Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_389879576

What desk to choose for a teen girl’s bedroom

Jean Lawson
last year

I am trying to get a desk for my daughter’s bedroom. However, because of the existing black furniture, I feel it may not be a good idea to get a desk in black again. I would really love your advice on the color and style of desk ( It will be placed in front of the chair) to get so that the room looks nice for a girl. Please feel free to offer your suggestions. Thank you very much!

Comments (41)

• arcy_gw
    last year

Anything you get will be the 'odd man out' as they say so I would not fret and make it a STATEMENT piece. (I have a massive oak roll top my #1DD inherited I would love to give you!!) Let her choose one. Whatever she chooses will be perfect!

• Snaggy
    last year

What does She want?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Are you sure she wants or needs a desk. All the kids I know sit on their bed with a laptop. IMO kids rooms should always be done with feed back from them. How old is she ? I think the room looks very adult so her age is important. She needs to have input for art and we need more info.

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

Is that a pad for the chair to roll on? If so it will need to be larger. Chairs with arms like that want a desk that doesn’t have drawers as one can’t scootch in enough to be ergonomic at a desk. If she works at a laptop or computer you may want to look at a sit stand option from Poppin. I’d think comfort vs ‘style’ if she actually will use it for long periods.

• Maureen
    last year
    last modified: last year

Not knowing her needs, it’s hard to recommend a desk. Wondering if interested in moving the nightstand to other side of bed, place highboy on wall near bed and now that wall can be made more functional and therefore practical but also fun choices open up.

• imacamper
    last year

Let her decide!!

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

I love Jan's suggestions! The hot pink desk idea is fab. I'd also take a look at RH Teen's website. A desk with silver legs would work nicely with your light fixture.

• chispa
    last year

When my kids were in middle/high school I didn't bother with a desk in their bedroom. We had a "playroom" that I could see from the kitchen and it had a long built-in desk. Their computers ... with 2 monitors each ... were visible from the kitchen. They did their homework at the desk, the kitchen table or the peninsula. At that age, the last thing you want is for them to isolate themselves in their bedrooms.

• PRO
    last year

That space does not look like a teen girls bedroom .

• ffpalms
    last year

If there‘s enough room, I’d consider placing the desk beside the bed. I love that hot pink that JAN MOYER suggested.

Stern Turner Home · More Info

• Jean Lawson
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you very much for all the responses!! The attachment is drawn to scale. You can see one side of the room are windows and the opposite side is closet, which makes it a bit difficult to arrange for furnitures (I am open to move furnitures around if there is enough space). We would like to get a desk that has at least one drawer and is of decent size ( Approx 48“W * 22”D) to work on. My daughter said she would like to get something special, but doesn’t have an idea of exact piece she wants to get. I have showed her hot pink desk suggested by Jan and she is interested. We have also checked the internet and found a couple of silver desks recommended by Sabrina and wonder if those would work.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Just because......: )

Yes, they're identically your scale.

a certain thing "sort of" fits, doesn't make it look really great.

The bed doesn't work well on any other wall, or even under the window. It's quite a lot of black, and a bit heavy looking as well. . Could you sell the dresser, and outfit the closet with a drawer base, Cubbies/shelves and hanging space? Then get the desk? I don't see the "shiny silver" as much as the pink or gray, but that's up to you and your daughter, But, can't lie here. To look really good? It's one or the other, desk......or the dresser. Shoving the dresser closer to the window wall is something you can do, but if you want a good look? Not really the best option. Plus, a useful desk is actually a bit deeper than a dresser, at 24 inches depth, versus a pretty standard 20" on a dresser.

I'd get another side table, paint them both a pale gray, and if she'll truly use a desk? Add that. A trip to Home Depot and perhaps a closet interior...?

For others? There's a reason we ask for drawings with inches, before purchases.: )

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

I’d ditch the castor chair if you go with a decorative desk.

• arcy_gw
    last year

It just doesn't read teen girl and I totally get not running out and getting all new furniture. I think you need to consider a way to lighten up the furniture. It's hefty then black on top of it. Perhaps some white chalk paint and distressing it?

• PRO
    last year

I still think the space is not teen girl at all so please see what she wants not just the desk but in the whole room. I see nothing personal in there at all this could be a hotel room. If she can'y tell you what she wants get her to go online and look at all the options and she also needs to understand what she will use the desk for. In my experience most teen girls would use it like a makeup area .

• Maureen
    last year

Given the layout info, I’d sell the highboy and ensure closet is configured for optimal storage and access (even add a small second hand dresser and paint). Take advantage of the wall to meet a variety of needs vs the desk focus - mirror, comfy seating, a narrow bookcase if needed. Add fun hot pink art for a more youthful feel and to tie in the comforter.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

For all we know, there's a strict budget, and we don't know where the black came from.

