Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katherinegeary

scale for furniture advice

These pieces from Arhaus all “match” but it seems like the cabinet is too large in sacake for that space as well as the table? Would this piece look better there?

Comments (10)

• chispa
    last year

I think the furniture looks fine, but the table needs to be pulled out more into the room.

Personally, I don't like the paint color, and in the photos, it doesn't look great with the furniture.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year
    last modified: last year

IMO that is a terrible pastel blue for the kitchen There is so much reflection of the color on everything including your floor. It's hard to escape it.

I have changed the color of the interior of the niche to a contrasting color and added art.

IMO the chair and table are not too big. You just stopped too soon and the space needs to be finished.

Does not table have to stay in that position or can it be moved away from the kitchen island?

If things look too cramped I'd consider bar stools without backs.

A deeper grayer blue would have been a better backdrop for the kitchen.

• Katherine McLean
    Original Author
    last year

Table centered that way because that is where light fixture needs to go. Also have to figure that out. My husband picked out the tile and the blue walls ( I would have chosen a luxury vinyl floor and neutral walls but caved ). He likes a kind of coastal/Mediterranean look ( not beachy) and I’m trying to figure out how to pull it all together now😩

• Katherine McLean
    Original Author
    last year

I think the brown in the stools you show would have been better as well but this is what we have to work with😉

• chispa
    last year

Have the light fixture moved to make more sense with the space you have. Electricians move fixtures all the time!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

No Mediterranean house would have blue walls. Leave that color for water

• marylut
    last year

The dining table needs 3 ft all the way around to pull out the chairs and sit. If the credenza interferes with that, then credenza needs to move or go back to the store. The table should also be centered under the chandelier. You can hang huge artwork in the niche, furniture in niche is not required. I hope the chairs are sturdier than they look.

• marylut
    last year

Nothing in your ideabooks looks Mediterranean, Almalfi Coast, Santorini, Greece to me. I guess DH idea of coastal is furniture in driftwood gray?

• PRO
    SOLID FORM DESIGN
    last year

Hi Katherine

If you want to keep your furniture and not buy new ones, you don't have to. We can work with what you have already. First, ditch the brown sideboard and place it in the living area where the warmth of it's color will shine. Living rooms are also more versatile than kitchens. I would move the white credenza to the niche.

As for the table and chairs, I know they are weathered dark gray but they come off brown in your pictures. Again, this might be lighting

so far what you have right now is mainly dark brown-looking furniture all jambed up into one corner. Pulling the table and chairs away from that beautiful niche will not only give space to move around but also open up the room. 

I would move the table set out, more to the middle of the room. Placing a large white tablecloth or a floral centerpiece would draw the eyes away from the brown and then add sole large art, almost covering the wall of the niche or, art above the white credenza. 

If you are able to send pictures of the opposite 2 walls so I can see the windows, lighting etc. It can be a very nice blue color if there is enough lighting. But generally speaking this shade of blue is not the usual recommended color for kitchens.

I will create a mock up of your place and be able to comment more once I have some idea of the space and lighting, measurements of the niche etc

• PRO
    Bergen Furniture & Design
    last year

The furniture looks good and chique, but the paint on the walls needs improvement. It does not match the furniture. You may think of a textured wall. Even the flooring does not complement the look of the kitchen. Consider using a color palette that compliments the wall and flooring.