Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bhbc4

Hype up my new counters please!

Bethany
last year

I had new granite installed yesterday and I just not in love. please tell me it doesnt look horrible! it was really hard for me to picture what the whole slab would look like in the kitchen and i was envisioning more veining and less speckles

Comments (29)

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

I think they are unique... if you keep everything else simple, they will be a stand out!

I would love to have this countertop.

• Beatrix
    last year

I like your granite tops! The movement looks great and much more realistic than a quartz would. I bet once you get some stuff around, all appliances in place, cabinet hardware, some decorative things, etc it's going to pull together and look even better. The speckles won't be so "in your face" when there's other elements to land on. And I don't think the speckles look bad either... it's a rock. It will serve you well and you're going to make some great food on it!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

I think it's really nice!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I like that stone it is interesting. I agree once the other stuff is in and you start using the space the stone will be fine . I do however think a counter depth fridge would have been a better choice and now for sure you need panels to hide the sides . Your cabinet company should have them to match

• Linda
    last year

Based on my recent kitchen remodel experience, it's common to have second thoughts when you're midway through the project. From what I can see in the photos, the granite looks great with the cabinets and fridge. Once you get backsplash and hardware installed, it will look more put together. Don't panic just yet!

• snappity
    last year

It looks fine! If it were my house, once it's covered in mail and my kids papers, I won't even notice it to know if I love it or not.

• rebunky
    last year

It looks great. I love the eggplant color of the spots.

Hey, look at this in a positive way, if you drip some spots of red wine, or your kids drip grape jam, you won’t even notice. Lol!

• Fori
    last year

It's gonna be gorgeous! The spotty strip where the old backsplash was removed is what's killing the look. Once you get the backsplash painted or tiled or whatevered, it'll be as good as you expected it to be.

(unless you have an ant problem. In that case, it'll drive you bonkers.)

• Laura Raley
    last year

I would get backsplash in that purplish color! Play it up!

• jackowskib
    last year

Looks quite nice and says I’m the boss of this room. So I hope your backsplash will be subtle and not try to command attention.

• Lynn Lou
    last year

Oh I love your counters! I'm a huge fan of purple, so I would definitely bring out the purple in the backsplash. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• rebunky
    last year

I don’t know if you had a backsplash planned, but I played with one I saw recently on the tilebar website that I thought might match your granite nicely. I hope you don’t mind me decorating your kitchen lol!

• just_janni
    last year

The garnet in that counter is really fun. You will love having a color to play with as you move through the relationship with your kitchen. It looks VERY nice - has the right heft to it and is loking great with the stainless

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"I found it to be quite porous, especially with oil around my cooktop. Before you use it, get some ProSeal and seal it."

No leaning elbows at the overhang either.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

It is one of the more unusual patterns. Would suggest you live with it for a while before replacing.

• A G
    last year

I know someone who has what looks to be the same counters- they look beautiful and she loves them. Her backsplash is done in a very pale grey pulled from the counters and it looks lovely.

It often takes time to adjust to a big change! I have a solid routine of panicking and second guessing my choice, but then I get used to it and enjoy it.

• Jules M
    last year

Similar granite as yours was in place in a house we just purchased. We added a non busy backsplash in off white and I think it works well together. It’s a fairly neutral granite, I think you will get used to it!

• eld6161
    last year
    last modified: last year

The good news is that is works with your cabinets. How many people come here with elements that clash?

It is not uncommon to have a different reaction to something when it is in your own space with your lighting.

Right now you are focusing on the newest element. It will be fine once everything is finished.

• Stacey
    last year

I would try to find a creamy tile for backsplash and stay away from gray.

• cpartist
    last year

What everyone else is saying. It's a beautiful granite that will live well. Pick up the garnet color in accents such as towels, bowls, etc.

• zealart
    last year

I've looked at granite slabs ( wanted one because it's cheaper than quartzite) and ended up not liking any of them. Didn't see this kind. This is the nicest granite I've seen. It works with your kitchen well. I'd just go simple on the backsplash. I would not go creamy on tile. You cabinets are a bright cool white, your slab is gray. Cream tile will look off and yellowish. If you're going with white tile, make sure it goes with your cabinet white, on the cooler side.

• Bethany
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everybody! I am feeling much better about it. To answer some questions, yes it is thunder white leathered granite! we have chosen cool white backsplash and we are in the process of ordering a panel to frame off the fridge.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

That's River White granite. you can google some pics, since it's very popular.

It leans toward the cooler side, so pick your tile accordingly.

Looks like your slab has a lot of gray and charcoal in it.

I would accent w/some black or dark gray, and bring in some warm woods, like a cutting board or two

if you have a large open wall space, hang some of these

what kind of 'cool white' tile did you choose? this is what cool white will look like

here's a longer white tile w/a gray grout, black/gold accents

this is white tile, but looks warm because of the warm under cabinet lighting

love the idea for the panel see how much nicer that spot would look? it's more of a finished look. (Plus, w/all that gapping all around it, a panel surround w/a custom box above it would just look better. ) make sure the boxes come all the way forward, otherwise they're useless

you have that gap above your fridge. lose that top cab, or modify it w/a shelf, or just do something like this

I hope your panel surround fits your fridge like a glove!

• Ida Claire
    last year

Our countertops are River White, and initially I balked because the speckles made me think of blood spatter. (Must stop watching so many true crime documentaries on the streaming channels!) After living with it for 8 years, though, it doesn't faze me at all. It's a lovely stone and I'm quite happy to have it. Give yourself time to get used to what you have, and I think you just may find you're happy as well.

Also, you didn't ask, but your fridge is just fine.

• doods
    last year

I really like it. Hope you post some pictures of your finished kitchen!

• Jennz9b
    last year

Congratulations for choosing something unique and beautiful and not the same generic stone all the HGTV watchers choose. Your kitichen is not “basic.“ This is a good thing.

• jcanel
    last year

I have the exact same counters and I love them! Wait til you have everything else in place and you will too!

• Kendrah
    last year

The tones and veining are very nice. I moved into a house that had counters like these but the speckles were burgundy and it looked like wine or blood splatter. Your speckles are at least the same colors and blend with your counters. Throw a toaster, small potted plant, and little tray on that counter right now, take a pic, and you will immediately see how different the counters will look once the kitchen is lived in.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath