Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allisonpinto

Best pink paint color for cottage exterior in Sarasota?

A P
last year
last modified: last year

Thinking about painting this little cottage pink. It's located in Sarasota, FL. It has a metal roof now, and the windows will stay as is. Does anyone have experience and recommendations re: Sherwin Williams pinks? Any suggestions for corresponding colors, too? We are ok with quirky :)

Let's see if the photo attaches successfully this time...

Comments (44)

• A P
    Original Author
    last year

Here's the house...

• A P
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, @Jennifer Hogan! Here is the cottage...

• la_la Girl
    last year

I have seen several articles written about SW State Street (pink) exteriors

• Jilly
    last year

Your cottage is so darling!

I’ve posted that Begonia house above several times, love it. Someday I hope we can all talk someone into using it. :D

I think it with the black trim would look great on your house.

Another —

These makeovers are both SW Mellow Coral:

https://www.younghouselove.com/shop-beach-house/

https://landoflaurel.com/2018/10/23/its-piiiiinkkk/

Hope you show us afters!

• cat_ky
    last year

Adorable cottage. I really think that begonia would look fanastic on your house.

• Jilly
    last year

The Begonia house in different lights. I wanted to show these because it can lean more on the red/orange side of coral.

• ffpalms
    last year

I just had the most enjoyable time looking at pink houses. Here are two options using white and pale pink.

• marmiegard_z7b
    last year

I like the idea of something in between the dusty pink and the Begonia.

• ffpalms
    last year

One more pale pink plus a plant suggestion.

• ffpalms
    last year

• Jilly
    last year

^^^ I want that house!

• ffpalms
    last year

Me too, Jinx!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Some of the cottages are Conch Shell Pink in Color. (A bit of coral in the pink)

• jaja06
    last year

We painted our FL house SW “Reddish.” Might be worth a try.

• A P
    Original Author
    last year

So many great and very different options! We will get a few quarts and see how they look on the house. I like the whole range - the pale pinks like Mellow Coral or Bella Pink, the mid range like Amaryllis, and the hot pinks like Pink Flamingo or Begonia. Those flowering shrubs are beautiful too! I work near Tampa so maybe I can drive around Tampa Heights and find the Begonia Bungalow :) The Reddish color looks great on the Mediterranean style house too. So many options...

• Jilly
    last year

How fun it would be to see The Begonia! It’s famous here. :)

The IG pics I posted are from the painting business who did it.

Can’t wait to see what you decide!

I do think something a bit more saturated would be fun and show up in your setting better.

• ratherbesewing
    last year

Sherwin Williams White Truffle

• Maureen
    last year

First decide if you want bold or soft and then start to narrow down colors.

I’d suggest soft, given the prominent porch and metal roof.

A trim color perhaps should be another consideration.

Think of the package and don’t forget landscaping.

https://www.bhg.com/gardening/gardening-by-region/south/florida-plants/

• A P
    Original Author
    last year

The soft pink is what we were first imagining, but now that we've seen some bright pink examples, and held paint chips up to the side of the house, we are finding ourselves leaning in that direction! There are several huge old wild orchid trees on the property that are dripping with pink blossoms when they bloom, which the house could reference. Also, the family who built the house over 100 years ago was Italian, and the neighborhood is historically and predominantly African American, so those could be reference points as well. Any thoughts about SW pink flamingo versus SW Begonia versus (?) ?

• Jilly
    last year

I agree — in your setting and hot climate, I think something more saturated would look better. Too soft of a pink would get lost, faded, would look more white.

I don’t think Mellow Coral is too pale…. it’s in a coastal setting in my first link. I like Pink Flamingo, too, it reminds me of Key West (researching The Keys houses might provide inspiration, too).

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

It depends on what shades you love. Begonia to me is a saturated Salmon, not quite as orange as coral, not quite as purple as flamingo. Which one will go best with your trim and landscape with the lighting in your climate is something you will need to test.

When I was looking for a house color for my last home I drove through neighborhoods until I found something I loved, went up to the front door and rang the bell. They were home and had the colors on the cans stored in the garage. You might not be that lucky, but you can take pictures or even use a color muse to try to match the color if the owners don't know the paint color.

https://hextoral.com/side-by-side/pink-flamingo-sw-0080-vs-begonia-sw-6599/

Similar BM Shades

Similar SW Shades

• A P
    Original Author
    last year

Wow, cool! Thanks for pulling all this info together! We got a jar of Begonia, Pink Flamingo and Grenadine and will try them out on the house. Eager to see how they compare. Thanks again!

• Marylee H
    last year

At your latitude BM Rosetone would be both lighter & less pink.

🌸

• A P
    Original Author
    last year

We are trying out 4 bright pink options...hard to find a time when all 4 are in the sun, but this gives you a sense of them...what do you all think?

• wsea
    last year

Hard to tell with the varying sunlight but i personally like the one on the far left the best based on this view. seems to be a nice balance between being to orange or too purple

• Jilly
    last year

Ooo, that’s tough. I like them all, but do wonder if the one on the far right leans too red?

My favs, in order (from L - R):

Seeing them in person, what do you think?

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

It is very difficult to determine when using photos on the internet - everyone's display shows the colors differently.

What I am seeing the 2nd color is too pink/purple.

#1, #3 and #4 are each in such different lighting that it is hard to know what they will look like in both the sun and the shade.

If I had to rank based solely on this picture it would be L-R

• A P
    Original Author
    last year

It's true that the colors in the picture don't quite look like they do in real life. We were sure from the samples that we would love Dragonfruit, which is #2, but it comes across as a bit too Barbie Dreamhouse. Then thought we'd go for #1, which is Grenadine and is such a clear bright pink in the color swatch, as compared to Pink Flamingo, which looks relatively duller as a color swatch. But on the side of the house, Pink Flamingo (#4) looks best! It is bright like the others but had a bit more depth. It doesn't seem red in real life. Begonia (#3) reads as a bit too orange to us on the house...but honestly, any one of these could work! Thanks everyone for steering us in this direction!

• Jilly
    last year

Excited to see afters!

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Agree with Jinx - can't wait to see the house when it is all painted!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

I would eliminate the one under the window, but I like all of the other 3! Perhaps working on pairing an accent or trim color with them will help to narrow it down.

• mimola
    6 months ago

@A P, I know how it is when you plan to post “after” pics and then by the time you get through the project you’re mentally and emotionally done with it, you need to get on with the rest of your life, and . . . well, good intentions can be forgotten. But please, pretty please, could you tell us what colors you used and show pics? I’ve just found this discussion now because we’re considering painting our Clearwater area home pink

• mimola
    6 months ago

Oops, I hit Post by mistake. To finish my comment: . . . pink. And so many others who helped you with great photos and suggestions would love to see the finished product, too. Thanks!

• A P
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Sure! We went SW Flamingo Pink :)

• Jilly
    6 months ago

That looks AWESOME! Great choice! It must make you smile every day. :)

Glad you bumped this, mimola. :)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 months ago

That looks great -- what a vibrant, fun-looking house with the zingy accent colors!

• decorpatti
    6 months ago

Your cottage is wonderful...enjoy!

• A P
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thanks, folks :) We discovered we have tons of mango trees so we went with mango trim, and we call it the "Flamango House" 🦩🥭🏡🥰

• Jilly
    6 months ago

I just noticed your pup, what a cutie. 😍

• la_la Girl
    6 months ago

Oh wow i love it!! what a happy house 😊

• mimola
    6 months ago

WOW!!! So awesome! Congratulations on going bold and beautiful. The teal and mango trim colors are wonderful. And "Flamango House" - haha, perfect. May you live and love there for a long time to come.

• mimola
    6 months ago

I'll be posting pics on a new thread soon of our 1950 Florida ranch house to ask for help with exterior colors. This thread already got me started with ideas and I hope you all will be just as generous with your great advice as you were with A P. Houzzers are the best.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    6 months ago

Thanks to mimola for asking, and to A P for the pics! You created a really lively, fun combo of colors that suits the house well!

I can't help wondering what the effect of painting the steps a darker shade of the doors would be...