Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_165323114

garage conversion exterior

Business_Name_Placeholder
last year
last modified: last year

need help with making this gable have curb appeal, the house has some spanish revival accents already. the garage was closed in- but the gable needs help. Thinking of making a front porch or portico; stone facade, and accenting the archway and putting an archway over the windows

Here is a more current photo. I am intersted in the comment about not putting stone on the front and that it would make the house look more squat. I was concerend about that. The stucco seems to be coming away from the wood inserted. The rest of the house is block and thought the stone would prevent the stucco from coming away from the wood. Really like the configuation below. How do you try on different looks on the picture?

Comments (11)

• arcy_gw
    last year

You mostly need to rip out the driveway to nowhere and plant grass.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year
    last modified: last year

That would be a good start. You also need to take pics from further back so we can see arches . Right now I see nothing spanish about the house except the pink stucco which BTW I would be painting Post the pics here in a comment do not start another post.

• mojavemaria
    last year

That rather large topiary obscures your arched entry, could it be reduced? Is there room to park your car if you take out 3-4 feet against front wall for a planting bed? Stone can look very nice if you end it on an inside corner but can look contrived if it stops at an outside corner.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

I'd paint the stucco and add shutters

Add some terra cotta planters to the area.

• PRO
    Original Author
    last year

thank you so much for your comments, I will be posting another picture where the topiary (I call them poodle bushes and have been a pain to trim for years) has been removed and the picture should be better. I am encouraged by the pictures above. My problem has been the lack of symmetry with the apex of the gable. I have accepted that and have decided to put up a canopy with spanish accents over the wondows; trim around the arch; and possibly stone work (river rock) on the bottom up to half of the windows. I plan to keep the color- which is faded in this picture. It is a coral color- the same of the Don Cesar on St. Pete Beach. Bought it this way- and like it.

• elcieg
    last year

Remove several feet of the concrete so you can plant by the side. You will still have plenty of space to park your car.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

No stone work.

Your home is squat in appearance. Stonework will make that worse and is not typical on a Spanish home.

• PRO
    Original Author
    last year

I am leaning toward the above pic and also putting a canopy with lights on either side of the canopy (similar to pic above)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I think that is a great idea but honestly until you remove the concrete except for a driveway this will always look ,like a garage conversion

• PRO
    Original Author
    last year

I agree. the plan is to remove the concrete driveway and put in a circular drive with pavers going to the left as you look at the house. The house is south facing in Florida and is on roughly a third of an acre that is extensively landscaped with native plants and plants for bees, etc. I was thinking it would be nice to have a canopy (or small roof) where the garage door used to be with a sitting area underneath, with spanish style lights on either side. I am so grateful for all comments here. It was a garage conversion done wrong in terms of placement of the windows and have been wondering what to do to rectify it for years and now have the means and time to correct it. I am now of the opinion that what needs to be done is to take the emphasis away from the apex of the house since the windows are not in line with it. A canopy would serve to thwart the harsh and brutal light to the room as well as provide some intersting architecture. Shutters would also give the illusion of height since the house is squat.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio