Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynefiveash

Glass BackSplash Dilemma

Jane Fiveash
last year
last modified: last year

How high should a solid grey glass backsplash go on my kitchen wall without cabinets? This wall is visible all the way into the living room. Should it go above the hood and floating shelves level with the door frame to the countertop? Or should I have only below the hood and floating shelves? This kitchen is open to the dining room and through to the living room. The floating shelves were seen as decorative versus functional. Not wanting too busy/cluttered. The curved hood matches the arch of the opening into the dining room I have attached another pic. We don't want the wall to stand out but be functional hence the color is similar to the wall color. No children just two adults. Do we look for a new hood or can we work with this hood and still have the glass backsplash? The floating wood shelves are stained the same as the floor color bringing warmth to the kitchen update.

I agree the crown needs to butt up to the hood but is the present hood big enough for the wall? We didn't want it to appear intrusive as it's visible all the way into the living room. This crown is original to this 1941 house and is in all rooms except the bedrooms. We plan to have the crown remade and butt to the hood. Should I have no shelves and just the glass? The house is cottage like so trying to warm up this area.

Color is similar to wall color...a solid sheet with no seams. Any ideas

EmailSaveCommentEditDelete

Comments (12)

• Kate
    last year

Are you keeping the shelves?

• Jane Fiveash
    Original Author
    last year

Yes

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

IMO the scale of the shelves cannot compete with all the items around them. They should be longer and thicker.

You might have to extend the backsplash up further as there is not easy way to stop it.

Jane Fiveash thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Lyn Nielson
    last year

I'd re think the shelves. You need some kind of break point.

you have 6+ inches to the wall trim and an open wall

The backsplash should be the same width as the countertop and up.

if it were mine, I'd beef up the door trim to butt up against the cabinet and create an edge (shelf)

to end the tile. ... sorry, not a fan of that Crown detail.

Jane Fiveash thanked Lyn Nielson
  • Jane Fiveash
    Original Author
    last year

OK Thank you Could you look at my additional pics and comments? Trying to see what works best. Should I have no shelves so the glass and wall are seamless?

• hu818472722
    last year

I don't know that this is the right vent fan for this wall because the crown molding above it looks unfinished and the curved glass feature makes it more difficult to have a start/stop line for your backsplash. The broken line of molding at your ceiling draws attention to the unfinished top of your vent fixture which is not a solid piece of metal. Something bulkier with straight lines might work better with your full height cabinets to the right of your stove.

Jane Fiveash thanked hu818472722
  • acm
    last year

If it's not a decorative/eye-catching tile, I'd keep it to a functional realm -- probably just to bottom of hood and edges of shelves and down. That's where the splashes will be.

• Jane Fiveash
    Original Author
    last year

I appreciate your input. The vent a hood was purchased when we originally were going to have upper cabinets. We like the open feeling with no cabinets which lead to alot of other issues with the shelves and the backsplash. We have decided to look for a new vent a hood and run the large crown to it. The crown is original to this house built in 1941. still think I want floating shelves but don't want this too busy.

Any other suggestions?

• margimutch
    last year

No suggestions apart from appreciating those you have been given. But I'm interested in doing this in a bathroom. Can you give me some information on it. Where do you get the glass. I'm guessing you can chose the paint color so it's matching the wall color. How is it attached to the wall and what are the edges like? Since in your room one edge wouldn't abut a wall I'm thinking it needs to be curved or smoothed somehow so the edge isn't sharp. Thanks for anything you can share and good luck with your kitchen. The view through the dining room shows how lovely your home is. I especially like the dining room chairs.

• TJW
    last year

What about . . . no backsplash? We also were looking at a nice glass tile for our kitchen, but didn't have time to do the backsplash before our Christmas guests arrived in 2018. Liked the clean, open look, and still do. Surprisingly . . . walls still look great and we still haven't bought the backsplash. We might never : )) This is the one we were going to use ( the Dune Wave, in Pewter, the 3" x 12" 3D wavey tile. ). Arizona Tile Dune Wave Glass Tile in Pewter

• millworkman
    last year

"and the edges can be rounded."

They call the finished edges "polished".

"The backing allows no moisture."

What sort of backing do they use and what do you mean allows no moisture?

The shelves would need to be accounted for and measure out for the hole to be in the glass prior to tempering as once the glass is tempered that is the last work that can be done it. once tempered anything attempted will shatter the glass.