Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbiecalgary

For 12 years I have had this range and I have hated it!

BarbieCalgary
last year

I want to purchase new 30” wide slide in gas range with self or steam clean option. I really do not want to gut the wall cabinets and am wondering if this can be done. Have existing gas line and out venting hood capabilities. Am thinking filling in bottom sides with skinny cupboards. Also, small box on each side of where existing hood fan is, probably like a wine rack look. Looking to minimize costs because when we sell our home will be a tear down and doing a new kitchen will not be realized in selling. I am 70 and plan to live here as long as we can but I need to be realistic. Ideas are welcome.

Comments (23)

• palimpsest
    last year
    last modified: last year

Just keep the larger range hood as is and get the smaller range and add a cabinet on one side or on each side.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year
    last modified: last year

I guess my question is what did you hate about it. I love gas ranges andthey really last almost forever .Is your oven now gas? I need more info including the size of the one you have,

• BarbieCalgary
    Original Author
    last year

Yes Patricia , it is a gas range. It is 43 “ wide and is a Heartland Paragon built by Aga. It is not self cleaning(🤬) and there were so many problems with in the beginning that our extra warranty was cancelled because of that. I want another gas range with self or steam clean option and convection oven. Prefer slide in model, no small children to worry about knobs. There are absolutely no ranges made in 43”. I’ve looked believe me.

• RedRyder
    last year

Ilve makes a 40” range but you’re looking at $4k and up. Years ago I had a 41” dual fuel Frigidaire that I loved but it is discontinued. Your idea to get a 36” plus “fill in” cabinets makes the most sense.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

You will need new counters and some cabinets built to match what you have . I have a commercial range and I clean it by placing a bowl of ammonia in side at night pug up the vent holes with towels and wipe it out in the mornig it works great as long as of course you do it on a regular basis . Did that all the time I worked in commercial kitchens . Do you use the double ovens ? Have you thought about how you cook before getting a new range .You could do dual fuel then the oven can be self cleaning and you will not need to spend a fortune on a new range . The counters and the cabinets of course will cost the same no matter what. I like freestanding ranges so that is what I would look for.

• felizlady
    last year

No wine rack near a source of heat! The clock is waaay too large for its current location.
    I wouldn’t give up a double oven for a single oven unless you don’t cook or bake very often.

• pugham
    last year

Hello Barbie! Does your Heartland Paragon still work well?

The reason I ask is that we bought a property that was built in 2011 that has this exact same range. When the gas tech came to run a safety check on the range he discovered the valves have a slight leak and now we can't use the cooktop. The oven works fine. We can't seem to find the parts as Heartland went out of business. Just curious your insight on the range and why, other than self clean, you didn't like it. I've been hunting for the valve parts but to no avail. Wondering if I should continue searching or replace it all together. As you are aware the size is non standard so redoing cabinets and countertops is a pain.

If you range still works I'll buy it from you and replace it with ours. HA.

• BarbieCalgary
    Original Author
    last year
  • BarbieCalgary
    Original Author
    last year

Oops. Ramp works fine now. Can be a little temperamental but from a savant type appliance repairman we’ve learned how to keep the ignition clean and perform well. The specialty repairmen didn’t have a clue but we happened on a local appliance repair company and it was fixed in less than 5 minutes!

• BarbieCalgary
    Original Author
    last year

Ah that would be range top works fine now🥴

• pugham
    last year

Thank you for this info. Believe we have looked at the site you mentioned for possible parts. Our biggest problem is we don't know the serial number of the range because the previous owners didn't write it anywhere and we can't find it on the range. The serial number would at least give us a list of parts.

Have you replaced the burner valves before? Would you happen to know the part number?

I don't want to take your time, but so far you are my only glimmer of hope that we might be able to salvage the stove. Replacing it right now isn't a financial option.

Everything on it works and we'd like to just replace the valve.

Do you happen to have the name and number of the local person who worked on yours? Maybe I could at least talk to them on the phone and get some direction.

again, don't mean to take up your time! Thank you, Amy

• pugham
    last year

or if the valve doesn't need to be replaced, but just cleaned or something??