Paint the bed WHITE

toss a sheepskin on that chair for the desk

Paint the side table/night stand in a metallic silvery .... or even chalk paint

Put a pink lamp on the bedside, move the bedside lamp to desk

Sell the dresser if you want a desk. : ) Or push to the end of that wall and live with it. Or.......put it IN the closet.

Then??? I STILL LEAN PINK

add art....

• CNH 320
    last year

Could you put the dresser on the other side of the bed where there is no night stand? I can't tell if theres enough room, but if you could you would have more room across from the bed for a desk.

• ffpalms
    last year

The beauty of a forum like this is that the OP will receive all aspects of the design of a room. I think this is the best way to eventually choose what is best based on available funds and personal desires.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

She asked about a desk without really considering the whole space. .........

And.......no law of Houzz says she has to take/use ANY advice, : )

• happyleg
    last year

If there is another wall available you could move the dresser if not you could also think of acrylic desk that's clear and get a different chair to match the curly or something that's light in color but if that does not interest you you could do a white desk it'll be okay cuz there's white trim real close by and you got a white lamp and you could get it desk lamp that white or gold

• Jean Lawson
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks a lot for everyone’s valuable input. I didn’t mention that I actually got a white standard size desk (55” by 26”) before asking the question here. The desk looked super odd in the room because of its width and it blocked part of my entrance way. I had to return it. I thought I picked the wrong style/color, but after reading the suggestions from experts here, I realize I am not able to have both high chest and standard size desk in the room (The high chest cannot fit on the other side of the bed). We have decided to move the high chest out so we can have a standard size desk. Actually, both of my daughter and myself love darker color furniture pieces and the picture attached is the style we really like. I know cream/white furniture may be more popular for a girl, but it is just not what we prefer. Thanks again for all the helpful advice and Merry Christmas!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Tape measures, feet and inches, a plan. It matters and it is why we always ask for that : ) also why we ask for your INSPO pictures, as we can't read minds.

Know that "writing table" desks are commonly sized at 24 x 48 or54 x 30 and a more standard desk @ 30 x 60 x 30. What you want is a bit more length, but not so deep. ( pics and links )

Your inspo picture has elements within that you're missing for the moody glam and young look you are after.

Look at the soft /white/pale blush bedding......the

unmatched white side table. Even the black backdrop to that bedding and the fluff on the wall.

You love the MOOD and feel of that space. How a bed is made up is a large part of that mood.

I also would add another side table. If the lamps match, the side table need NOT match. I would paint the lamp table that is there.

All these will give you extra length, but no added DEPTH to crowd the foot of bed

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Clenlil-Contemporary-60-inch-Light-Walnut-Desk-by-FOA/18214652/product.html?opre=1&option=60409898

Perfectly sized, but pricey : )

https://www.anthropologie.com/anthroliving/shop/lacquered-regency-desk-005?color=065&size=Desk&inventoryCountry=US&countryCode=US&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=US%20-%20Smart%20Shopping%20-%20Home%20-%20Other%20-%20Backorder&utm_content=US%20-%20Smart%20Shopping%20-%20Home%20-%20Other%20-%20Backorder&utm_term=PRODUCT_GROUP&creative=598462932377&device=c&matchtype=&network=u&utm_kxconfid=vx6rd81ts&gclid=CjwKCAiAhqCdBhB0EiwAH8M_GkLvz7oZGCQYw2Q3d6fYeF7HIr9ZVQTQLPFlimQDQeBu17li4pjFshoCmmsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&type=STANDARD&quantity=1

ALSO PERFECT SIZE......note the chair : )

https://www.pbteen.com/products/colette-storage-desk/?cm_src=reducedClick

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4131171010569036214?q=writing+desks+pale+pink&prds=epd:17583733979325715126,eto:17583733979325715126_0,pid:4042099567827831440&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-sY3X8pT8AhXDpnIEHQvhBOsQ9pwGCAo

• arcy_gw
    last year

Your inspiration pic is beautiful. It is also FILLED with color and softness that has yet to come to the space you are creating. This is why we were too quick to point out the missing TEEN GIRL accoutrements! Good luck with your desk search!!

• CNH 320
    last year

It's too bad they both don't fit in the room. I have a dresser next to my bed so that's why I suggested. It is skinnier than yours though. I wish I had desk ideas but I'm bad at that. I love the pink ones posted though, I think with the dark furniture a pop of color would look good.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

If that dresser DID fit next to the bed? An absolutely awful place for it. Hemming you in.....NO.: )

• elisejames
    last year

Does your teen want a desk? Both my girls have one and neither uses it except to gather junk. The teens all work on their laptops from the couch or the bed. I wish they both had comfy chairs instead. Just a thought before you fret too much about a piece of furniture she might not even use../

• CNH 320
    last year

I posted a similar comment already but it disappeared so if it shows up twice I'm sorry. I agree that next to the bed is probably not the best option for a dresser and probably doesn't look the best, but if someone needs a dresser and there's no other place it is an option and doesn't look awful, or at least I don't think it does. I believe in function more than looks so if i wanted or needed both I would try to find a way to make it work. But that's just me : )

• Maureen
    last year

Your inspiration room is lovely! With the highboy eliminated, desk and wall decor options are endless. January typically is a good month for furniture sales. Good luck.

