Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Time-Capsule Ornaments

Alisande
last year

I made these in 2019 for my grandsons to give to their parents on Christmas, and I'm going to do it again this year. I think they're a great idea. Here's what to do:

Ask each child (separately, so they don't copy one another) a bunch of questions:

Who's your best friend?

Who's your favorite teacher?

What was the best part of your summer vacation?

What's your favorite food?

What's your hardest subject in school?

and so on . . .

Type up their answers ("My favorite teacher is Mrs. Crankshaft") and leave space around them so you can cut them out. You'll end up with a bunch of paper strips that you'll put into clear plastic ball ornaments.

But first, take a picture--a headshot--of each child, and print it in a size that will fit nicely in the ornament. If you can photograph them holding a sign stating the year 2022, all the better. If not, or if you are cutting out an existing photo, use a marker to write the year on card stock. That will go in the ornament too.

So you'll end up with a clear plastic ball containing a picture of the child, the current year, and lots of strips of paper that tell about this child in this year.

I also printed out a sheet of all their answers to give to the parents so they'll know what's in the ornaments.

I bet some of you have made these already, but perhaps you'd like to do it again.

Comments (5)

• caroline94535
    last year

What a great idea!

i just did a ”Copy and Paste” of this idea to send to my friend that has three grandchildren.

She’s thinking of including their height, weight, clothing and shoe sizes, favorite movies and books, etc etc.

You could add a lock of their hair, a lost tooth, an example of their signature….

• arcy_gw
    last year

When first married I made a lot of these. I have my wedding ornaments with bits of lace and fabrics and dried flowers from my veil, brides maids dresses and bouquet. A few years later when putting together my nursery I again snipped some of the curtain fabrics to make colorful bulbs. I've debated making a couple for my DIL...seems like the sort of thing that came and went. People can be so personal about what they want on their trees, in their homes.

• nickel_kg
    last year

Cute idea, and a new one to me. Don't know where I was when it went around previously, Arcy, but I never heard of it ... probably just as well, or I'd have a bunch more ornaments and I already have more than can fit on one tree.

• Alisande
    Original Author
    last year

Caroline, those are all great ideas! I especially like the signatures. I hope your friend has fun with this project.

This year I'll probably also include "What did you wear for Halloween?" And "What's the farthest you hiked this summer?" I'm sure I'll think of others.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

What a lovely idea - thanks so much for sharing it!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County