'm delighted by the overall effect: old-world, lime plastered, textured. You'd need to find a contractor willing to do 2 layers of plaster. The lime paint was fun and easyish to apply, so you might want to do that one yourself. It looks worlds different! (Total cost, $250 in supplies, which includes buying a trowel & hawk.)

• sparkleivy
    Original Author
    last year

@Amy P. This is beautiful!

• sparkleivy
    Original Author
    last year

I remain amazed at the mean, unhelpful, and negative comments when I’m looking for help and inspiration. 😂 I guess it’s a testament to the times. I’ll respond to the latest.

@hu818472722 - It actually is in scale to the full room which I have yet to show because I wanted to focus on fireplace - not furniture placement, lighting, wall color etc. The only issues with the fireplace are the corner placement and dated facade.

I have enjoyed creating WOW moments in surprising ways with unfortunate starting elements in my other homes. I’m sure with some of the lovely input I’ve gotten from several truly helpful commenters I’ll do the same here. Thanks for stopping by…

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

sparkleivy,,,let me comment for amy first and then I have some photoshop ideas for yours!

Amy, that's a great makeover. Is it really that lavender colored? can't you just apply a coat of paint over it? the wood mantle is nice too

Look into Romabio masonry. they have a lime based 'paint' specifically for masonry. You can have this tinted any color

here's a plaster overlay done in a grayish white:

this is a cement overlay in the gray color

or, go dramatic w/the black

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

sparkleivy,,,

so if you like the overlay idea, you could do cement overlay

a roman clay/stucco/plaster overlay, (that one above in the black under Amy is Portola paints plaster)

https://somuchbetterwithage.com/how-to-plaster-a-brick-fireplace/

Another option is a mortar wash. go heavy w/the mortar all over the brick/joints, wipe and let dry

https://www.rebeccaandgenevieve.com/blog/2020/5/3/fireplace-makeover-using-mortar-part-1

You could leave as is or go over it w/a white lime treatment. looks like this. (you need a diff mantle!)

or, you could just paint the brick. (paint w/any type of paint. just depends on the look you want)

BTW, Your lighting looks really yellow. can you upgrade your bulbs a bit?

What do you think about painting your walls white and the brick a matte black?

this color is BM Iron Mountain:

You see the diff in the lighting in this pic below and the photoshop one above?

This lighting is a neutral white. the one you have gives everything a yellowish/pink hue. try using a 3500-4000K bulb. at night, the 2500K is fine if you want a dimmer look.

Here's one w/the brick painted white. Get rid of that mantle you have and go find a wood beam

another white brick but you could top your hearth w/a stone remnant or stone tiles. (like Basalt)

If you plan on replacing those tiny baseboards, it would update the look of the room if you did a 5" , plain baseboard

see the size on these baseboards? like that. Do you like the look of this corner fireplace? They did a heavy lime/mortar wash on it. Notice the bright lighting and white walls with it. looks nice

I love the black brick idea, wood beam mantle, white walls and this type of furniture and light

• sparkleivy
    Original Author
    last year

@Beth H. Thanks for these great suggestions They helped me think of this in various ways. I do think you’re right that I need to get new light bulbs in here asap so I can really see the space and color swatches. And, yes. 5 1/4 baseboards are on the way! I really like that bizarre mantle on the grey fireplace. That specific one isn’t for me, but I love the idea of mantle as art vs uninspiring functional piece.

• Amy P.
    last year

@Beth H. : Thanks! :) The lavender color changes as the daylight changes, but yes, it's quite pink, which was a surprise!! It's Portola's "Prayer" lime paint (for over masonry, plaster, drywall, etc.). They're sending me samples of some other colors to try, as I wanted something less pink. (The greys looks quite sophisticated, but just don't match the rest of my color scheme.)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Amy, you did a great job. I don't mind the color actually. just depends what else you have going on the room.

• paddlerchick
    last year

Check out American Clay. We are going to cover our big, ugly fireplace with drywall and American Clay. We do not use it with wood (illegal in our town) and will have an electric insert. American Clay creates a great, modern surface.

• myoldstonehouse
    last year

@Nancy Campbell

Go to Your Houzz, click on edit profile, go to advance settings and at the very bottom there is a deactivate account button

• sparkleivy
    Original Author
    last year

Reno is happening! The raised hearth, mantle and dated fire screen have been demolished! Flooring, baseboards and crown have been demolished! Whoo Hoo! I’ll post an update soon.

Also, as I’ve mentioned before - the “bump out” for the master CANNOT be removed due to the home layout. And, I do NOT want to remove the fireplace. I was looking for design options to maximize it’s appeal.

Photos of the finished space to come!