Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenny_c_1992

awkward bedroom layout

My son has lived with boxes in his bedroom since we moved 2 yrs ago! How/what would you furnish this room? Love built-ins but can’t decide if it’s worth it. Needs shelves for lots of books, storage for clothing, lounge chair or desk?

Comments (10)

• Susan
    last year

How old is your son?…will help tailor advice

• Jenny Cannaday
    Original Author
    last year

He is 16 years old. Thanks!

• Sigrid
    last year

Is the desk big enough for him? Some people like to spread out textbooks, computer and homework. If not, I'd make the window nook about homework.

What about bulky sports equipment? Figure out what he has to store and what kind of space it needs. You may need built-ins.

I'd consider a pair of wide, low dressers on either side of the bed, to work as both dresser space and nightstands. With a large bed, they'll work better than smaller nightstands. He can put lamps and some books or other decor on top.

Jenny Cannaday thanked Sigrid
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Hi. I see a desk already. Is it not the right size/functionality.

I would engage him in the process. You can ask him

1) What kind of desk would you like? Show him photos....an L-shaped, large one?

2) What about a chair? What is comfy for him?

3) Would he prefer the desk by the window or the chair?

4) What art would he like on the walls?

5) Does he study or read in bed? If he has traditional books, that light is not appropriate. I'd use lamps with a gooseneck. A larger nightstand would be better.

You could potentially put storage furniture all along the wall opposite the bed.

Jenny Cannaday thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • Jenny Cannaday
    Original Author
    last year

-My son has a LOT of books. No bulky sports equipment;

-He loves to read, write, get lost in thought and yes he does sometimes do hw on his bed. I'll have to google gooseneck lamps.

-He has some art work that is travel related - framed posters mainly.

-He is a typical teen and says he "doesn't care" where his desk is; his window looks out on our neighbor's satellite dish, but it's still a window.

-I like the idea of nightstand/dresser combo.

*what type of storage furniture would you suggest?

• Jenny Cannaday
    Original Author
    last year

My problem is that I fall for ideas I see in PB teen, etc. but I know that it's possible to furnish a kid's room well for about half the price of PB, RH, etc. I just don't know what to choose and where to purchase.

• Susan
    last year

No need to start from scratch…and he may be off to college in a couple of years! Remove the foam floor chair (unless he loves it!), the white piece, and the small cart. Is it possible to get another matching tall bookshelf and nite stand? If so, place the tall book shelves on the wall opposite the bed with the desk between them. Hang the framed ?? piece above the desk. Nite stands on both sides of bed with more substantial lamps that provide good reading light. Regarding clothes storage…is that a closet in the far corner of the bedroom? If so, place a small chest of drawers in the closet for underwear/socks/etc. If he has been living without a dresser for two years, he may not need a lot of drawer space. Then make a cozy reading nook in the alcove with a comfy chair, good reading light, small side table and the shorter bookshelf on a sidewall there.
    The bed needs a simple flat bed skirt to hide the mattress/frame. Once all furniture/lamps are in place, organize the books on the shelves and mix in some meaningful personal decor like the model airplane and globe,etc.

Jenny Cannaday thanked Susan
  • tracefloyd
    last year

Maybe place the bed on the opposite wall.

• Martha Edwards
    last year

I have found good buys on FaceBook Marketplace for bedroom furniture. I specify local only in my searches so that I can see the item before I buy and, of course, it has to be something I can fit in my vehicle. Good things go quickly so daily searches are good. Perhaps you could engage your son in helping to find, go to see, and transport anything you find.