Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_metscher23

We’re stumped! Can’t figure out family room layout

Jules M
last year

We are struggling to find the best furniture arrangement for our small and narrow family room. For reference, the rug is 8 1/2 by 11, and there are 2 loveseats and 1 chair. So we can only seat 5 people, ideally we’d like to seat 6-8. The fireplace seems very disproportionate and the tile is cracked so we would like to remodel that and could lower or change out the mantel if needed. The question is “Should we keep the TV on the current wall or move above fireplace to add seating on the long wall?” We are willing to get all new furniture, but we do need to have a tv in this room. My husband is wondering if a sectional would work better. I just don’t want the room to look too crowded - so we are struggling!

More info: We decided to move here 3 hours away from a home that we loved to be closer to our 2 grand babies and to help take care of my 91 year old mother. We purchased this home last spring in the middle of the real estate frenzy and really had to compromise on size. This house is like a little cottage, cute but small. It is fairly dark inside due to low ceilings and low windows. Since the photo, we have had all the walls painted an off white to brighten things up a bit. My style is transitional and eclectic and I like mixing old and new. Thank you for any advice!

Comments (25)

• Jules M
    Original Author
    last year

Floor plan

• eld6161
    last year

While we wait for the experts, I think this might be one of those times where a sectional could work.

Just be mindful of the size. You want one that will have the same foot print that the sofas do.

Then, I would be a matching ottoman. In that way the end seat almost like a lounge.

There should be room for coffee table as well.

We did is in a very small apartment. Very functional.

Congrats on your new home. It looks lovely.

• eld6161
    last year
    last modified: last year

Deco, I don't remember what you describe as being an issue. We had gathering and it was fine.

People also complain about not wanting to sit in the middle if a 3 seat sofa. I never had an issue with that either.

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

MCM or scandinavian style minimal furniture (think low profile, simple furniture) not full, padded.

Yes, I'd remove the mantle, mount the TV

remove the console all together

either leave the TV on that wall or above fireplace, but not too high.

floor lams, an ottoman as a coffeetable, less is more.

no clutter on the mantle. Keep that room simple and TV/Fireplace reading conversation only

a single large piece of canvas art on the wall. greatbigcanvas.com afforable options.

I'd go with a medallion/border style rug with some bold color. Keep the furniture neutral and similar.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

How is the space used daily, how often is the space used for 6 people, how often for 8 and are any of the 8 small children?

When you have everyone there is it to watch TV or talk?

My sister just downsized into an apartment with a tiny living room. Her and her husband need to sit in recliners. They also wanted enough seating for their kids and grandkids to be able to sit and visit. They put a sofa across from the 2 recliners and put the TV over the sofa. They can watch TV or they can sit across from their kids and visit. It wasn't ideal, but it made the room function in both situations.

My other sister has a bench under her living room window. The furniture in the room is all floating furniture. At Christmas when the whole family gathers (30+ people) that bench seats an additional 6 people. Most of the rest of the year that seating isn't used except by the grandkids who like to watch the birds at the birdfeeders through the window.

Another friend had their TV in front of their two recliners with a long sofa on each side of the recliners. Again, the daily use of the room was her and her husband watching TV from their two recliners. It was only when the kids came home to visit that they needed the extra seating. Watching TV from the sofas was awkward, but we were usually not watching TV as much as we were gabbing.

Would you mind sharing more about what you need every day vs what you need fairly often and what you need only once in a while. It will help us help you.

• Jules M
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you decoenthusiaste - the kitchen is right behind the darker sofa. I’ll post another couple of pics.

• Jules M
    Original Author
    last year

Kitchen behind sofa

• Jules M
    Original Author
    last year

Walkway from front entry

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

Your best option would be to redo the fireplace and put the tv over it. It’s not big enough to seat 8 and still have room to breathe.

• Jules M
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Jennifer. Most evenings it is just my husband and myself in the family room reading or watching tv and it is comfortable for that. My daughter and her husband and two kids ( 2 & 4) live just 10 minutes away and they come over every week. I also keep the littles 2 days a week at my house. When we have people over the tv is not usually on unless there’s a football game! So if both our adult kids, their spouses and my mom are here we would like to seat 7 adults. The kids are usually running around playing. We also have 1-2 couples over for dinner frequently and the family room is the only place to sit before and after dinner. We used to host dinner parties for 20 at our former home so this is an adjustment!

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I think the room is too narrow for 2 sofas across from one another. I would be looking for a longer sofa, maybe a 4 seater across from the TV.

I know everyone will say this is a bad idea but I would look at a sofa with a chaise + 3 seats. My sister who hosts the family dinners (30+) has a sofa like this . When it is only a few of us we may or may not use the chaise, but when the whole gang is there someone will sit on the corner chaise and someone else or maybe 3 will be sitting on the end of the chaise edge of the chaise. that 4 seat sofa often ends up being seating for 6 people.

The nice thing about this is the chaise portion is visually lighter and makes things feel less crowded. That with a couple of chairs across from the sofa, one on either side of the TV should be enough seating.

Modern Home In The Middle Of St. John's · More Info

• oreolucca1
    last year

I do not think you will ever regret moving closer to grandkids it’s a huge blessing. I think you house looks charming. I would definitely change the fireplace
    Tile and make the mantel lower and place a tv over it. That’s frees up so much seating area for you which would make a lot of difference based on how many people that you have over. Good luck

• Jules M
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Jennifer - sounds like a good suggestion about the sofa and we do like being able to see the tv from the kitchen.

• gtdj519
    last year

To add extra sesting, maybe get a console table to go behind the loveseat, and tuck two ottomans underneath?

that wiuld give 2 extra seats to pull out when needed, and leave current space as is when not needed. its a pretty space. good luck !

• J C
    last year

I asked a similar question a few years back... the pros with in the design section helped me a lot. It is a known maths problem for designers and chickens. Did you know chickens use to be placed in a small living space, similar in how your room is done with sofas and chairs with tv and what nots. Until the problem was addressed the chickens produced more eggs. If you can't make room, take out what is cluttering up. Until you find a nice balance. I can't remember the exact formula, but take total square feet and total up the square foot foot print area of every item that consumes its area within the room's square foot area. Eventually you get the remainder of the total open area. Like chickens people need open area in surroundings. Nobody can live with 1 foot space between another, so find your comfort zone, and use the distance as a perimeter around each sitting location at the walking space. You will find your layout. I would personally look at the couch. Either one... and remove it. Then you will have room for placement

• Jules M
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Shadywillowfarm - we were wondering about that layout just not sure how we will like looking up at tv above fireplace, something to think about for sure!

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

I'd leave the configuration as is, but perhaps remove the current armchair get two smaller armchairs for either side of the fireplace. That might require you shift both sofas back and to the right to leave enough walking space between the chair and the left sofa. The rug size should be fine.

That would give you seating for 6. For the times you need a bit more, put a sofa table behind the sofa facing the FP, with two cube ottomans you can tuck underneath. That would give you flexible seating for two more people.

• ffpalms
    last year

I think modular seating would provide the best flexibility for your space.

Looks I Like · More Info

• Jules M
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Sabrina - I would love to do a table with ottomans behind the sofa but then it’s in the walkway. I think you are right about concentrating on seating for 6 though and pull up extra chairs when needed. What do you think about adding bookcases on the tv wall?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

I think you have room. The table can be 16” deep and the ottomans no more than 18”.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Play with what you have for a bit. Try puling the sofa back even with that doorway bumpout. I 'like rug to be under 1/3 -1/2 of the sofa anyway. Just a slight tweak may give you the space you need to add a couple of chairs.

• Jules M
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you decoenthusiaste - I will try that!

• PRN
    last year

Once you pull back that sofa, as suggested by decoenthusiaste, you can try sliding the TV/console and the other couch a good foot or so in the same direction. That way your chair won't look so cramped into the corner and you might have room on the other side of the mantle for a chair that takes up minimal floorspace, maybe somthing like a more modern version of a Windsor armchair.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

When I was shopping for a sofa I used my current furniture and some moving boxes to visualize how the bigger size was going to look/feel in my space.