Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellepod

Engineered wood floors

Elle
last year

Hi, can anyone from personal experience recommend a brand and series of a good engineered wood floor. Looking for 2 or 3 wear layer (It will be going in my kitchen and attached den (current den porcelain floor is sitting on a concrete slab), (and kitchen is real hardwood). We are combining rooms.

We have gone to so many floor stores (decorator stores and regular floor stores), all salespeople rave, than I bring samples home and read horrible reviews. (scratches easy, etc.) I hired a decorator for help and even what she recommended turned out to be easily scratched.

I finally thought I found the perfect one today, Mohawk Seaside Tides, but then like all the rest I've brought home, bad reviews and the sample scratched easily using a penny lightly.

I am doing a complete kitchen reno and contractor/demo starts 10/24/22. I need someone other than a salesperson to tell me what brand really holds up.

Thank you

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

I redid mine w/Calif Classics-Mediterranean

It's a wider plank french oak w/a wire brush finish.

I've had them for almost 4 years now and they're great. I have cats that vomit all the time over them and it cleans up beautifully. I've spilled water, stuff from the kitchen, whatever, and it's always cleaned up like new

https://californiaclassicsfloors.com/hardwood-flooring/mediterranean-hardwood-flooring.aspx

This color is Granville

here's a closeup

I also had used this flooring first on my bathroom ceiling! a lady on craigslist was selling her leftovers for $4 a sq ft! heck of a deal. this color is Kerrew.

3 years later when I went to remodel the kitchen, I came across the same flooring option! I liked it so much on the ceiling, I decided to do the rest of the floors w/it. I bought 850 sq feet.

some other colors are on the right

Provenza is a similar type of floor

another poster on here did these with Monarch-tablue latour

Monarch herringbone.

I wished they would have had this when I redid my bedroom (when I did the bathroom) I ended up going w/a solid acacia.

Elle thanked Beth H. :
  • Elle
    Original Author
    last year

Beth, Thank you so much for the information. Happens to be a dealer very close to my home. I really appreciate your response.

• btydrvn
    last year

Engineered wood is a downgrade from hardwood…

Elle thanked btydrvn
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year
    last modified: last year

IMO you can only use engineered on a concrete floor so it is what it is as for scratching IMO any floor can scratch. I have LVP and it has stood up to 3 huge dogs in and out of a dog run via a doggie door in all kinds of weather a quick mop up looks like new 15 yrs later with a couple of new huge dogs . IMO if this a big issue get LVP.

• H D
    last year

Patricia, I’m also deciding between LVT and engineered hardware, this would be over concrete. What brand LVT did you use, if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve read so many different reviews, it’s hard to know what’s best! Thanks!

• H D
    last year

*LVP. Sorry for the typo!

Elle thanked H D
  • Jennifer Hogan
    last year

There is no perfect flooring.

I have owned animals and often lots of animals and I don't get the scratches easily except for wood. I have seen wood floors destroyed by pets/claws

I owned 10 indoor cats and 4 indoor dogs and did foster care (worked for a humane society).

I had tile in most of the house at that time, but I had a sunroom that led to the backyard that had sheet vinyl. Never had any scratches on the tile or the sheet vinyl in 20+ years.

I moved and now have just one dog, but she is a German Shorthaired Pointer and tears through my house like she is on crack. I also do quite a bit of dog sitting and often have other dogs here as well. I have LVT made by Coretec (their waterproof + line) and not a scratch to be found. Not done renovating and still have old sheet vinyl in the kitchen and laundry - again, no scratches (Have slate in my entry - No scratches).

Grew up in a household with 6 kids / tons of pets / grandkids later . . . My mom had linoleum and carpet and then covered the linoleum with sheet vinyl after about 15 years. Her floors weren't scratched. I lived in my roller skates for years and didn't damage my mom's floors. My siblings all have pets and have variety of flooring materials.

Issues I have found - Hard wood destroyed by urine and pet nails. Cartpet destroyed by urine and nails. White/very light Vinyl that yellowed in traffic lane, Tile that cracked due to an earthquake, joint issues with tile flooring (Human joints not flooring joints). Sheet vinyl destroyed by a Doberman that was housed in a laundry room when the owners were at work.

The dog was nuts - also ate through a door, destroyed the dryer door, chewed the window casings and ate through an exterior wall and was found outside one day when the owners returned home from work).

I have also visited hundreds of homes and have never noticed floor damage other than wood or carpet in anyone's home. I don't hear friends and family members complaining about damaged flooring. What are people doing to cause all this scratching/damage?

Then again, I have lived with Formica countertops for 60 years and have never scorched, burned, cut, stained or scratched a Formica countertop either. My sister's marble countertop scratched/etched/stained. Family has not had issues with Granite, Quartz, Quartzite or Formica, just with the one marble countertop.

Elle thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • btydrvn
    last year

We have had Cortec LVP for over 20 years..chose the upgrade quality as is looked the most real…installed on concrete…no pad..no glue…not one complaint..we have water issues as we are on a mountain side…which led us to this choice…would choose it again anywhere for the look..feel…and the fact that it doesn’t show soil or dust..very easy maintenance…

Elle thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    last year

It makes me sad to hear a dog is left in a laundry room all day…why have a dog if that is the best life you can give them?

• Helen
    last year

I installed Mirage engineered floors when I remodeled and they have held up beautifully. Mine are everywhere but the bathrooms.

I did a good amount of research and Mirage had a relatively thick wear layer and a very strong finish. Honestly the finish was more important to me than the wear layer since I would never refinish floors because of the logistics.

Mine are a natural finish oak - I just wanted them to be innocuous as I have some beautiful area rugs so the floor is not the star.

In my experience light finishes are easier to maintain since they don't show the dust and if there are dents and scratches - which inevitably there will be with any wood floor, they don't show. I only see a imperfections when the sun is shining at the right angle and there aren't many at all.

Also to the extent it is relevant Mirage is a Canadian company and so it theoretically practices green harvesting as well as green manufacturing and so I felt more confident than with a product manufactured in China.

Elle thanked Helen
  • Jennifer Hogan
    last year

@btydrvn - I understand it sounds cruel, but many pets are confined during the day when owners are at work and with dogs that chew a lot a crate can be the safest way to leave them alone while your working.

I am lucky that I can work from home, but I have had times in my life where I worked in an office and had to leave pets at home during the day while at work. I have had dogs that I could easily leave in the house without confining them and have had others that were chewers and could have gotten hurt or could have destroyed furnishings/belonging while I was gone and I had one rescue that sometimes got too aggressive with the other dogs in the house and I wouldn't have ever left him alone with the other dogs while I was away. I could break up a fight if I was there, but if I wasn't there someone could have been hurt. I also had a cat that would urinate on my pillow, my bed, my laundry, my mail pile - whatever she found that was mine if I left the house. She never did anything like that when I was at home unless I had my keys in my hand and she would stare at me as she walked over an urinated on something - one day she peed in my purse. It was her way of punishing me for leaving her. Instead of having her euthanized, I crated her before getting my keys out. My current dog, left alone every Saturday when I go grocery shopping and run errands is crated when I leave. I can leave her alone in the house for about an hour, but if it is much longer than an hour she has completely stripped my beds. She will pull the pillows, blankets, and sheets from my bed and the spare room bed and pile them in the living room where she makes herself a nice bed to lay on while she waits for me. She never chews anything, just redecorates for me.

This happened while I was talking with a neighbor and Willow was in the house. I was outside maybe 20 minutes. The blanket is from my spare room, the purple gray rug is from the master bath and the pillow is from the master bedroom.

All of my animals have had wonderful lives filled with lots of love and kindness, but loving them doesn't mean I won't crate or confine them.

Elle thanked Jennifer Hogan