Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_72899892

Another one of those endless threads...

User
last year

Has been quite active on the other side. Almost 800 posts, and it's basically an ongoing conversation among mainly two people, one being a pro who seems to always be the one involved in the mammoth threads.
I seriously think these are fake. Like two accounts operated by the same person. As many discussions as we have had here, they never veer into the territory of 800+ posts, and certainly not responses consisting of one of two word responses. I think someone believes they are marketing their business this way. I could be wrong, but it's highly suspect.
Why do I care? I don't know. I guess it just bugs me when threads give off a weird vibe and feel inauthentic. YMMV.

Comments (27)

• roarah
    last year
    last modified: last year

I look at those posts as text conversations between the few posters involved and not really anything calculated nor sinister then I scroll on by.

• Tina Marie
    last year

Ida, stay away from there! Your home is here!! hahaha!!! Just kidding. Some threads just bug us. Honestly, I just cannot get into "the other side" and never visit.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Hmm - how about well over 3K posts about Wordle on KT? That one baffles me for sure. I never click on it, just scroll on by. I can't imagine what they're discussing. Maybe one day I'll check 😄

• Olychick
    last year

@carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b people post their scores every day. No conversation at all!

• User
    last year

OMG, thank you for this thread!

I really do not understand how things go here. Some games were moved from KT but not all. Some have conversations, some don’t.

I don’t really care where they are as I only post on one ’ordle’ game (Phrazle) and Lars and I are the only two there but we have waaay more conversation than the other game threads that weren’t moved from KT.

Okay, got that off my chest. 😀

• PRO
    MDLN
    last year

>15 thousand (15,000) ideas for tiny bathroom layout, wow!

• User
    Original Author
    last year

Maybe I'm falsely accusing then. I had no idea that other threads went in the same direction. I never visit the KT, unless something happens to be cross-posted. The threads that are like a telephone conversation that lasts for hours are just weird though.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Well there is one member who can really get arguments going - and going...😉

And there're a few people on the Name That Plants forum who get into p***ing contests too 😄

I feel like business must be slow for some of those Pros on the Design side, if they have the time for posting so much there.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Agree - sometimes pros seem to have a lot of time on their hands. And the home builder forum too. Makes a person wonder.

• PRO
    MDLN
    last year

Corner art >9 thousand (9,000) "good eyes."

• arcy_gw
    last year

I find it frustrating when people post only having read the first post--and often badly. Subsequent posts often veer and when these one post readers come along their comment has already been covered or dealt with. 800 is about 780 more than I would ever hang in for. Even first time if there have been 20 some responses I move on. It's all just too tedious at that point. Perhaps if like other's have wished one could respond directly to a specific post--more like facebook... But I agree at 800 who is really chatting?????

• graywings123
    last year

I find it frustrating when someone posts something outrageous and provocative - often with lots of words in caps- and then never comes back to reply to the responses it provokes.

• justcallmepool
    last year

I find it frustrating when the Home Decorating Conversations tag junks up the front page bc you people can't manage a chat thread and have to start a whole new post just to ask about onions yes or no in potato salad or some simple topic like that.

Seriously? Do you start a whole new text chain with friends for every question?

What is your real issue with long threads? Because for me personally, it is a lot easier to have a long thread to discuss the decor in my whole house, you know since it's nice for it to all flow together, then to create a post for each room where I am then asked the same questions over and over about what does the rest of my house look like. Then I would have to post the same pictures, type the same answers, explain over and over again what I'm aiming for, etc. etc.

Is the problem that you feel you can't catch up or that it's a group you're not included in? Maybe the problem isn't the long thread itself but the lack of usability and function this website has. Or maybe the problem is just you.

And btw, the original poster of that screen shot of a thread posted above is one of the nicest, thoughtful people around this website and you really should be ashamed of yourselves for being grown ass people who still need to gossip.

