Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

How would you cheer up this sad bathroom?

Sueb20
last year

I just lost a whole post, grr, trying again…

This is an attic bathroom in what has been DD’s ”quarters” but she is planning to move out this summer and I am distracting myself by reimagining her space as guest quarters.

The bathroom is almost the same as when we bought the house, except that we painted when we moved in.

Before we moved in:

After painting:

Can’t see the sink wall in the after pic, but it didn’t change.

WITHOUT A FULL BATH RENO (looking at you, Mtn), I am thinking of ways to improve it:

- paint vanity, replace countertop and drawer pulls

- new mirror

- larger rug/runner

- shower curtain (current curtain is light gray/white polka dots)

- new wall paint

I hate the tile but with the shower curtain closed and a larger rug, a lot of it will be hidden.

Wall color is Classic Gray.

The window seat could be cuter, with a new cushion. Or, eliminate the cushion and put a big leafy plant there.

The bedroom is currently very pink and gray. This is a pic prior to movein. The sconces are gone. Wall color is again Classic Gray and the carpet is a greige color. I am not up for getting rid of the carpet.

The bed has a very basic gray upholstered headboard which can stay. She might take her bureau and nightstands, which is fine. My thought is to lean toward a cottagey look with floral quilt and vintage bureau/nightstands.

I think the bathroom could possibly swing slightly beachy-cottagey with that accent strip of beach pebbles in the tub area. Probably hard to see the detail in the photo.

Inspo pics to follow.

Comments (153)

• jojoco
    last year

Ok, changing my mind ^^^ that was rude.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Judi, your post seems to be directed at me? It wasn’t me who said I was taken aback.

• Jilly
    last year

“Pausing this project while I wait for the rug, which may take a few weeks.”

Unacceptable! I want daily progress updates. :D

The more I look at that shower curtain and pillow, the more I love them!

Sueb20 thanked Jilly
  • Tina Marie
    last year

I was taken back although I didnt post photos. ???

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Tina, I guess she was scolding both of us at once.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

I need to avoid Sue's threads because I always end up buying something. I very much want a purple dog bed right now,!

Sueb20 thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think it is much improved by your changes already! It also has some inherent charm, with the window seat and ceiling slope. Dark wood trim is so bossy because it creates such strong outlines on every element. I think this is why we rarely if ever see it in new construction or remodelling.

I am a big fan of shower curtains, as an easy and usually inexpensive way to add life to a bathroom. In terms of paint, rug, windowseat, I would emphasize colors that bring light in to the room as you continue to fight the tile. The tile is not awful, BTW. Seen much worse!

Does the tile go under the vanity? If it does, I would remove the vanity in its entirety. You don't see the vanity much in your after pics but it must dominate the space, and it will never feel cottagey IMHO. You can buy a sink (maybe even a vintage one!) for very little money. It would really change the look. You are giving up storage, but you don't really need if it noone lives there full time. If the tile does not go under, then I would live with it because the expense is not worth it for a 3rd floor bath IMHO.

PS I'm assuming the door is a linen closet? Maybe replace the door with a vintage-y one? Or, open up the space and style it with shelving with baskets and such?

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Hmm the space behind the sliding doors could be converted into open shelving…that’s an interesting thought.

The door closest to the tub leads to a big deep closet that contains our off-season clothes and blankets.

I have no idea what’s going on tile-wise under the vanity.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

The reason I mention it is because you have an opportunity to have fun with this space in a way most usually can't because there are so many practical needs for bathroom. But the bath is big and seems to have plenty of storage.

If it didn't require retiling the floor, I think it would be cool to find some inexpensive vintage piece and drop a sink in or on it, or buy a vintagey pedestal sink.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

I think I’ll save any vanity replacing until the bath needs a full reno. I like the idea of using an antique piece — I did that at our beach house.

• Jilly
    last year

I love that!

Sueb20 thanked Jilly
  • Tina Marie
    last year

Antique gentlemen”s chest in one of our bathrooms. The antique mirror was my mom’s, as was the china lady bust sitting on the chest.

Sueb20 thanked Tina Marie
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Love it, Tina!

The wood top holds up ok with the sink/water?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I have wood counters in several spots. You need to use marine varnish and you are good to go. That way you don't need to use granite or marble or anything. Find an old piece for 50 bucks and plop in a sink.

I don't think I'd ever do a full reno --- the tile really is not that bad, especially with your changes. The condition looks very good. And it has a nice layout, good size.

• Jilly
    last year

I think the tiles are great, but y’all know how much I love brown. I love it very much.

There are four of us in the world … we’re planning a get-together soon. It’s a lonely life.

(Seriously, though — browns are coming back in a big way. It’s all I’m seeing on IG designer pages I follow.)

Sueb20 thanked Jilly
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Well, I just assume that something will go wrong that necessitates a full reno, like it did when our second floor bath started leaking thru the first floor ceiling…

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

fingers crossed for you, LOL!

• ajuju
    last year

I love love love the new shower curtain! Perfect with the tile and addresses your "plum needs" as well! I had the same thought as Mt. regarding the other doors in the bathroom. The entry door is so charming...anyway to update (to classic) the closet doors as well?

Sueb20 thanked ajuju
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Ajuju, yes but of course all those doors along the wall are short, not normal size, so that would probably be a $$$ project. I would totally do it if it were a room we cared more about…

In looking at the inside of the sliding-door closet, it is weirdly shaped (angled wall continues into the closet) and there are some visible pipes on the far side, so there’s not a good way to make that space cute if we were to remove the doors. I would be more inclined to just remove that whole closet…someday.

