Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan9100716

Window coverings needed

Susan
last year

This is a 3 season room. Won't use the sliders often, especially on the long wall. Need privacy though, esp in evening. Considering Roman shades (top down and bottom up) on all doors and windows as the neighbors are just down the hill. Room is long, approx 30'.

What do you recommend?

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I need more info. How do you use this space at night ? Waht direction does it face ? I like solar shdes for daytime privacy, heat control and UV control and you get to keep the view . Nightime privacy is a different thing. IMO a ton of roman shades to amniulate all the time will quickly become a PITA. Give us abit more info please. Just put it in a comment in this post do not start another post. I think no matter what you choose they will need to motorized for sure.

Susan thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Susan
    Original Author
    last year

The house faces south. The room is in the back (north) end of the house. So, lots of light and sun! We haven't moved in yet, but plan to use it a lot in the evening for relaxing and entertaining.

Agreed, manipulating so many blinds will get old fast....

• KW PNW Z8
    last year
    last modified: last year

If that room faces North - I don’t see how it will get lots of light & sun, It will be shaded by the house. You know - sun rises in East, moves around to South & sets in West. At best, the West end of this room will get some very late afternoon sun - more in summer than winter.. The east side of room will receive some morning light - again, more in summer than winter. I would wait until you’re in the house before deciding on window treatments. It seems to me you need privacy control not light control. I don’t see any neighborhood fencing but also don’t see any landscaping which surely would affect privacy.

Susan thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Maureen
    last year

Motorized blinds (or regular) based on your budget.

Susan thanked Maureen
  • Susan
    Original Author
    last year

The room always seem very bright when we are there, but yes, it will come in the sides, not in the back. Privacy is my concern, definitely. There is no fencing, and we do have plans for landscaping across the back, but it will take time before we have enough growth there to make much of a difference.

• Sarah
    last year

I also thing planting some trees will help tremendously. Then you’ll have more privacy on your yard too. A combination of evergreens and deciduous trees will be lovely with the changing seasons. This can be done over time depending on your budget.

Susan thanked Sarah
  • Jilly
    last year

What a nice room!

What is your decor style? What will the floors be, walls painted, etc?

I may be the only one, but I cannot stand how choppy these look:

I’d want something more uniform.

But again, your decor style(s) will factor in. Are you wanting drapes, too?

There are so many options out there and we all have our preferences looks-wise, but function is important here … if I were you, with having other houses so close/privacy needs, I’d call in a few window blinds companies for in-person consultations. They’d best be able to show you personalized options, especially for the sliders.

In the meantime, if you haven’t already, search for lots of inspiration photos to get ideas.

Good luck!

Susan thanked Jilly
  • Susan
    Original Author
    last year

I don't have much style (LOL!) We are very casual (eclectic?) actually. It will have LVP fooring on top of the concrete and rugs. Walls are painted a light grey.

I am not a fan of the top down look, but like having the option for privacy while not blocking all the light. I don't plan on drapes as well, but who knows! I don't want to cover the transom windows either.

I am already bothered that the headers above the windows don't line up with the header above the sliding doors. Do I put the blinds inside the window frames or outside and try to make them a uniform height with the doors??

• Jilly
    last year

That really is just personal preference and will depend on exactly what treatments you use … getting advice from local pros would be most helpful in that regard.

Susan thanked Jilly