Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_268755758

Windows... Design Dilemma, help!

Elizabeth Williams
last year
last modified: last year

Hi all!

I received quotes for Sliding Glass Doors from: Vitrocsa, Styline, Fleetwood, Western, Euro-Wall, and NanaWall.

They are all thin, minimalistic frames for a new contemporary home (thermally-broken aluminum).

I need Sliding Glass Windows to match the doors, but only Fleetwood & Western offer them, and to be honest, they're still kinda thick. The upscale providers tend to only focus on casement, fixed, awning, etc, but, my home is a breezy Hawaii home that needs 24/7 ventilation with bug screens.

Can anybody suggest another place I could source matching sliding windows, thin frames?

Here's some pics of the doors:

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

What does the person that designed the house have to offer?

• dan1888
    last year

I think you can get the ventilation you need with filtration with an ERV system.

• Elizabeth Williams
    Original Author
    last year

@Mark Bischak, Architect Nothing, they died. ... . I wouldn't be here on Houzz if I had any leads.

• Elizabeth Williams
    Original Author
    last year

@dan1888 It's an off-grid home that runs on solar panels, so no. 100% humidity, needs natural breezes. Do you know of any window suppliers in thin frames?

• millworkman
    last year

Ask those manufacturers about sliding windows, Western definitely does, and I do believe both Western does as well. You could also look at Arcadia, they would make both as well.

• melissa_co808
    last year

Why don't you ask an architect or your builder for sources? You said your home designer died but you know there's more out there to hire? You are building a lux Hawaii home and sourcing these things yourself? I'm currently building in Hawaii too and couldn't imagine how time consuming sourcing and figuring out shipping logistics is. Not to mention the cost just to get it here, yikes! Let me know if you'd like me to refer you to my architect. I've lived in Hawaii 32 years and never had 100% humidity. 60 to high 70's is average.

• Elizabeth Williams
    Original Author
    last year

@melissa_co808 HI! Yes, you may recommend your architect to me, what's his name or website?

• Elizabeth Williams
    Original Author
    last year

@millworkman I did look at Arcadia, unfortunately, they don't do sliding windows. And yes, Fleetwood and Western do it, but as I mentioned, they aren't the "thinnest" frames in the world, although much slimmer than places like Milgard, Pella, Andersen, etc. I have asked Vitrocsa, Styline, Euro-Wall, and NanaWall, so far Euro-Wall responded with "no", I'll see what the others say.

• millworkman
    last year

Look at Reynears Windows as well. I will look for a narrow sightline manufacturer today if I get a moment.

• Elizabeth Williams
    Original Author
    last year

@millworkman Thanks! I just spoke to a rep from Nanawall for about 1 hour, very helpful, lots of useful nuggets. He kinda sold me on the idea of tilt/turn or hopper windows, as opposed to sliding windows. They can still have bugs screens on the exterior but give you more glass/more view. He also suspects that you feel more airflow than a standard sliding, because air sometimes gets funneled "faster" through smaller, narrower openings.

• millworkman
    last year

Tilt & Turns are a fine product for sure.

• dan1888
    last year

A Zehnder ComfoAir 350 has a range of DC motor power settings from 10w-198watt of consumption. The cost of the unit could allow you to forgo the expense of a number of T&T opening windows beyond what's required for egress. Fixed thin frame windows instead. The price difference will be significant. Size your solar panel system and LFP batteries for the consumption. It's a minimal add for ventilation. For solar panels check Longi. That's the panel Tesla is installing on the Texas factory.