We just put a deposit down on a puppy, so that’s where my new-door and new-vanity budget is going! 🐶

• Jilly
    last year

PUPPY 😍

• Funkyart
    last year

❤️❤️❤️

This is so exciting! Have you selected one yet?

(I am opening my mind to a puppy also ... niece is getting one and I have been falling in love with each photo! She wants me to get a litter mate but I am not sure that's the breed (mini goldendoodle) I'd choose. We'll see. I fall for a face and personality so it could be any breed).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

awww... a puppy!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Puppy is not born, s/he will be part of a late spring/early summer litter, coming home July/Aug. Same breeder who we got our girls from. Our old gal is still hanging in there but can’t imagine she’ll last that long. If she does, we’ll just have 3 dogs.

Here’s our baby mama.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

aww

Names?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

LOL DH and I went out to dinner last night and that was our main topic of conversation. For a dog who’s coming in 6 months, and we don’t know if it’ll be a boy or girl. No decisions yet but some we talked about: Betsy, Betty, Joey, Daisy, Rosie. Because our current younger dog is Lucy, maybe Ricky for a boy. 😜

I want to name a dog Kitty but can’t get DH to agree.

• ajuju
    last year

Awww - way better than closet doors! We had a Lucy, and I always wanted to add an Ethel! Our friends have English bulldogs - Lucy & Linus.

• teeda
    last year

I just finished reading "The Second Mrs. Astor". John Jacob Astor named his beloved Airedale "Kitty". The second Mrs. Astor got quite a kick out of that. Poor Kitty went down with her master on the Titanic.

ETA: I think Kitty is a great name. I always wanted to name a dog "Rover" but got out voted. Who has ever met a dog named "Rover"?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

How would you cheer up this sad bathroom?

Why, I'd put a puppy in it!

• rubyclaire
    last year

A puppy!!! Congratulations - perfect solution :)

Sueb20 thanked rubyclaire
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

• Olychick
    last year

I’ve always loved Pucci for a dog (or cat’s) name. That pic is adorable!

My friends have a Lucy and Desi.

Sueb20 thanked Olychick
  • amykath
    last year

I think it is best to wait and see what their personality is like. That makes such a difference in naming a pet!

Can not wait to see him or her!!

Sueb20 thanked amykath
  • Bunny
    last year

I gotta name my animals before I get to know their personalities, kinda like we do with humans. If I had waited to do that with Zephyr, he would have had to be called A-hole. now that he’s a mature 11, he’s a sweetheart.

Sueb20 thanked Bunny
  • deegw
    last year

When I was a kid, we had a cat named PITA, which stood for pain in the ... I don't remember if he had a different name or if he was a PITA from the start.

Sueb20 thanked deegw
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Dee, haha!

Bunny, we have also added Bunny to the name list. I have always thought that would be a good name for a frenchie.

There is a breeder out there somewhere who calls frenchies ”batpigs” so that’s another option. LOL. Maybe just Piggy.

• Bunny
    last year

Sue, my Houzz name is from a tortoiseshell cat I had named Bunny (not the kitty in my current profile pic). It's a great name, originally inspired from an Eddie Murphy bit about his Aunt Bunny. It was on my "names for a cat" list and she just walked into it.

Sueb20 thanked Bunny
  • amykath
    last year

Sue, my cat's name is Sue. lol The other cat is named Henry. I used to have two dogs that i had throughout my 20's and into my early 40's. They were named Maddie and Murphy.

It is funny. The minute I saw Sue, I knew that would be her name instantly and the same with Henry.

This is Sue

This is Henry.

They both love my laptop! Probably because I am right by it and they cannot get enough me!

Sueb20 thanked amykath
  • Feathers11
    last year

Wait--I came here for a shower curtain update. But congratulations on the anticipated addition!

Love the shower curtain and seat cushion, btw.

Sueb20 thanked Feathers11
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Hit another sale and ordered this bedding.

• Kswl
    last year

Whew— miss a few weeks and SueB is in the thick of a bedroom / bath update. Love the bedding and shower curtain you’ve selected. The bathroom architecture is quirky and charming and I’m looking forward to the finished product. The dog cushion is genius…. imagine what that same item would cost if it was marketed as a window seat cushion 🙄 You are the Queen of repurposing / clever alternate use!

Sueb20 thanked Kswl
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

I really like the rug!

And the furry pillow.

New drawer pulls are here but not installed yet.

Dog bed won’t arrive for another week or so.

• Funkyart
    last year

Looks great!

Sueb20 thanked Funkyart
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

Well that came together well! Looks great! You knoooowww..... the dog bed cushion was the instigation for the new pup!

Sueb20 thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Jilly
    last year

It does look great, Sue! Not that I had any doubt whatsoever it would. You have a great eye. :)

So much charm and warmth!

Sueb20 thanked Jilly
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

DLM, a contender for paint color is…wait for it…Puppy Paws.

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

Hahaha! Rimshot please!

• amykath
    last year

Looks great Sue!!! You have so many incrediblle spaces. I could stare at each of your rooms for hours on end!

Sueb20 thanked amykath
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Aww, akt and jinx, thanks!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

This just makes me so happy.

before:

after:

In the second bedroom, there are two twin beds with a round end table that is too small between them. Tonight I am picking up this cute FB Mkt desk to replace the round table. My DS often has to work when he visits so in addition to being cute, it’s a practical addition.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus