Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psiter

Selling my grandmothers house

Phoebe Siter
10 years ago
I'm trying to help my mother out with selling her mothers house. She built this house 7years ago to be handicap accessible for her.
The problem is that the kitchen/living room layout seems to turn people off, maybe it's the colors too, and we need to do something with it. Any suggestions are welcome. I was thinking of painting the kitchen a warmer color, maybe adding a backsplash and changing the hardware.
I'm including the link to the listing too in case anyone has any stellar ideas on what else to change. The house is empty now and we may stage it with a few items. Again, suggestions welcomed!
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/460-Marshall-St-Paxton-MA-01612/81946096_zpid/

Comments (39)

• PRO
    S Squared Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Hi there! Good starting point for great kitchen. The layout doesn't seem weird to me and it has ample space and lots of storage. I think aesthetically the cabinets are in great shape, but the things I would change would be put in a darker floor, something that contrasts with the cabinets. Also, change the cabinet pulls, those looks to be a little dated and that's an inexpensive way to update a space, looks like you have a satin nickel faucet, maybe do a satin nickel finish on the pulls. The wall color seems to fight with the cabinets, something that is brighter and more in the same yellow-ish tone that is in the cabinets. As for the living room, not every house is going to appeal to everyone. Layouts may not work for some but that's the world of real estate for you! Hope this helps!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Are you familiar with what other homes in the area are going for or what they have in terms of appliances, etc. and are you willing or able to spend any money? My first reaction to the layout is that it's a bit awkward as neither a true open kitchen nor it's own separate space. But that is likely not something you can change. My other thought was I don't generally love white appliances with wood cabinets, and I am wondering if the home is located somewhere where people are expecting stainless. Part of the appliance and layout issue for me is also the fact that you can see the whole side of the fridge from the living room. As a buyer, other things that for me would equal work and money are the carpeting and the dated ceiling fans.
    I completely understand that you may not be able to change any or most of these things and hopefully your realtor has priced the home taking those things into consideration. But that is just my general feedback.
    Personally, I would not spend the money on a backsplash as those are taste specific. The cabinet hardware seems like a better element to spend your money on.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    I looked at the listing photos. The outside of the house is very attractive. The problem is the way the inside of the house is presented. It is very "old lady". I know it is hard for a relative to look at a family home with fresh eyes. I think you could have a much faster sale with a professional stager. If you have a few hundred dollar budget for fix-up, I would spend it on paint, a few other cosmetic changes and rent or buy some staging props such as linens. You and the agent need to be a team, both pulling in the same direction with enthusiasm and energy to market the property. You can be more hands off if you hire a stager.

For the kitchen, I would paint a cream color, add the brushed nickel knobs S Squared recommended, add some fresh new towels in bright colors, and clear off the rest of the counter. The overall yellowness is overwhelming, but it may not be worth the money to change the flooring or the countertops in your market.

If the house is empty of furniture now, then rent some to stage if you have the budget. In any event, have the agent retake the photos once you have finished staging. The current indoor photos are not showing your house to advantage.
  • msp1tzer
    10 years ago
    Super-cute house - I love Cape style homes. The first thing I noticed when looking at the listing was the carpet, and that can be a turnoff. It is especially obvious of the house is empty - every little spot or stain is that much more obvious. Can your budget stretch to hard wood floors? I would consider that before a backsplash.
  • PRO
    Skye Interior™
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Paint is always the cheaper way you can do. Paint the cabinet to white and add some nickel hardware. If you don't like white then go for dark brown. Wood cabinets are out and depending on your budget, stainless appliances( fridge, stove and microwave) sell faster. You don't really need to add back splash.

For the living room, re-paint the wall to neutral color such as taupe or gray and change the ceiling fan to a nice chandelier. Try overstock, they have nice selection and its in expensive. Also, hard wood floor in the living room attract many buyers. I also, suggest painting the front door to red. Red door, sells faster.

For staging, get rid of old sofa and table. Use nicer & updated furniture. If you really want to sell the house within days, you have to change few things and that's the faster way to attract new home buyers.

Hope to see the after pix.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Great curb appeal ... carpet should be replaced as that stood out most to me.

Instead of backsplash, I would get a different color countertop ... light ...
  • mrsfrida
    10 years ago
    I think the kitchen would look great if the hardware was darker and if your appliances were black/dark. You wouldn't have to do anything else and it would all match well with the wall and cabinets color.
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    10 years ago
    I think this is a really cute house! It could be easily spruced up. I had many of the same thoughts as Apple Pie above... Light color in the kitchen- cream. New silver knobs. A contemporary rug to break up the beige flooring... Gentle chevron, something like that. I wouldn't bother with the backsplash- new owner can add.

And staging for the living room. I don't mind the paint color. The furniture is holding the room back. Needs a Crate & Barrel once over :) Young & fresh for buyers...

Good luck!
    Jessamy
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- I helped my parents with their house -- we painted the whole interior with a primer tinted slightly to an antique /warm white , and gave the floors and carpets a professional cleaning . For yours - you could also maybe change the kitchen cabinet hardware to something more current or spray paint the old ones . Chrome is always fresh and current looking. Replace or take down any dated window coverings That's all you need . My parents house sold in three days and it was not staged . It just looked all fresh and clean and smelled good . HINT: When you have a showing have some ground cinnamon in a pie pan or cast iron pan and put in a low oven or on a top burner on min . It will make the house smell wonderful . The smell of home baking is always a seller .
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    I'd thumb that multiple times, if I could, DMH.
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    In terms of bolstering the credibility of your property as 'accessible,' all accessible features should be showcased, which some of them have in the listing pics. As indianpatti and msp1tzer suggest, the carpet should go and be replaced with either hardwood or laminate flooring. If the buyers want, they can place area rugs in the living and dining rooms, but if accessibility is needed, your home meets that need. In terms of the kitchen, I would suggest, if my orientation is correct, that the dining room behind the refrigerator wall should be open to the kitchen--at least under the cabinets, so that the two rooms are not closed off from each other, and you create a pass-thru, with possibly a 12-18" overhang, where a hutch or stools could be placed below on the dining room side. As the dining room appears to be on the smallish side, the cantilevered counter may not be a good idea, but the open feeling you'd create would be. Now I believe the most important issue to correct is this: Regardless of how mobile any of your potential buyers might be, they want to have the capability to enter through the front door of their own home. Currently, they could not in this home. With a little transplanting, some concrete and a little reconfiguration at the front stoop, they could! In terms of seniors alone, not to mention families dealing with injuries, children with limited mobility, et al, in just Paxton and Worcester, you have an audience of over 2500 potential buyers who are 65+. Economics alone, at $310k, if this home made it possible for an individual or a couple to stay in the home, vs moving into a 400 s.f. assisted living apt., to live in a private pay environment this nice would cost $60k/yr for an individual, and likely $90-100k/yr for a couple. With the average stay of 5 years, that is $300-500k. A couple could buy this house, and live conservatively @ $30k/yr for 5 years for $500k or less, and they would have 100% equity in the home! This home would also work well for a multi-generational family taking care of their own parent(s). This home, part of your Grandmother's legacy, has so much potential to do good for the right people, who are underserved by residential design, in most instances. You have a gem, it just needs to have a little polish and then be marketed to the right audience: NOT seniors specifically, but those needing accessibility in their home environment. I have a couple of other ideas, but I need to sketch them out for you. I hope this serves as encouragement, because you have a real asset, if it is marketed properly. Happy Houzzing.
  • PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    10 years ago
    I would consider doing a white subway back splash to tie the cabinets and appliances together. It's inexpensive (about $2 a sq. ft. at Home Depot) and a pretty easy DIY. Then add new hardware and maybe a faucet.
  • Jenny Lai
    10 years ago
    That is a gorgeous house! The outside and curb appeal alone is an eye catcher. However the first thing I notice like what DMH said was the inconvenience of the eating area and kitchen being so separated. Does the kitchen connect to the dining room? Can't tell by the photos.
  • PRO
    N.O.R,LLC
    10 years ago
    it s really nice house and welcome every buyer
    when i stage any house I stay few hours in open house and listen to people comment and i m always amaze
    They are buying almost million dollar house and they talk about appliance
    there are some items that make impact buyer :
    1-introduce the right function of the space (they dont have enough time to spend and figure out how they can use this space ,you need to design layout for them)
    2-paint and color choices :I can see your existing color and furniture doesn't blend together

it would be help full if you make plan and see how small and how big you want to do this project and get some estimate some of the item might not adding to your house value and you can skip it.
    Staging is always helpful ,some agent try to avoid professional staging when house stay in market for few month they hire designer to stage
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    DMH Design is absolutely right. "Classic Cape Cod with Ground Floor Master Suite" is the way to advertise this house. It has "universal design", not "handicap" features. The real estate agent needs to rewrite the ad.
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    As stated above, has great curb appeal. Along with correcting the listing, I also think the house should be "staged". Unfortunately "empty" houses are a turn off to buyers. Hire a stager and see what advice she offers.
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    It's a great home and agree with most suggestions above. Most buyers want move in ready. Go neutral with the paint colors though. The wall color in the living room is making the carpet look old. Once the home is neutral, in the kitchen just add some pops of white. A pretty area rug is a great way to do this. You want buyers to come in and see clean, large rooms and great flow.
    Albescent OC-40 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
    Twisted, Lemon Rug, Sample Swatch · More Info
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Phoebe--Here is my idea of how to make the kitchen and dining work better. Accessiblity works best when a majority of the functonality in your home can be easily reached from a seated position. These ideas try, as best, to do this, with rearranging things, not a total gut and redo of this area. There are probably 3 versions of how to approach these issues, just follow the numbers & the notes. I don't have all the images to determine if this is possible, but I think in some form or another, it is, and would be of great benefit to your real estate endeavors. No doubt there is someone in Paxton looking for exactly what your house can be with a few changes. Happy Houzzing and best wishes to you!
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Paint the kitchen (and living room) walls offwhite, it creates a nice fresh look (and white walls are good to tickle a person's imagination). The carpet was my first eyesore too. Maybe spend some money on a neutral vinyl throughout, such as woodprint (not the cheapest though, they often look bad).
    Rustic Modern · More Info
  • victorianbungalowranch
    10 years ago
    I agree with most of the comments above. The downstairs wall color clashes with the carpet, so one should be changed. The grey/green wall color is actually pretty nice, if the flooring was different. (see listing photos for a better feel) The carpet looks like it is decent condition, so it may be worth cleaning it professionally. New flooring really adds up, but could be worthwhile in your market. If you do, go for quality.

I wouldn't bother to paint the cabinets, but a really good scrub might be helpful, and might actually lighten the yellow tinge. A classic white subway tile backsplash or a light antique white paint would brighten it up considerably, and make the white appliances and outlets and trim fit in better.

Personally, I think staging the kitchen, dining and living room should be enough to freshen it--the existing furniture isn't too bad except for the big recliner. You have almost a blank slate, so perhaps just a consult, or online coaching here, would be enough, or a color consultation to give you ideas and to get the tones to work together. Perhaps just rearranging a bit and adding a dash of color and a couple of side chairs to make it seem more inviting. Fresh white towels and removing clutter from bedrooms should be enough.

And I would stain or paint the exposed pressure treated lumber in the screen porch and back deck. White stain and a grey floor/steps will make it blend in with the existing trim and make it look much more finished, and will protect it as well.
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Another thought: depending on zoning, the basement, when finished, could serve as an attached ADU, or a future caregiver's apt. As an ADU, if allowed, it could generate income for the owners or serve as a caregiver's apt, which would cut down on the in-home care cost. The bsmt. will be required to be of code mandated fire resistive construction if it is ever a rental. That being said, this house has so many positives going for it. HH!
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    I love this house! it is beautiful! If I were househunting in that neighborhood, I would buy that house just as it is because I like to choose my own paint and cosmetic changes. I do believe that no furniture at all would be preferable to the furniture there currently. Some people can't see past grandma's things. Others need to see updated furniture. But no furniture will at least give no negative impressions.

DMH, once again, you are a true professional that understands the market and always has great insight and ideas!
  • msterling
    10 years ago
    I'm not sure I'd invest any renovation dollars, but I agree with the recommendations to edit any furniture that has a grandmotherly feel. From looking at the listing of nearby homes on the market, and the recent listed sale on the same street (comparing lot size and square footage) perhaps it is just a pricing issue because the house is lovely. I think a flooring credit would be attractive to a buyer.
  • amirahas
    10 years ago
    DMH makes some good points. Go simple on any cosmetic changes, like a gentle off white paint on the kitchen walls... It's a lovely house & lot. Good luck!
  • rjdion
    10 years ago
    The asking price is well above the average for the area.
    Not many homes in Paxton are listed for $200 per square foot.
  • lakemilton
    10 years ago
    When my 28 year old daughter got married a few years ago we looked at a house that was owned by a grandma and the first thing my daughter thought was maybe the person had passed there and she didn't want to see another thing. Hope that doesn't sound mean but I would never tell anyone it was your grandmothers house unless you can say she is still with us. I would get rid of anything that looks like grandma furniture. I would just make sure things are really clean windows included let in a lot of light. In todays market we are all losing money before I were to spend money staging and decorating I would come down a little in price. Lots of people want to change things after they move in. Just my opinion. The house is really nice and has a lot of potential.
  • lakemilton
    10 years ago
    by the way DMH is a great guy to spend his time on this. I would hire someone like him in a minute!!! Great advise to
  • vmedin1900
    10 years ago
    If it's in the budget paint kitchen cabinets off white, new granite counter tops and hardware including the faucet and sink. Clean the carpet, add an area rug and define each area by rearranging furniture, de clutter so stage ,stage.
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    I'm not sure what the solution would be, but for me the sink and upper cabinets being off center is distracting. Maybe remove the cabinet on the left and replace it with shelving? I would also encase the fridge with cabinetry so that it isn't as obvious from the living area.
    Remove rugs. If there's room to splurge it would be hard wood in the living room and slate entry IMO. I think the kitchen is neat and serviceable, but most buyers would want to correct the awkward layout. Dining area should be open to the LR, the kitchen shouldn't unless it's an entirely open plan.
  • PRO
    Amy Hagedorn, BID
    10 years ago
    Don't do anything that costs too much. People are probably turned off not because of the layout but because of the materials .. Modernize and brighten it. Try new flooring perhaps a 1x2 porcelain light taupe or med warm grey. Lighten the walls. Definitely add. Contemporary hardware. Brushed chrome skinny pulls. Backsplash would add too it. Try white subway tile .. Perhaps also a new faucet. .. Remember not all of these things need to be done. Just a list of suggestions.
  • PRO
    Amy Hagedorn, BID
    10 years ago
    Also update the counter surface new plastic laminate. Or if you want to invest more try white quartz
  • Gail Wolverton
    10 years ago
    Seriously...you just want the house to sell! Repaint the walls in more contemporary colors...and to freshen them...take off the doors of first 2 cupboards on each side of sink to make them open shelves...too closed in looking....a dark area rug in kitchen will anchor room. Living room needs paint and staging
  • bhanubabu
    10 years ago
    Ń.

"
  • Gail Wolverton
    10 years ago
    Actually dont know if it is possible ...but if you can end the shelving on the sides you have room for glass shelving with bright beautiful objets dart or a piece of artwork...anything to give some color or interest and to break up the monotony of the kitchen ?
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    @Phoebe Siter: how is it going?
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Personally, I think an empty house shows better than a staged house, since staging can be very taste-specific. I recently sold two houses which were rentals--the house which was handicapped accessible took about three months, and the other house was on the market for two weeks and was under contract sight unseen. The only thing I would recommend is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! That would include complete new neutral paint throughout (same color). New carpet (neutral) or hardwood in the living and dining room, and new blinds. The reason I think an empty house sells better is the FACT that a buyer can more easily see their own furniture in the space, and measurements can be taken more easily.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    It would also appear to me that the house is priced accurately for the area you are selling in, having some familiarity with Massachusetts.
  • R Robulock
    10 years ago
    This house is gorgeous!

My advice would be not to go crazy and spend lots of money fixing it up. The house looks great, the kitchen & bathrooms are in great shape.

The only thing I realized is that the kitchen is very visible and bold from the entrance of the house, it sticks out like a soar thumb, but not relatively soar.

The living room is nice but the color on the wall is too light and not the right tone with the kitchen in the background.

First, I would put a rug in the middle of the kitchen to warm it up a bit, maybe a red with off-white stripes, something warm.

Second, paint the living room a tan or very light brown to disguise the kitchen in the background. It will work. Other than that, I would NOT spend anymore on a house.

Let me tell you a quick story, we went out of our way to upgrade our old house to sell it. I later passed by to visit the new homeowners to see how they were and they got rid of everything that we put money and effort into the last months we were there.

They got all new appliances and completely painted the house, so either way, a homeowner will do the upgrades that they want. What happened to all of the appliances and new blinds and closet organizers, she sold them and the rest gave away. That is where our money went. So please, this house is great, just be patient and you will find a buyer.