Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Another wacky wall

robo (z6a)
last year
last modified: last year

So I solved my family room wall for now (until I get bored!)

Now I'm onto my living room. I can see from this photo I need to clean my mantel area.

However, my TOTALLY QUESTIONABLE housekeeping habits aside, I've been stuck on this area for about ten years now. It's so asymmetrical! And there is an HRV vent sticking out into the nook, plus the ceiling is mysteriously textured around the nook which implies the nook is original from 1948.

I just stuck the lamps up there and I do actually like the lamps, although I'd need to figure out cord management (drill holes in the mantel I guess) .

My design-y friend is suggesting a large round mirror to the right and big wooden stuff (bowls, sculptures) to the left, but I have to say I'm not sold on the mirror idea. The room gets a lot of direct afternoon sun and I think the mirror might actually literally blind someone.

Please ignore the inflatable raft in the back, my son has been using it to take naps on the front step.

The three major areas above the mantel are about

60"w x 42"h on the right

36"w x 22"h bottom left

36" w x 20"h top left

Even this smaller landscape centered on the wall sticks up into the nook.

Comments (42)

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    last year

This is the rogue napper.

I'm contemplating trying to paint a color close to this one (BM smoke - picture from reddit). I realize this room is nicer, architecturally than mine, with higher ceilings, but I like the vibe. Right now the room is an ode to brownge with a brownge couch and wood so I'd like to cool it down with a contrasting color.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

Housekeeping....what IS that??? I would ignore the nook - paint it all the same color of the wall, get a larger piece of art and remove the bowls. When you're ready to do construction, I would look for a way to cover it up.

Adding that I come from the belief that small old houses are the boss of you!

• nicole___
    last year

I hotly dislike that blue and the philodendron strewn over and around the room in your inspiration photo. Very ....all-over-the-place style with the table ornaments. What you have NOW is more pulled together. IMO

• blfenton
    last year

The picture does not have to be centered on the mantel. If you were to hang it in the space the wall will be visually balanced with the things you have in the nook. And then move the left lamp to be centered under the nook. By the way I love the nook - it's like a little surprise in the room.

That wall to the right - what is that on it and what does the rest of it look like?

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    last year

There’s a sentimental thermometer from the business my grandfather founded on the wall - and that’s about it for that wall, there’s an arched opening to the left. I don’t have a pic but I can take one when I get home.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    last year

Oh wait - found a pic

• nicole___
    last year

OK....NOW....I'm in love with your dog. 💖But seriously...the lamps on the mantle are beautiful...art! Keep following your friends advice...

• Jilly
    last year

Cutest little napper and doggy! :)

I like this:

With trying a bit of tweaking …. moving the large picture to the right a few inches and layering it to the left with a smaller piece of art (or even two more pieces).

These aren’t anything like what I mean, I couldn’t find a good example, just showing the layered look. I’d keep smaller art under the niche part. Could the art on the top shelf be layered with the big piece, and put pretty pottery or something up there?

It’s so charmingly asymmetrical, I’d lean into that and keep it creative and artsy.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Layer 2 pieces of art..ignore the small upper shelf on the left..most will be covered by large leaning piece of art..frames in black so the go,d lamps really stand out and don’t compete with gold frames…move lamps in a bit and run cord down side of fireplace surround and along white molding up to plug…you can buy very small cord fasteners…very pretty!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    last year

Would you all advise leaning everything and not hanging anything? I'm not opposed to that, don't get me wrong! Just impulse bought a medium size painting...stop me before I buy again! I already have soooo many vintage Canadian oils. Yoda's hut on etsy is dangerous.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Yes lean all art

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Nice room, love your fpl. Is DS napping outside in November? Sturdy sort!

I love the lamps, and the color in your inspiration room.

Is it too difficult to dry wall over the nook? You are repainting anyway.

• Jilly
    last year

Love that new painting!

Yes, I’d lean, or at least try that look for a while and see what you think.

Your niche is so charming and original, I wouldn’t partly obscure it. Drywall it if you’re not loving it.

But I’d embrace it for displaying more pretties. It fits your artistic style. You know I like quirky. :)

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    last year

Well...there's an HRV thing (vent? return?) in the nook and the original ceiling plaster is textured with a border around it so it would be a BIT of work...quite a bit even perhaps. I don't know what's involved with ceiling texture.

Yes DS is nothing if not sturdy! Very stubborn about things like coats and mittens. Is that a boy thing?

• Jilly
    last year

I hope Friday sees this, she always has such cool art ideas.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I would ignore/obscure the nook. I think it is always going to pull your eye there and you don't want that. It sounds like drywall (is HRV what we call HVAC?) would be too much trouble.

Do you have some large artwork to put there just to see if you like the proportions that HIE suggested?

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    last year

I do have some pieces! I don’t have time tonight because I’m running out to my book club, but I will pull out some of the stuff in my closet and we can shop my stash.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Great can’t wait to see what you have to work with.

• Jilly
    last year

Love that Friday, thanks for mocking it up. I’m all about embracing interesting features of old houses. :)

• ilikefriday
    last year

You could also do a gallery wall above your fireplace.

robo (z6a) thanked ilikefriday
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

It's asymmetrical. It always will be, so embrace it. Don't use any symmetry at all. Rather put something larger and heavier on the right and get the sense of balance by doing a 2 level display on the left with the nook. Or set up a display that is intentionally high on the right and tapers down across the mantel to something low on the left and then something else in the nook...maybe taper whats in the nook from higher to lower from left to right.

And you can add something to the wall below the mantel on the left side too, something taller and narrow to offset the basket on the right.

Note how the darker item against the light wall adds more visual weight. That's what you need to balance...the visual weight across the mantel.

robo (z6a) thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

My mock up just to give you an idea of what I'm thinking of...your objects of course would vary...but it's about visual weight and balance and massing for the whole wall, not just the mantel. (I'd move the cart on the right and just leave the basket in the corner.)

robo (z6a) thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    last year

I love the mock-ups and they are SO helpful! Thank you!! My kid is sick as a dog so I haven’t had a chance to shop my closet yet but I will soon for sure.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    last year

Ok here we go … some ideas from the closet store (and open to adding - I’m lacking pretty much any sculptural pieces)

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    last year

One last one

• Jilly
    last year

I’m sorry little E is sick, sure hope he feels better soon. ❤️

Ok, I cannot choose from these, I love them all. You did a great job, they all look so good … I like how you arranged the framed pieces in each one.

Which is your fav? If I was forced to choose one, I think it’d be the first one. I hadn’t thought about adding something framed to the niche, too, and really like that look, and the gallery wall aspect. And the crane is so cool.

robo (z6a) thanked Jilly
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I like the simplicity and color coordination of #2.

• palimpsest
    last year

This artist, Bruce Peeso, paints very wide horizontal paintings. Originals and prints are available.

https://www.backroadsgallery2.com/Bruceprints1.html

robo (z6a) thanked palimpsest
  • eld6161
    last year

My favorite is this one of Fridays

So

robo (z6a) thanked eld6161
  • Eileen
    last year

I like the layered art but you don't need to use any paintings on the mantel. Then you don't have to follow any "rules" about centering art over a fireplace. You can use other decorative objects, family photos, sculptures, etc. .

• blfenton
    last year

Can you take the tall picture of #2 and swap it out for the bigger picture in your photo title "one last one". thanks I just want to see what it would look like. I really like the two pieces of pottery in the niche that you placed in the last photo.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

You're onto something. I like 2,3 and 5. On five, id remove the painting on the far left.

Really surprised to say that I like options that do not ignore the niche.

• yeonassky
    last year

I like number two the best. I find it balanced to me because the painting is close to the same height as the things in the niche. It is restful and yet interesting enough to my eye.

So sorry about your sick boy. Never easy! Hope he recovers fast!

• amykath
    last year

I really like #2. I would just try, for fun, adding another smaller painting next to the tall one to see how that looks. Love all of your fun and bright colors! You have so many graat pieces from which to choose!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

I would only use two pieces of art layered..one of your largest mixed with one medium or small piece and pull in your lamps to comp,eye the vignette

• 3katz4me
    last year

#2 looks very nice though I would try moving the picture a little to the left

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

I'm with @3katz4me - the large picture should be moved to the left - look at @ilikefriday's mock up. And how about layering the small square picture that's in the niche in front of it?

• Arapaho-Rd
    last year

I vote #2 ... would like to see tall painting to left a little more. Something about the same height in the two pieces on mantel seems off. Maybe remove the blue stripe and put a box or something rectangular in it place? LOVE the lamps!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    last year

We have not done anything here for the past week, but try to keep body and soul together. This illness season is just wild. Anyway, my early Christmas present to myself arrived, and I couldn’t be more pleased.

• Jilly
    last year

It’s beautiful!

• ilikefriday
    last year

Looks fantastic!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County