• BarbieCalgary
    Original Author
    last year

Amy, now look at drawings of burner. Is it a valve or electrode or ignition.

• BarbieCalgary
    Original Author
    last year

Amy, can’t direct message you but….
    Here is my Model Number HL-P44
    My serial number 8124001098
    U109760-02
    If your range looks EXACTLY as mine it may work.
    Www.heartlandapp.com
    1877-650-5775

• pugham
    last year

sorry to continue to bother you. We have the exact range. It's identical. heartland went out of business and I don't have a list of part numbers. the parts place can't help unless I have the part #.

Would you be willing to share the contact info of the repairman who helped you? Just want to talk with someone who has some insight. The manual does not provide the part #'s. We believe it is the valve, but just can't get anywhere. thanks.

• BarbieCalgary
    Original Author
    last year

Amy, I live in Canada. This was 10 or 11 years ago. You need a schematic of the parts. You need to call the 1 800 numbers and pick every one you talk to brains. There will be parts for this somewhere that could be mailed to you or your service fellow. It’s detective work, you need to put on your Sherlock Holmes cap and keep digging. I’ve decided not to replace range a new one will be too much of a hassle and it works fine. Anyone who came to repair said this range would last a lifetime. I’m gonna aim for that!guaranteed parts in USA or Canada is a great starting point.

• BarbieCalgary
    Original Author
    last year

Amy I’ve just been diagnosed as having RSV , when I’m feeling better I’ll continue looking for you. Have you had an appliance repair man out to look at your unit? Heartland many different models and I cannot believe they used completely different parts on each and every one. It’s not economic. Your service person SHOULD be able to diagnose what is problem to an exactness. Then you can find part.

• RedRyder
    last year

My appliance guy, who is great, told me there are no parts for my double wall oven. It’s a JennAir and the upper knobs don’t respond properly when I change the clock or try to set the temperature to something not pre-set. The house is only 11 years old so I was shocked when he said he can’t fix the control panel of my oven. I guess these companies just decide which models they will continue to make parts for and which they won’t.

• pugham
    last year

So sorry Barbie! Hope you are feeling better. No worries on looking into anything for us. Get well!!!

I've been searching off and on for parts or help since November. Every parts place I call I get nowhere. They say there is no schematic for that specific range so they don't know the exact part #'s.

We have had two appliance people out and they say they can fix it if they could just get the part. The range WORKS and we have the EXACT same one as yours. It's fixable they believe with a burner valve that we cannot find.

The issue...when the gas company came out to test the gas hookup they have to run a sniffer tool over the burners to ensure no gas is leaking when burner is turned off. The sniffer picked up a slight leak on each burner. it's minimum but enough for them to shut the gas off until we fix it. We would have never known this because everything works. They said until the valve is replaced and they do the sniffer test again we cannot use the burners. Ovens we can still use.

Hopefully your burners don't leak...we would have never known this without us being required to have a safety test since we were the new owners and the gas account was being transferred to us. The previous owners likely didn't know the burners leaked.

We live in TN and I've called MI, PA, Canada, etc. I've tried to talk to repairmen in NY and MI that work on heartland ranges and girl who answered phone said they only make service calls and won't talk to me over the phone. The one appliance parts place I talked to said there is no schematic for them to know what part it is and that anyone in the field that used to work on these ranges is no longer working.

I do believe there is a part for the valve and a person who would know what it is but I can't find them or the part! I've spend hours trying and getting nowhere. You may want to ensure your burner valves aren't leaking.

Hope you get better soon!

• pugham
    last year

Very true RedRyder and sorry to hear about this for you and Jenn Air is still in business. You would think you could find the part. Have you tried Guaranteed parts or Appliancepartsgroup.com? If you have your model and serial number they might be able to find something for you. Not sure.

Our brand Heartland went out of business in 2019 so any leftover parts might already be gone and they clearly aren't making anymore.

• BarbieCalgary
    Original Author
    last year

Well, that’s the pits. I think I have exhausted my researching skills regarding your stove parts I am sorry to admit. Doesn’t bode well for our Paragon either. Aga and heartland got together and built these units and I feel strongly, perhaps I’m delusional, but it’s out there somewhere. But I can find nothing. Sorry