• Olychick
    last year

My real issue with long threads on decor forums is that they fill up the front page, day after day, bumping off new posters/questions/threads. Conversations forum is just for that and the old ones get bumped down after a few days.

No one is blaming the original poster for the length of the threads, but honestly, if one of my threads was so cumbersome, I'd just delete the whole thing so I didn't have to see it every time I got onto the forums.

• justcallmepool
    last year

Previously Houzz moved them to the "Other" category when they got long and not on the original topic. Maybe complain to them.

• cawaps
    last year

I learned a long time ago to check the date of the original post on threads. Keeps me from clicking on necro-spam and also the 800-reply threads. I neither know nor care what direction they've headed in.

But to justcallmepool's point, I'm with Oly. The threads still bother me because they take up real estate on page 1 that could otherwise go to new, or at least recent, questions. When half the page is taken up by either necro-spam or long, old, threads that I stopped clicking on two years ago, there's less to keep me engaged and coming back.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

The Native Plants forum had one thread that had more than 1000 posts IIRC. I posted on that thread several times and started a few of my own. No one ever responded to mine, It seemed as if the person who dominated that very long thread was just using it as his own forum. Suddenly, no more Native Plants forum. Very odd.

• pudgeder
    last year

Jinx, you rock.

• Jilly
    last year

Pudgeder, I adore you … whether you put onions in your potato salad or not.

😁

On a sidenote, I love cole slaw. Tried it at a new place recently and it was so full of purple onions, ugh! My GERD is still punishing me for my very bad decisions that day.

GERD has a temper and holds a grudge!

Brb … gonna post about it on Design Dilemma.

• Olychick
    last year

Jinx, lol, lol, lol!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    last year

oh yes, Jinx_ i do wuv you. 🙂

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

FWIW, I believe justcallmepool did state that these threads do show up on the Houzz discussions front page for everyone to see and access.

And tho their comments were a bit salty, I think it just goes to show that what some might think of as a private forum most certainly is not. It's fair to assume there are always other eyeballs looking at these pages, since they can also come up in web search results. This may be a partially hidden conversations board, but it's not completely incognito.

Isn't it the case that someone who's not a member can still read, even if they cannot post a reply?

P.S. @ Olychick - I did finally click and the fact that people are only posting their results makes that even more baffling to me! I play Wordle daily too, but it never occurred to me that anyone would be interested in my results.

• Olychick
    last year

@carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b I think when Wordle started people were so excited about how fun it was that we all wanted to share or sometimes brag or commisserate. Then it just became a habit or part of doing the puzzle. And like someone mentioned, there are a couple of people who like to chat there.

• User
    Original Author
    last year

I don't think of this as a private forum, and would say what I said in my original post upthread on the other side without qualms. However, the endless thread phenomenon is something we have discussed here before, and my recollection is that it's been one or two of the same pros on the other side who typically keep them going. And that's why I posted about it here. But I can't imagine any of us consider this forum to be private, as lurkers do crawl out and make their presence known from time to time.

• Olychick
    last year

And people unfamiliar wth the forums will sometimes post a random decorating question here, too.

I always wonder if the prolific pro posters aren’t trying for huge numbers of posts for awards or something? Like is ”Best if Houzz” awarded by the number of posts? For some of them displaying that, it’s got to be something other than quality of design. Especially the pros who don’t give any advice in thread after thread, but post on nearly every new post in every forum that SHE needs more info, measurements, more pics, etc and thats all she ever says. Then the helpful people post lots of great ideas without needing more info. She never goes back to those threads, but seemingly HAS to post on every new post.

• lkloes
    last year

Olychick (not sure how to tag you from my iPad), I agree with you 100%! There is one “pro” who is in such a rush to be the first to comment that she blurts out gibberish with typos and no punctuation. Usually it’s written with a nasty tone and, if she does offer advice, it’s the same two or three photos and/or tips that may not reflect the OP’s stated style, constraints, or wishes. Not helpful at all.