Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_940700054

Kohler Whitehaven Cast Iron Sink Discoloration

Roxy Roxy
last year

It’s been less than a year since my new Kohler Whitehaven Cast Iron sink was installed. From the day one it was cleaned only with a Kohler Cast Iron Cleaner and a stainless steel rack used to avoid any scratches or damages. Recently during my regular sink cleaning, once the sink was dry I noticed multiple colorless, matte stains on the sink basin. The stains won’t go away after using the above-mentioned cleaner, soda, peroxide, dish soap and vinegar. I wonder what these discoloration is and what could have caused it. Has anyone had anything similar?

Comments (10)

• susanrhill34
    last year

@Roxy Roxy i am looking at this sink to purchase vs Stainless or quartz composite so have been reading several discussions. I did see a few people mention soft scrub works well to get stains out. We are not particularly careful with putting things in a sink and do not generally like having a rack, so I am concerned about chipping and staining...eems like there is no perfect sink out there! but I do like the short apron

• susanrhill34
    last year

@Roxy Roxy and @dough71 hate to see this post as we are about to install the Whitehaven ice gray farmer sink in a total kitchen renovation. Looks like Roxy Roxy has a white version and with what dough71 posted about their biscuit, I am wondering if the lighter colors have something to do with the issue. have either of you contacted Kohler? If so what was their response? I also ordered the racks. I had read you need to replace the silicone feet over time, but leaving stains is not acceptable. also did the finish issue come to light after a few months of use or right away? thanks for any info..good luck finding a resolution and, of course, I would be interested to hear what you find.

• dough71
    last year

Roxy_Roxy, here are some images of the bottom of our Kohler sink basin. As I mentioned in my previous post, our sink has this weird oily-speckle look. Very odd. Don’t know how else to explain it.

• Laura Baer
    7 months ago

I would not buy a Kohler anything. I have a two month old Whitehaven Kohler cast iron that they warrant to not chip or scratch. It has a chip on the enamel of the divide. They are sending me touch up paint. They don’t stand behind the words of their own warranties.

• B Hilton
    5 months ago

We have a new white Whitehaven sink too. It stays white until I put the Kohler protective racks in. The stains show up wherever the feet are. It’s an awful dirty brownish yellow color. Dawn power wash and other non-abrasive cleaners don’t touch it. I have started to throw the racks in my dishwasher every time I run it in case it’s caused by a food/fat/grease build up. It helped a little better, but not much. I sparingly use liquid bar keepers friend on just the stains in the sink. It’s the only thing that gets them out. But I am really thinking about trashing those racks. It’s got to have something to do with the rubber feet things. So frustrating because I love the sink and I don’t want to mar the surface. I was hoping someone would have some words of wisdom regarding this…..

• B Hilton
    4 months ago

I ordered a set of feet made from clear PVC for sink racks from Amazon (<$6 for 60 pieces 60 Packs Kitchen Sink Rack Feet... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MTLRF4F?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share ) and these have done the trick. The problem was whatever material they were made out of. I no longer get stains that won’t come out with a simple wash with dish soap.

• christin Christl
    2 months ago

I found on the website they say to use soft scrub gel with bleach cleaner. It's hard to find but I clean and leave for 5 minutes and the stains are gone. Yes... very frustrating! When you do everything right to protect your cast iron and then these yellow stains from the rubber mat we use to protect it actually are causing the stains. ALso.... brand new and already has little pits that are completely no fault of ours. Poor poor quality!!

• Kristi Ansley
    2 days ago

We have the same issue. New Whitehaven sink. Dull splotchy bottom but smooth sides. Our old Kohler undermount cast iron sink we had 20 years ago has no issues. No idea what caused this. We haven’t used any non-recommend cleaners.

• Kristi Ansley
    2 days ago

Has anyone tried contacting Kohler? Ours isn’t a water issue. We have 6 Kohler Caxton sinks and none of them have this issue with the finish. Just the Whitehaven.