Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyarms

Is there a middle ground between SW dover white and white?

KellyB6
last year

All of my trim is SW dover white. I’m looking for a kitchen cabinet color a little less yellow cream but not stark white. Any recommendations for a color in between the two? My quartz counters lean more toward white with grey veining but they aren’t stark white. I will also coordinate the backsplash between the cabinets and counter. Thank you.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Sorry really hard to compare colors on monitors .

• KellyB6
    Original Author
    last year

Is there a creamy white that would go with dover white?

• Faron79
    last year

That's a near impossible question to answer for anyone. If you ask 10 different Decorators/Homeowners/"Experts", etc .... you'll get 10 different answers. It's almost pointless......

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Besides.......haul the same pail of a "White" to 10 different homes & paint a wall. We all know it will look like TEN different colors........even tho' it's not!

Faron

• kandrewspa
    last year

SW's lightest warm white is Alabaster. Because of the factors the previous commenters pointed out, the only way to determine which is the best color in your space is to sample. Start by bringing home chips of all their whites, then work up to bigger samples. While you may not want to open this can of worms I will say anyway that you should probably repaint your trim. Dover White is going to make what you're trying to do more difficult. In the past trim colors were darker and leaned yellow, but for the past ten years at least people have been using whiter, more neutral colors on trim. It's a good strategy because no one likes to paint trim and those colors are more flexible for when you want to change your wall color. The most popular trim colors now (in SW) are Alabaster, Pure White and High Reflective White.

KellyB6 thanked kandrewspa
  • L thomas
    last year

All of the trim on our house is BM Linen White. It’s very warm, bordering on pale yellow. It was that color when we bought our house, and I just didn’t want to take on repainting all the trim - so it stays. We remodeled our kitchen last spring and used BM Decorators white for our cabinets and trim. The difference doesn’t bother me at all and isn’t noticeable when walking in/out of the kitchen. That being said - our kitchen is in a 1921 home, and is tucked in a back corner, with two doorways. It is decidedly not open-concept. This is why, I imagine, we can get away with the hard transition. I’m not sure it would feel as seamless if your kitchen is open to the areas with the existing white trim.

KellyB6 thanked L thomas
  • KellyB6
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

faron79 - I do understand what your saying but isn’t the whole point of this website is to get peoples opinions?

Marylee - I will look at that website. Thanks

Kandrewspa - yes, I will definitely get some samples. I can’t re-paint all of the trim because its just too much and I have an open floor plan so I couldn’t even just do the kitchen. I wish the builders used pure white, it would of made things easier.

L thomas - I do have an open floorplan. A little color difference won’t bother me. My cabinets are very white now and I just wanted to warm them up a bit. SW Whitetail is one lighter than dover so I was thinking of maybe trying that. I have a free color consultation with sherwin williams, so I’ll see what they say.

i will say the dover white can look really white or creamy yellow just depending on the time of day, lol It’s a crazy color how different it looks in each ara of my house!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    last year

In between Dover and just white in this case has to be about Chroma.

You want a white which means the Value/brightness has to be high like Dover White - which is a color of white.

And you want the same hue family range so it relates to Dover and doesn’t contrast at all because you don’t want Dover’s Yellowness emphasized.

So the answer is SW’s Alabaster.

KellyB6 thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • KellyB6
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Lori

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

You need to see the colors next to one another and you should test at least 3 before deciding which one looks best in your space.

I would look at Shell White if you want something that is the same LRV range, the same hue, but just a bit less colorful.

If you don't mind going a bit whiter Westhighland or Whitetail would be two that I would try.

The numbers in the LCH columns show

L - how light or dark a color is (Higher is whiter, lower is blacker)

C - Chroma - how colorful or gray a color is - higher is more colorful, lower more gray

H - Hue - where in the color wheel the hue lands. 87 is the center of the yellow hue 118 is the center of yellow green, so the higher you go in this grouping the more green the yellows become.

KellyB6 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • KellyB6
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Jennifer