Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
racheleck

Warm Wood Tone on Red Oak Floors without orange, RED, or too much grey

racheleck
last year

Red Oak Floors have been installed however having an issue with getting the right balance for a warm wood tone without RED boards coming through in such an obvious way. We had to scratch the stain originally thought would work (photo here) and start from scratch. This time we will be using Duraseal per my contractor request. I have read many of the discussions here (THANK YOU!) on the subject as now I understand it is quite the challenge if not going super dark. I am hoping someone here has a success story. In the threads, some people end with mentioning trying the stain combinations but not posting the outcome. Wondering if anyone has some success stories. We won't be bleaching or using a different coating before the stain. After reading a ton, I see the stain has to have a bunch of green it to help dull the red tone. These are the combination in Duraseal I have seen people mention... Looking for advice or photos of people's floors with these combinations or similar desired outcome. I will be doing our own tests but trying to narrow down the combinations to try. I would love to be able to get a similar result as my photo WITHOUT the RED tone coming through and hopefully a more overall consistent shade across the boards. Thank you!

Combination that has been mentioned:

75% weathered oak and 25% classic gray.

1 part Jacobean (or dark walnut) 1 part weathered oak

Three parts weathered oak and 1 part dark walnut

50/50 Special Walnut/Weathered Oak

Also saw someone mentioned use Jacobean and mix it with Neutral to lighten.

Hoping to find a combination that is easy-ish to replicate to ensure success across different areas.

Photo of the current stain for reference. Thank you!

Comments (16)

• racheleck
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

@millworkman, I agree very pretty... the only issue is the red of the planks,,, there are a lot of them. The island is white oak so if the floor stays with all those red planks it is going to pull red for most everything I fear. I am good with a classic look -- I only wish the red planks where more dark wood or warm wood color minus the red. @Raimondi, yup... white oak would have been easier for the outcome wanted.

• Timothy Winzell
    last year

Try samples of Ebony diluted with Natural, on water popped wood.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

what you don't want is any stain w/red in it. you'll want to use brown stains that are ashy or greenish tone.

coffee brown and provincial are examples, as well as jacobean.

• racheleck
    Original Author
    last year

@Beth H. :- Do you think mixing with Duraseal Oil Stain Provincial and Weathered Oak a good mix 50/50... or Duraseal Special Walnut and Weathered Oak? I thought Special Walnut would be a good one to mix... but after reading a bit sounds like Provincial has no/less red than Special Walnut. Trying to get a light-ish wood classic stain without the red. I am happy with brown/yellow tone.. just trying to soften those red planks. Knowing that we will most likely have to use Duraseal vs Bona doing my best to give direction to the contractor/floor guy for hopeful options and ease.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

it's best if you do a sample board, let dry. then you can see how it will look

(spec wal/weathered oak might be a nice combo)

u can use the Neutral to lighten things up a bit. I like the far left mix (this is red oak, so it's going to look more red than yours)

spc wal, jacobean, prov, reg wal, all are ashier brwns w/o much red.

• racheleck
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Just to update this for the next person. We had a lot of luck mixing Duraseal country white with our stain of choice for new red oak floors. We ended up using 3:1 Duraseal fruitwood & Duraseal country white oil stain. I wanted to try also neutral and country white but we ran out of time in our process. However we also wanted a little more brown than yellow. I think there is a touch of pinkish with different light but it is in the relm of what we wanted. I found this process challenging but the outcome beautiful. I'll try to post a photo later.

• Pauline G
    11 months ago

@racheleck whenever you have the time please post the pic of your floors. Thanks!

• cupofkindnessgw
    11 months ago

@racheleck Yes please do!

• dan1888
    11 months ago

Red oak can be challenging. Here's more info for options. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6331820/bona-red-out-anyone#n=17

• racheleck
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

There is some pink and in different times of day with different light you can see a little more... however the floors overall came out wonderful; it feels more uniform in tone and the combo we used didn't bring out the different grain which was important to us. Some of the other combos of darker stains highlighted the graining. I am happy with the outcome. I couldn't trust our floor person to do the Red Out or other sorts of preconditioning i.e.Nordic Seal. I wasn't sure of their level of training and the conversation didn't get further with trying those products. So this is just the 3:1 two coats of Duraseal fruitwood and country white. The 3:1 ratios is "easy" to get the ratios exact in case we need to do the stain again. Then 2 coats of water poly. I can't seem to get the photos to upload. Will have to try another time.

• Ty Peterson
    6 months ago

Thanks for this discussion. I’m in the medium of a kitchen renovation. I have red oak floors that I have decided to sand and stain in hopes of minimizing the orange and pink hues. I am looking for a stain/brand that can offer that solution and complement white oak cabinets 🙈. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

• L C
    5 months ago

@racheleck Could you please show a pic of your finished floors? Fruitwood and country white are what I think I want to sample but would love to see the finished product you have. My floor guy says he only uses duraseal. And when I mentioned the red out (which I thought I was going with) he immediately stated "i don't use bona" and his discussion of red out use and lack of knowledge/experience makes me VERY weary.

• Ty Peterson
    5 months ago

I’m really happy with the outcome. I doubtful that they would look like white oak but they are really close

• Margaret Hartman
    last month

Hi Ty, Can you tell me what stain you ended up with? The floors look lovely.

• CC L
    15 days ago

SO the OP complains no one post the outcomes, yet it's been 11 months and no pics from @racheleck