Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susileh

Can cupboards that only take part of a wall NOT look weird?

susileh
last year

We're building floor to ceiling cupboards into our home office for extra storage space but don't need the entire wall's worth (or the cost that comes with it). We're hoping to turn the empty area into a sitting space with an armchair or chaise for reading or working on a laptop but I'm worried it will look strange with the cabinets just ending 2/3 of the way down the wall. All the photos I find have a built in desk or shelves or bulkhead that make a visual connection between the cupboards and the adjacent wall (see below).

Does anyone have photos of this kind of thing working without that?

And thanks to Kinsman, the Block and Pure Locations for the images.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Hi. Congrats on the new home. Not exactly sure what you mean. You want built-in storage that is place on the upper 2/3rd of a wall, with the lower 1/3 empty?

What do you mean by "cupboards? Open shelves? Enclose cabinets?

Thanks!

• kl23
    last year

The proportions are about right with 2/3rds. Think of the golden ratio and it will NOT look weird. 

Are you saying the 1/3 open area must be on one end like your photos, due to a window or door, and cannot be in the middle for a focal point? Doesn't matter…it won't look weird if it's in proportion.

Your corner chair idea seems fine if you choose one that fits. I like the idea of a laptop that allows me to switch positions and move to a comfortable chair with ottoman. A mirror over the chair on that back wall could bounce more light and provide a more spaceous illusion.

If you want any additional advice, I suggest that you think of the room as a whole. Floor plans with pictures and measurements  of the room and furniture would help. Also your thoughts about what IS needed in the room, since you have eliminated the need for more storage.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Okay, by "2/3rd of the way down" you mean 2/3rds of the horizontal space on the wall?

Sorry, the "down" confused me.

It depends. I would need a floor plan of the space and the feel of the home. If it is an extremely symmetrical type home, then centering the built-ins would be the best.

So, need more info. Thanks!

• tracefloyd
    last year

Take a percieved challenge and highlight it. Create an accent wall or focal point out of your niche. Wallpaper it a bold pattern or paint a bold color. Use contrasting furniture. Add shelves to the wall. Paint the cupboards. Any number of things. Go bold and do the whole room. Seach Houzz for inspo photos:

Lake Forest Show House · More Info

ETHNIC CHIC-Home Office/Guest Bedroom · More Info

East Glenview Home · More Info

Contrast Colour House - Home Office Reading Corner · More Info

Bohemian Apartment Study · More Info

Bruce Avenue Residence Lower-Level Family Room 4 · More Info

Urban Atelier · More Info

ETHNIC CHIC-Home Office/Guest Bedroom · More Info

susileh thanked tracefloyd
  • susileh
    Original Author
    last year

The cupboards I’m talking about are floor to ceiling wardrobe doors with shelves and drawers inside.
    Directly opposite is a wall to wall floating desk with bookshelves above. The room is a good size but there just isn’t enough space for an armchair unless it’s recessed next to the cupboard.

K L and nickel_kg, thanks. Agreed on the end table, lamp etc. I feel more comfortable that it can be a resolved space. Appreciate the feedback.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Based upon the information given, I think it will be fine. With a floor plan and elevations, I can give you better input.

susileh thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • kl23
    last year

Oh, nickle_g, totally agree…can't have comfy without a spot for a cuppa. If there's no room for a floor version of table and lamp, consider a sconce instead of the mirror I suggested before thinking about room for a light. And maybe a little shelf instead of a table…or the windowsill, depending. That's just if you are short of room.

susileh thanked kl23
  • tracefloyd
    last year

I think your idea of an armchair in the recessed space is fine.

susileh thanked tracefloyd