Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flgrows9b

Roses and Flooding

flgrows9b
last year

My roses planted on the edge if a pond are under water in the wake of Hurricane Ian. Does anyone have any experience with roses and flooding? I’m wondering how long they can survive submerged, and whether I should try to dig them out and pot them until the water subsides. Right now their tips are still happily blooming above the water.

Comments (16)

• rosecanadian
    last year

How many do you have? Is it possible to dig them all out? Or maybe just your favorites? I'm not familiar with flooding...someone else will have to help you. Good luck :)

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

It is not just the flooding - it is being flooded with salt water. I have no advice, but hoping someone on here will.

Jackie

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    last year
    last modified: last year

If the water is salt or brackish, I can't say. If it's fresh water, they may be able to take flooding some time, I don't know how much. I've had roses survive brief flooding--a day or so--with no harm, and other stay in a very wet situation for a good deal of a winter, but they were dormant. I'm sorry I can't give you other than such very general thoughts.

By the way: good luck! It certainly sounds like you got a lot of water.

• flgrows9b
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for your replies! I’m inland, so at least they’re in freshwater. Based on the rate the water is receding, I’m guessing it will be a few more days before they’re dry. I have 6 underwater. I might try digging up at least two that are still small.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    last year

Don't bother unless you enjoying digging in muck. IME, roses can handle at least 10 days of flooding. They are by far the most flood tolerant of any plants I've kept in pots.

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

mad_gallica, that is so good to know! Hopefully we will not need that knowledge, but you never know. flgrows9b - I did not realize you were inland, and therefore fresh water! That is good news. It sounds like you can just let them be for a few days - they will probably like that much better than being dug up - digging in saturated soil makes it get like concrete.

Jackie

• flgrows9b
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks - this is great to know! I aporeciate everyone’s comments. I think the water will be back down by the end of the week, so I’ll leave them be.

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

Can you post any pictures of where the roses are growing - now, and then after the water recedes, and then in a year or so after you find out which ones recuperated, and which ones did not? Those would be very interesting, and it might be helpful for others to have that info.

Jackie

• flgrows9b
    Original Author
    last year

Absolutely! That’s a great idea.

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

In all of our concern for the roses, I forgot to ask about the rest of your property, and your home. I hope the flooding was only in the garden!

Jackie

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    last year

Thanks for taking the trouble of reporting: this kind of information is interesting and helpful. Good luck with your garden!

• seasiderooftop
    last year

@flgrows9bThank you for this very interesting upda

Thank you for this very interesting update! I'm glad at least two of your roses survived. I hope Mr Tillier can make it too! !

• The Rose Geek
    last year

We had a hurricane last year where the water rose at least 10 feet and most of the roses made it through. If you have brackish water, rather than fresh, it sounds counterintuitive, but once the water recedes you should water the plants to dilute the salt from the soil. Good Luck.

https://youtu.be/P01_32FqVLA

• flgrows9b
    Original Author
    last year

That's great to know, thanks. I'm on fresh water, but that's very interesting. I'm glad your plants made it.

• rosecanadian
    last year

flgrows - I'm glad that some of your roses have lived. :) :) I just googled the topic and found this.

Use pelletized gypsum soil conditioner to reverse salt damage on lawns. The gypsum, or calcium sulfate, replaces the salt with calcium and sulfur, which will help to heal the grass and encourage new growth. It is also useful in helping the soil retain water.

So, I'm thinking to flood the area with tap water and then add gypsum...may help?? Maybe be something to do to remediate the soil now and in the future if this happens again. ??