Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sconset123

Seeking input! Need to finalize kitchen layout for old home

sconset123
last year

Hello! I've been planning a kitchen remodel for months and it's nearing the point where I have to lock things down in order to proceed. I've already received some great feedback from this forum and am back for another round to see if the great minds here think this new and (hopefully) improved layout will work.

Backstory: we plan to remove the wall between the kitchen and dining room, and to rearrange things to solve some current traffic issues in the house. The house is 120 years old and has some real layout constraints, including a column and some wall segments that need to stay (highlighted in pink in the plans).

Here is the new, proposed plan:

And here is the kitchen in context of the rest of the 1st floor (minus the living room which spans the full front of the house).

I'd really appreciate any feedback on this layout. This plan has the kitchen sink moved to the island, which I was really trying to avoid but I can't think of any other way to make this work.

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• herbflavor
    last year

for 50 in wall / instead of microwave and decorative glass doors I'd do a reduced depth pantry set up....you can do it a few different ways. then I'd get some overhang and stools on center run. I'd not use full 30 in for trash......what are the cabinet sizes along the longwall? do you have wall cabinets? better in your kitchen to have microwave on a ledge of a wall cabinet near the fridge I think. You could put a glass door cab to right of pink area on back wall......near dining zone if that is important to you. I would add seating in the center area for sure. the sink and d washer on center area is fine as far as my sentiment on that.....however its recommended to avoid back to back sink w stove......can you shift the stove? posting actual cabinet choices /sizes/type might solicit valuable opinions.....unless you havent gotten that far??? cant tell.

• HU-918119203
    last year

I suspect the pantry is where it is to conceal the plumbing stack with a full-height cabinet. That makes sense. I still would move the microwave and do a drawer microwave in the island, and turn that into another pantry. That would free up some space for counter seating if you want it. Otherwise, this looks pretty good to me.

• User
    last year

Beautiful layout :)

I would remove the coffee station entirely, widen the pantry as much as possible towards the double doors, and put the microwave (and maybe the coffee machine too) in the pantry:

Then I'd make the island deeper and fit storage on the other side (instead of seating):

• sconset123
    Original Author
    last year

Many thanks for your great input!

That's correct that the pantry is there to hide the plumbing stack, and also because there is a wall segment next to it that needs to stay. I'll play around with the idea of putting a microwave there, interesting idea! I was planning for a drawer microwave but am not tied to that idea.

I would love to have island seating and will see if I can make that work. I explored something similar to the plan you so kindly shared, but was worried that I wouldn't have enough cabinet and counter space. That part of the kitchen is also tricky because it serves as a "hallway" between rooms and is currently a traffic issue.

herbflavor, I do plan wall cabinets but I don't have the actual cabinet sizes finalized. I plan on an 18 inch trash drawer and could certainly shift the stove. My goal is to figure out where the sink, appliances, and trash will go and then build the rest of the kitchen around that.

It's great to hear this feedback. The first time I posted my kitchen plan I was told to "start over" (and rightfully so!). I'm very relieved that my updated plan seems to work a lot better!