Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kayyagari

Tile vs solid surface for shower curb

Kami A.
last year

I am driving myself insane over this. My new bathroom will mostly be bedrosian magnifica in calacutta ora in large 24x48 and is gorgeous. I have custom cabinets coming that are an almost bm white dove color and Pompeii pure quite quartz countertops. its a lot of white and matching them has been tedious to say the least. My contractor dropped off samples for the shower curbs and they dont match at all. I tried to source some others from another company but it also doesnt match. So at this point these are my options. 1. Reduce my 8in. and 10in. tall bathroom backsplashes and use that for the curbs. 2. Buy more of my wall tile and use that as backsplash again leaving me with curb material, however, my contractor advises against using tile for a splash as he says its not water tight. 3. Use my large scale tile with bullnose for the curb. The bullnose are 3x24 so there would be grout lines but not so many. Also i don’t like schluter at all because the color of the tile doesn’t match even close so it super obvious.

My goal is to not introduce another color/material. Would a tile backsplash or shower curb be that bad? Help!?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO the right schluter is a tiny little line of metal that is all that shows . Shower curbs are best one pice for sure . How wide is the curb ? Can you not use a 48" long piece of tile for the curb. I sure hope who ever did the tiling knew what they were doing since that size tile needs real expert to install properly.. Tile is not waterproofing the curb meeds to be water proof just like the rest of the shower and I am hoping that was done right . Contractors rarely undertsand proper waterproofing and his comment says maybe the wrong person to ask.

Kami A. thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Kami A.
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

The curb is going to be 6”. None of this has been built yet. I asked him what waterproofing system we will be using and he reaponded with asking if i was refering to liquid waterproofing. Yes i can use the 48 for the curb along with matching bullnose instead of any solid surface material. The curb is 59” however so i would have one grout line on the surface pluse the bullnose on the sides. is there a kind if schluter you can suggest? i have samples but they are all wide or the weong color. Maybe im missing something.

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    last year

I would use the same quartz as your counters; it's the best option.

Kami A. thanked Skippack Tile & Stone
  • Kami A.
    Original Author
    last year

I spoke to my contractor and thats what i will do.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

That is a great idea for sure but I thought you were not getting pieces that matched the counter or the tile. IMO the best waterproofing in the schluter system but it needs to be done right.

• Kami A.
    Original Author
    last year

I couldn’t at first because the counter people told me i didnt have enough. i called my contractor and he said they were being finacky about remeasuring. i will do my counter splashes from tile and use that material saved for the curbs and shower niches. he said he will do something to the walls behind the vanity to protect them for the long run from any moisture. im not having a schluter system done he says he doesn’t do those. said he has no issues with showers leaking and if by chance it did they would fix it. He is top rated in my area and i get a good straight forward feel from him so im going to roll with it.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last year

Find out what SYSTEM he is using to waterproof. There are tons of ways to do it, but you want it all from one company or TCNA approved process. So many tiled shower failures on here and IRL

Kami A. thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Kami A.
    Original Author
    last year

ok so i will ask and also google what a tcna approved process is. its hard to know if what im being told is fine because i dont know what i dont know.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Tile on the flat is not a good curb. One piece please.

Kami A. thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Kami A.
    Original Author
    last year

Yes after going back over things with my contractor i will be using the same countertop quartz for the curb. I will need to switch some vanity backsplashes to tile so i have enough material from my slab but i prefer that look anyway.

• cpartist
    last year

Absolutely have him explain and also have it in the contract how he intends to waterproof unless you want to be back here a year or two from now wondering why you're having moisture issues.