Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_jackson8732

Help me choose Exterior Colors!

J J
last year

My porch's wood is being replaced, and I'd like to make some improvements to the space's brightness. I want to avoid using the original beige color on the house in favor of something a little more contemporary. Here are a few pictures of the house and brick. What color or colors should I go with?

Comments (22)

• HU-187528210
    last year

I’m not sure if your asking about paint for the porch or for the shutters…

For the porch you can go with any color.
    I’d probably stain it a brown wood color.

Shutters I’d paint navy or black.

If you want to paint the porch I’d do black and black shutters.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

White of course.

• Sigrid
    last year

I'd stain the wood on the porch brown and do the trim in a warm sagey or muted moss green.

• jlc712
    last year

Bright white porch railings, black, navy, or dark green shutters. Paint the porch ceiling white.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

You have a really cute and inviting front porch, but the current set up is not doing it any favors. I would fill in that missing section of concrete, and try to stain it all one color. How many support posts are you required to have to support the roof, and what is the spacing? Are you required to have a railing? I’d reduce/relocate the support posts, make the stairs wider towards the left, have just a low railing (or none) across the front, and add a colorful rug.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

You just hit the lottery, right?

• tracefloyd
    last year
    last modified: last year

I don't think a white or brown porch would be contemporary. And black is harsh. What about charcoal or gray? Use it on everything -- all the trim and shutters, porch, rails, eaves and ceiling. The brick is already bright and the gray would bring that out. And you have a gray roof.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

Here are my suggestions... White & charcoal. I think that to make your house more current looking you need to refresh your landscaping (and walkway), cut or remove and replace the shrubs. If you don't know much about gardening, consult a garden centre near you for advice. Depending on where you live, grasses are popular as well as easy maintenance plants.

We can't see your front door and since it seems dark on the porch so I would paint it white and install a nice large black sconce.

• elcieg
    last year

Windows are white, lose the shutters and add some trim to make the windows more important.

Trim...bright white.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

I'm not sure your house has sufficient detail to "lose the shutters". It's very nice on the above illustration but the bricks (or siding) are dark gray so it gives a different look...

• J J
    Original Author
    last year

I love the white Qaddafi charcoal suggestion so much. I am sold on it.

• J J
    Original Author
    last year

I was attempting to say… I love the white and charcoal suggestion so much that I am sold on it. However, I am not certain how to paint the portion of the wood underneath. This is a picture before all the wood was replaced, but this shows what I’m referring to. I would not do away with the shutters. I am however, contemplating redoing the landscaping as this will soon be a rental home. What app did you use to put those colors together?

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

I do my drawing in PowerPoint.

If you'll be painting the ramp and columns in white I would paint the entire ceiling of the porch in white, it will also help to make it brighter. I suggested BM paint colours below, hopefully the white will match your windows if you're not planning on painting them.

For sure new landscaping will give your house curb appeal.

• elcieg
    last year

Shutters are architectural elements, not decoration. The shutters on your house are not attached to the windows; the double windows left of the front door should not have shutters in the first place, and your house is more mid-century than Colonial/cottage. Trim should be added to the windows.

That's why I suggest you "lose the shutters". I love to be quoited.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Agree with judianna on the shutters/window trim. She knows what she’s talking about.

I know you say you have found a color you like, but a dull color would be my last choice. I thought you wanted to brighten and refresh? Plus, I wouldn’t personally do a color that everyone else is jumping on.

Your brick and real light whitewash looks great, btw.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

Since the house will be a rental, focus on function and efficiency and easy maintenance. How is the rental market in your area? That should dictate your budget. Do NOT use BM or any other brand name paint - it’s such a waste of money. Behr gives you the most bang for your buck.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

It's a nice dark blue and it looks great! A very nice change!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

Nice improvement!!! Looks like dark gray and white on my tablet, but still pretty!!

• tracefloyd
    last year

Very nice. Thanks for the update. It's nice to see ideas come to fruition in real time.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

Here are your Before and After photos... Looks great!

• J J
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! Happy Holidays