• happyleg
    last year

the desk can go at the window measure that area and center the dresser on that wall it's currently on

• RTHawk
    last year

For both my girls' bedrooms, one side of the headboard has a small nightstand and the other side has a slim desk. Do you have enough space on the side of the bed near the window - something like this? I scooched the bed and nightstand closer to the closet so you can have a desk about the same width as the dresser.

• artemis_ma
    last year

chispa when I was a teen, I wanted to do my homework IN MY OWN ROOM. Not being constantly interrupted by the flow of people passing by. Yes, a desk is a good idea. By the time I reached my teens, being constantly monitored was more a detriment than a positive for me.

Patricia Colwell Consulting While i do think the room needs more of a personal touch at the teen's instigation, I am not certain what a teen girl's bedroom "should" look like. Remembering my own teen years, I would have been upset if there was ANYthing pink in my room. We are all different.

JAN MOYER for all you know, the teen may prefer black to white. And it wasn't the question being asked.

• elisejames
    last year

This might cause many gasps - but I’d suggest a desk from IKEA. They are well-sized, very functional (many including a spot to hide cords) and reasonably priced. I would put the nightstand on the right of the bed and the desk on the left side. That way you can have a non-matching piece of furniture with a lighter look (due to the open chair area) and add some interest to the design. The Hemnes, Hauga or Lommarp styles might work well - there are a couple of configurations. From there, I suggest one of their dining-style chairs instead of the rolling office chair. This will give you options ranging from clear acrylic to fully upholstered, depending on her style. Best of luck.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

I like to read the entire thread......the op comments. Her inspo picture/comments were posted well after the fact, and after a dozen prior comments.

Maybe all good to know IN ADVANCE. : ).

" For all I know" would have been known from ONE inspo at the start. Right here below.

What she did not realize? Both desk and dresser combined do not fit the size of the room.

And.... the glam young feel in the inspo she was after got a bit lost. Also jmho.

• happyleg
    last year

Maybe bed in front of window?

• happyleg
    last year

Another idea a corner desk right of window? A board made to look like a painting to pull down from wall w/ a leg?

• yeonassky
    last year

I think a desk facing the bed up against the footboard might work. I had that in one of my children's bedrooms and they liked the arrangement a lot. I like the black personally. And would have loved it as a teen. :-).

• Jean Lawson
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for everyone’s comment! Some may be curious why I need to have a desk in my daughter’s bedroom…Yes, she uses it from time to time. I actually use it more often than she does for conference calls etc when working from home.

The only office in the house is occupied by my hubby and he is on the phone 80% of the time. We have grandparents visiting during the day so dining/kitchen area is not good for working/studying. The only place I am able to have a desk is either master bedroom or my daughter’s room and the latter makes more sense.

We really like Jan’s suggestion of white or pale pink desk. Evetually, we have decided to go with the white Chelsea desk at PBTeen because it is easier to change the color tone of the room without replacing furniture pieces in the furture. The desk is 21*55 so maybe I can also have a bookshelf beside it? ( Originally I was planing to place a skinny bookshelf on the right side of bed. That’s why I only got one night stand.)

I also got new curtains, duvet cover and sheet as attached. Still need to work on the wall decor and maybe a new pinkish lamp.

The inspo pictures always look so nice. For example, the darker pink velvet chairs add more depth of the black and pink tone. However, In reality, there will not be enough space to add anything extra to the room.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Here's the thing:

It is always extremely advantageous to post ALL of the "needs/why's" at the start. To post the inspo pics at the start. It gives ANY questioning poster, better , quicker ideas and solutions than if we get it in piecemeal fashion as we did here. It's nothing more than a dialogue - the same as would happen if a designer were in the space.

That said? In black below and in stock, and yes will fit to the right of the teen bed...............had this been thought of sooner? I'd have gotten two at the start. Skipped the end table match to the bed. Both holding a lamp!! Add baskets and hide small junk, and books certainly. But.who knew?????

For all who may pass by in this thread. You get more, if you provide the "more" . Try not to make us drag it out of you. : )

As a teen, would I want mom in my room? No. But that's a topic for a different day. Is there ANY other spot in the house? Maybe not, maybe yes. Who knows lol.