Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgallopo

Neutral wall color

kgallopo
last year

I've need to decide a single trim & wall color for the interior of a new small mountain house. I'm between SW Dover White or SW Alabaster for the trim, as we don't want stark white. We're debating on SW Accessible Beige, SW Worldly Grey or SW Agreeable Grey for the walls. We plan to have both greys and browns in the house (have brown cabinets etc.). Does anyone have a lot of experience with these colors and have a recco for most neutral?

Comments (11)

• kandrewspa
    last year

What color are the floors? Can you post a picture?

• kgallopo
    Original Author
    last year

The left cabinet is kitchen & 1/2 bath and the right cabinet (lighter brown) will be used for master and guest bath. The floor sample in the middle is the LVP being used throughout the whole house.

• kandrewspa
    last year

Alabaster is a more versatile and flexible trim color than Dover White. Pure White and Extra White are probably the most popular SW trim colors. What you're showing for the floor and cabinets is pretty dark. Personally I would want a lighter wall color than any of the ones you're considering, but that is personal preference and also depends on how much natural light you have and how big the spaces are. Accessible Beige is beige with some gray, Agreeable Gray is gray with some beige (not much). Worldly Gray isn't very different than AG. It's very difficult for someone else to choose your wall color. You should get samples of all the ones you're considering and look at them in the light you have. Once you do that and look at the samples next to the cabinets and floors chances are one will look better than the others, or you can branch out and look at lighter colors. Grays tend to die in dim light but warmer colors can look too yellow in southern light. While having the same color in the whole house is popular, I haven't been able to get that to work for me given that a detached home has light coming from all different directions depending on which room you're in. IMO it is very difficult to find a color that looks good everywhere. So keep in mind it is not unusual to paint bedrooms and bathrooms different colors than main living spaces.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

My two favorite neutrals are Benjamin Moore Simply White and Benjamin Moore Sailcloth. Either would go nicely with your cabinetry.

• elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

Mountain house, it sounds so cozy and fun.

Working with brown cabinets and introducing gray, I suggest the wall color be an off white that has a gray undertone. B M White Wisp for the walls in an eggshell finish.

Because the house is small, consider B.M.'s white ceiling paint, and paint the trim White Wisp in a semigloss finish for this effect: white on white.

For the grays with white wisp, choose from the B.M. Strip 2124 that has 2124-30. Any will work with your scheme.

For your largest piece of furniture, go with a brown which relates to the cabinets.

Love your chosen color scheme.

• Susie .
    last year

If you're using Sherwin Williams, they have a virtual color consultation service that is free.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/en-us/virtual-color-consultation?gclid=Cj0KCQiA8t2eBhDeARIsAAVEga1HCEHn3qpLjmDYFZJfAvQqAFz30ZloDKKW--6pewD-oesFnpID4lcaAiO_EALw_wcB

Pure White is my favorite trim color. It is not a "bright" or stark white, and it works with a lot of wall paints. I think Agreeable Gray or Accessible Beige would work with your cabinets and flooring (they are both very light "browns" or "oranges" with very little saturation). They're fairly light, with LRV of 60 and 58, but they do both have peachy tones depending on your lighting situation. Agreeable Gray is less saturated, so it's not quite as noticeable.

Sometimes a house can seem "flat" when you use the same colors throughout, even if they're different values such as yours. You may want to think about some contrast instead of just grays and browns.

• kgallopo
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you everyone!! This is the downside of having to pick colors when a house is 3hr away and being built. We will likely have different colors in different rooms once we get there and get settled. However, at this point, making all the decisions for every room is totally overwhelming. I'm just trying to figure outa color that will be neutral enough at this point. I don't feel like any of the wall colors seem overly saturated or dark for a mountain house. I appreciate all of your input!!

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Take your samples, including 81/2 x 11 inch samples of each of the paint colors outside on a sunny afternoon and look at the colors with your samples. I believe that accessible beige will be a bit yellow next to your flooring, but internet photos can lie. You will have to look at the colors with your wood tones to be sure which one looks the best and if any look green or yellow or pink next to your wood.

colors · More Info

The family room tile and kitchen tile looked quite similar inside the home, but looking at them outside you can see how pink the kitchen tile really is in comparison to the family room tile.

• Marylee H
    last year

Unless you are prepared to re-paint the trim every time you change the wall colour, I would avoid Dover White for trim. You may find it limits future options.

That’s because Dover White is so colourful. It’s relatively high in Chroma and is actually more colourful than Agreeable Grey.

Should you choose similar near neutrals down the line, you will find the trim is more colourful than the walls. Not bad, nor wrong - but it needs to be a conscious design choice.

The traditional route is trim which is lighter AND more neutral than the walls. You may struggle to achieve that look with Dover White.

• kgallopo
    Original Author
    last year

Marylee - what is your opinion of Alabaster or Futon for the trim? I totally hear your trim color input b/c my main house was painted with VERY COLORFUL trim (Softer Tan) and it's paralyzed us with our wall colors over the years.

• Marylee H
    last year

Although less colourful than Dover White, Futon still has too much colour for me, if contemplating it as trim.

SW Alabaster has less Chroma again and would work with your wall suggestions. But for me personally, I would choose something even more neutral for the greatest flexibility down the line.

Chroma

SW Dover White 1.0

SW Futon 0.8

SW Alabaster 0.7

FB Wimborne White 0.6

SW Cold Foam 0.5