Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_618897318

unfinished hard wood floors

Chris H
last year

My husband installed new unfinished red oak HW in our kitchen as part of a full gut. We have HW throughout the rest of the house and I’ve started reaching out to flooring places to get quotes on refinishing the existing floors and finishing the new floor so they all match. The other floors are also red oak but are original to the house (1962). What should I be looking for in these companies? Is there anything I should avoid? Additionally, if you’re in CT and can recommend someone, please do!

Comments (4)

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    last year
    last modified: last year

There is no standards on pricing. So there is a wide range on it based on quality from D + to A + work. You want to make sure the price justifies the quality of product, labor, time and service. Don't be blinded by pricing. You maybe comparing a D+ flooring contractor to a A+ flooring contractor. Do your best to compare apples to apples. A itemized written quote helps.

Find out who will be doing the actual job. Make sure they do not have limited knowledge and resources. The actual refinishers needs to have knowledge of equipment, products and process. Including: job site safety, handling emergencies, handling of sanding dust, disposing rags and applicators.

See what type of equipment they have or how they perform their final prep work and with what type of equipment. This helps determine their quality of sanding/flatness and how much pride and confidence they have in their work.

A list of products they have used also, helps determine how much pride and confidence they have in their work.

Photos of their work.

• Chris H
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you :)

• dan1888
    last year

Bona products are often recommended here. You may be able to get a light less orange/red finish. Collect samples of finished flooring products to see what works in your space. Then determine what was used to get that look. That may be available for site refinishing. Maybe not. Currently one popular look uses European Oak. It may be possible to match or get close to that look if the grain in your red oak is filled with a pale brown fill material. Monarch has examples you can request.

• Chris H
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks all. We did consult with a flooring distributor prior to buying our wood floors - so I am confident they can all be matched. Thankfully there is no concern in terms of how they’re woven together as they are parallel to one another in one room and the other are two door ways where they meet up exactly. My husband spent a lot of time planning and is (I think) quite a skilled DIYer due to his line of work. We went with unfinished specifically to be able to then sand down the old floors and match them all. My husband has done this with our second floor and that was the plan with this but we now want to hire someone (ya know, life happens). They are the same wood as the rest of the house. I just want to know if there is anything I don’t know. Better to ask and hear what others suggest in terms of what to look for than come back here with a nightmare job.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio