Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emileeee

Design ideas for exterior of brown split level ranch. So brown.

Emilee
last year

I’m looking for ideas for the brown wood siding on the bay window and general ideas for the landscaping. I don’t think I can convince him to paint the brick. We will be replacing windows eventually, but not all at once. Ideas?

Comments (13)

• Sigrid
    last year

I'd go with cream or a light creamy sage. I'd do the shutters a few shades darker and the door a much darker version of the same color.

• housegal200
    last year

Greige leaning toward brown since you have a visible brown roof. Remove your shutters. Add a light teal door. When you replace the windows, get bronze frames to echo roof.

Great landscaping would greatly improve the existing brick without having to paint it. Get a garden designer to plan some deep garden beds on the right. (Your evergreens there are fine, though, but a mix of shrubs native to your area in different heights would soften the façade of the house.)

• housegal200
    last year
    last modified: last year

Dig Doug's design is just great! I like how the tree planting on the left softens the impact of the left side, which is a bit imposing and hard to design around. Very inspired!

• Susie .
    last year

Landscaping is a big improvement! But you still have a lot of orange. If it’s not nice brick, don’t feel bad about painting. Romabio makes a great product for masonry surfaces. I used it myself on a brown brick 70’s ranch several years ago (it’s a rental property) and am so glad I did. It’s worth a look at their website at the very least, they’re very helpful if you have questions.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Are you sure that brick isn't already painted? Who makes orange brick and orange mortar?

No shutters on this Modern house.

That bow window is so not appropriate for this home. I would select a picture window instead.

• simplynatural
    last year

Well, I never would have guessed when I started playing with this that the changes I would like best would add MORE orange! Here are a couple of versions with wood and shutters painted closer to the brick color, one more taupe-y, one more peach-y. The intent in both cases is to reduce the stark contrast of the dark wood against the brick. Both also modify the roof over the bow window so it isn't so high and is darker, both darken the main roof, and both widen the walk and add landscaping to "ground" the house (although I didn't include @Dig Doug's Designs foreground tree, which I really like!). The peach-y one also extends the roof over the door to add emphasis to the entrance and hangs a larger light fixture. You can see what you think.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

No shutters and this is my fave with brick

• happyleg
    last year

You can always go with the vanilla color paint or a dark page

• happyleg
    last year

Biege

• simplynatural
    last year

Here is the no shutters, sage green option:

• ourfarmhouse
    last year

Some suggestions...

1. I would extend the wood siding down to the ground in front and paint it black. This simplifies the facade and helps to make it feel more modern, and contrasts with the brick. It makes it feel crisp.

2. Either flatten the bay window or make it a box bay and extend the black aluminum surround to the bottom windows. This further simplifies the facade and brings in and architectural element.

3. Update the door with a more modern version to match the modern asthetic of the rest of the house.

4. Remove the shutters. They don't match the more MCM style of the house.

5. When it's time to replace the roof, go with black shingles. It will help with more contrast.

6. Landscape, landscape, landscape.

Here is what it could look like...

• Emilee
    Original Author
    last year

Wow, this looks great! Thank you for the suggestions.