Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_928827909

Redbud and dogwood in full sun

I live in zone 7a Philadelphia. I really want an American redbud or dogwood in my yard. I try to keep it native for the most part. I’ve gone back and forth over the years putting one of these or possibly both in my front yard where they would receive sun all day long. I’ve read through every forum possible on the full sun issue and it’s a mixed bag of answers. I’d probably get Appalachian spring dogwood because it seems best for location and for red bud I would go with Appalachian red because I love the color. Back yard it maxed out with trees and my only two spots shaded out in the afternoon are small areas I put American fringe trees in. I’ve seen some redbuds ones full sun in my neighborhood but not as many dogwoods. I’d prefer dogwood but because of what’s I’ve seen in my own neighborhood that may be the harder of the two to establish in this location.

Comments (20)

• Jameszone7a Philadelphia
    Original Author
    last year

Pic is an awesome photo of Appalachian red buds that really pop against that blue building. Not my house lol

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Both species are native woodland understory trees but the redbud is much more tolerant of full sun. Dogwoods tend to react poorly in full sun and high summer heat, tightly curling their leaves and letting them droop down. Afternoon shade at the very least is preferred.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    last year

Just do it.

Years ago, they were recommending planting dogwoods in full sun in the Mid-Atlantic because it helped reduce the chance of anthracose. They did not keel over and die.

Understand that in the comparative scheme of things, Philly isn't really that hot. I've spent more days in Chicago when the temperature has been over 100 than Philadelphia. That works out to about ten days vs. about ten years.

Original Author
    last year

Yeah mad gallica I am at that point. Sometimes hearing success stories helps follow through. I know dogwood likes certain a soils so if I can have the right soil that’s is an added benefit.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    last year

Regarding the soil, this is definitely an 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' issue. For one thing, when planting, if you are messing around with the soil, you want to mess around with ALL the soil the plant is going to come into contact with. This is perfectly doable for something like lettuce, but gets a lot tougher when dealing with a tree. The second thing is that you should already have perfectly reasonable dogwood soil. That's one of the points of planting natives.

• Will M65(SE,PA 7A)
    last year

Hi Jim,

Stick with the Kousa and or Rutger's Hybrids for dogwoods, especially in a full sun location. I'm in Montgomery County, PA and all of my flowering dogwoods (6 total) have succumbed to anthracnose. I've replaced them with several generic Kousa's and a couple of Rutger's Hybrids and so far they are doing well.

They prefer a slightly acidic well draining soil with plenty of organic matter. Young container specimens will need regular watering for the first 2-3 yrs until their root system develops and occasional watering during drought situations thereafter. They do not like to have wet feet so site in a well draining area with no standing/flood water.

Link:

https://agproducts.rutgers.edu/dogwood/varieties.html

There is a new variegated form of Celestial(Celestial Shadow), the foliage resembles a tri-color beech. Also, if you still looking for a more upright Nyssa, check with Paxson Hill, they carry Sheri's Cloud Variegated with striking pink/red fall foliage, like the tri colored beech. 30-40ft tall x 18-20' wide.

Paxson Hill Farms and your recommended Tree Authority both have a good selection.

Regards,

Will

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last year
    last modified: last year

The term 'Full sun' is thrown around rather loosely.

6 hr./day direct sun technically is considered full sun but then so is 12 hr./day.

I'm sure the temperature/stress difference for the plant is substantial between the two.

Afternoon sun is the hottest time of the day so afternoon shade would be a big part of the equation imo.

At my old place out in the country, we had tall evergreen trees lining both E/W sides of the yard, which limited direct sun to about 8 hr./day. Which for some plants can be too much.

:^)

Original Author
    last year

We’re talking 12 hrs at my house in this area

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

" We’re talking 12 hrs at my house in this area "

The dogwood will hate that!!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

cercis canendensis... if that is what you are calling a AMERICAN RB.. considering it has canada right in its name.. is only shade TOLERANT.. it does fine in full sun in my z5 MI ... maybe its different in your zone ...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=define+canendensis&t=ffab&ia=web

btw.. the pic looks photo shopped or color enhanced ... or its a camera trick due to the color of the building ...

every dogwood i ever bought failed.. so i have no opinion on such ... besides as a race.. i hate them all... its personal now.. lol ...

ken

• Jason, zone 7A, near Greensboro NC
    last year

FWIW, I'm in western NC, which is also zone 7A but considerably hotter than my short experiences in Philly.

I have several dogwoods on my property. One was planted before I bought the place, and since then I have 4 or 5 that grew wild. They're all in full sun, direct heat from morning to night! With mostly red clay soil.

Growing up, we had a few dogwoods on my parent's property, too. I assume they grew wild because I can't ever remember them planting anything outside of the veggie garden, and they're all still there.

So full sun like that may not be ideal for them, but I've never had any problems other than maybe some browning of the leaves. Before reading this thread, I would have said that 12 hours of direct sun was perfect for them! LOL

You can see one of my dogwoods here, taken last year (ignore the weeds, it's a work in progress):

The same one in bloom several years ago:

And I think these are Eastern Redbuds, growing in full sun in my downtown:

• kitasei2
    last year

The forms of dogwoods and redbuds are so different. If you decide both will make it, focus on that to make your choice.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    last year

I have all of these in full blazing sun and everything does just fine- several varieties of Cercis, as well as kousa, alternifolia, and florida dogwoods.

I do water copiously when the sky does not.

• AJ Princeton NJ z6b
    4 months ago

Hi James- I’m a little late to this thread but wanted to share my experience. I planted four Cherokee Princess Dogwood and Cherokee Brave Dogwoods. One in partial shade and three in full sun. The leaves through the season for the one in partial shade were robust, large and full. However, the dogwoods in full sun mostly stayed curled. And it made me worry. But now in the winter/ I see that the ones in full sun are full of flower buds- copious and full abundance. The one in partial shade also has flower buds but less than half of what the ones in full sun have. The Cherokee series is a cultivar of Cornish Florida and they are supposed to be disease resistant. How has your experience been.. (I’m in Princeton NJ- Zone 6B)

• callirhoe123
    4 months ago

If you want success, plant the redbud:)

Original Author
    3 months ago

I ended up getting an appalachian red redbud. Had to make a little drive out to Lancaster to get one. All balled and bur-lapped unfortunately but I got it in the ground. I still may try and sneak a dogwood somewhere but not in full sun. I liked the celestial shadow dogwood Will mentioned in the comments and the place I get most of my trees just got in some cloud 9 dogwoods which I have never seen locally over the years. I personally am not a huge fan of the Rutgers dogwoods. They serve a good purpose but they aren’t for me.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 months ago

I had a old, large, mature redbud at my other house that was in full sun until mid-evening when the house next door blocked the western sun as it was on its descent. I did fine -- more than fine, it thrived. It came with the house, so I have no idea whether it was the straight C. canadensis or a fancy cultivar, but it was a beautiful tree. I'd like to get one for this house. I think you made a good choice.

Original Author
    3 months ago

Yeah there is beautiful one a street over from me in full sun. I also planted a nyssa sylvatica near by that will eventually offer a few hours of shade mid day as it grows

Original Author
    13 days ago

Looking good in year two in the yard