Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_343017305

Bathtubs - Acrylic + Cast Iron + Enameled steel, oh my!

Kathryn B
last year

Replacing an old cast iron alcove tub.

The plumber said - "get Americast enameled steel."

The saleslady/designer at General Plumbing supply said "enameled steel is crap. Cast iron is too heavy. No fiberglass. Get Kohler acrylic"

What say you wise people of Houzz??

The family uses this daily to shower, but we won't be taking baths often/ever.

Comments (13)

• adawn5
    last year

How is cast iron "too heavy"? You have cast iron in there now. So clearly it's not "too heavy" for the floor.

I think I think I paid a little extra to my contractor for installing a Kohler Bellwether tub in the hall bathroom because it was cast iron, 66x32, and heavy vs. acrylic, but I can't remember so it was probably a nominal amount.

I really like cast iron. I guess some acrylic tubs are okay from what I hear but cast iron was a priority for me since that's what I grew up with and am used to. I have showered in other types of tub materials (in apartments and hotels) and I'm never thrilled with the other tub materials--the feel, ease of cleaning, etc. But maybe they just weren't nice enough acrylics?

Not sure I've ever heard great things about enameled steel.

Kathryn B thanked adawn5
  • artemis78
    last year
    last modified: last year

I hate our enameled steel tub and can't wait to replace it. It's 25 years old, according to the stamp. Can't remember the brand but I looked it up once and it's common at big box stores, under $200 even today. It's super scratched and doesn't hold temperature like a cast iron tub does, though maybe that won't matter if you don't plan to use it for baths. I'd do cast iron (that is our plan--Kohler Villager, hopefully). They are heavy, but you already have cast iron so presumably your joists can support it. If not cast iron, then acrylic with a good warranty. Maybe higher end enameled steel tubs perform better, though.

• User
    last year

I dislike any tub I can't clean with comet.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

You should NEVER CLEAN A TUB WITH COMET. Ruins the finish. No manuf. recommends the use of this product.

No plumber wants to haul a cast iron tub out of or into a space. They are heavy, expensive and there are few on the market to select from.

Acrylic is the norm these days but I would consider a tub from MAAX. Good quality for the $$

https://maax.com/bathtubs

Kathryn B thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    User
    last year

Cast iron is always the best, most durable, choice. It's also the choice with the highest labor upcharges for dealing with, because of it's weight. Acrylic comes next in the ranking. With proper care, it can be as durable as a cast iron product. It's a tie between fiberglass and enamel over steel, at the bottom of the list, with maybe a very slight edge to enamel over steel. They are items chosen for economy of cost, not for usability or durability.

Kathryn B thanked User
  • Kathryn B
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks all for your thoughts! @adawn5 @BeverlyFLADeziner @User@User @artemis78 @kandrewspa - i think i'll probably stay away from Americast b/c it does seem like a lot of pretty negative reviews ...

I do'nt love the idea of acrylic simply b/c I generally try and avoid synthetics....

Cast iron is of course the tried and true option... just... so heavy. Worry about getting it up our narrow stairs, and installing securely (though, yes, our current floors are supporting the tub fine).

Thanks!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

https://www.americanstandard-us.com/innovations/americast

• Americast is American Standard’s proprietary, a revolutionary alternative to cast iron that’s more durable, lighter and costs less to install. Americast provides better heat retention as it acts as an insulator leaving the water warmer for longer allowing for warm relaxing baths. The backing material in Americast provides strength and durability while still being less rigid than cast iron. Top collections with Americast include the Princeton and Cambridge tub collections.

https://www.homedepot.com/collection/bath/americast-tub-collection/Family-310810720

I would not discount the Americast from American Standard seems to be like a good compromise and the consumer ratings on the tubs from Home Depot are very high.

I have had both cast iron and acrylic. If cast iron was still exceptional, more companies would continue to manufacture tubs in this material but the plumbers don't want their guys injured, and frankly the material doesn't retain heat very well. No one wants to sit in cold bathwater.

It's cheaper to mold acrylic and the color extends through the material. It retails heat better. Doesn't keep its shine like porcelain over cast iron or metal.

Kathryn B thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • artemis78
    last year

Cast iron tubs are actually much better at retaining heat than most of the other options--they're just slower to heat up initially. It's enameled steel that's poor at heat retention. Generally it's cast iron first, then acrylic, then steel--though the quality/thickness of the cast iron and of the acrylic can make a difference.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Enammelled steel is horrible , cast iron I know is what is considered the best choice but IMO no benefit in this day and age where we have continual hot water so can warm the tub water anytime. I love my acrylic tub and I use thet material alot for my clients and many have replaced old cast iron with acrylic and love it. I like the deep soaker type tubs and I am happy you are not doing free standing . I lived with a cast iron free standing tub as a kid and found even then it was a pain to get in and out of . I use Maax a lot great styles and decent price.

Kathryn B thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • ci_lantro
    last year

Replacing an old cast iron alcove tub.

Reason for replacing it?

Narrow staircase, you say. How wide is the door into the bathroom? Is just a shower an option? Because in an old house, narrow bathroom doors, narrow halls, narrow staircases, replacing a tub with another can be a challenge. More so since it is in an alcove.

Kathryn B thanked ci_lantro
  • Kathryn B
    Original Author
    last year

@ci_lantro hi - replacing b/c the bathroom needs a major refresh, the pipes are old, so makes the most sense to gut (so we don't spruce up and then have a water issue down the road). It's a 1925 house, but bathroom is prob 70s-ish based on the style.

• hbeing
    last year

I loved my acrylic tub. very deep, not wide, nice back slant. $400 in 2009 which was mid-priced at that time. Maybe a ferguson, but i don't remember.