Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valaske

Exterior design advice badly needed!!

valaske
last year

Trying to figure out what to do with the front of our new in-law unit on the front and side of our existing house. We have a rather unattractive utility door and gas meter on the street facing front. This space is 3' 4" X 14'. I wanted to keep the trash cans here so both "houses" could use them but have some cover. I envisioned having gates that open out left and right so we could get the cans out. But then there is the right side of the property, which is the entrance to the in-law unit. It's around 10' wide at the front and 23'6" to the middle of the in-law front door, and about the same length to the back. I feel like there should be a front gate that lets visitors into the side area and in-law unit. A pathway to the front door of the unit. This would allow for plantings and an inviting entrance. I don't want it to be a huge privacy fence, though, as it wouldn't really be inviting then or look like an entrance. The dilemma is complicated by the fact that the driveway and side area slope.(Where the dirt is to the right of the current driveway will probably be cemented.) Any creative thoughts on types of fencing/gates, ways to hide the trash cans, inviting side entrances? I'm at a loss!!!

!!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year
    last modified: last year

What is going where that ramp is now ? Why can't the trash cans be in the garage except for garbage day. Why the utility door at all?Maybe some pics of the front of the house right now I see trash cans all over the place . IMO you do need a walkway to the entry for the inlaw suite .That space looks quite wide could you not have a trash can type cabinet along the fencelike this

or this

valaske thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Andy J
    last year

I would fence the rectangular area that is at the top of the driveway, where the utility door and blank wall is, to create a small "run". Position the gate in front of utility door, store garbage bins in the run.

Swing a path out from front door and down towards the sidewalk. Don't hug the house with the path, have at least 2-3 feet between house and path to allow for landscaping.

Rather that putting more concrete where the dirt is currently, I would recommend grass or gravel.

valaske thanked Andy J
  • tracefloyd
    last year

If you want an inviting space, why would you cement everything? A white picket fence for the perimeter of the yard with a gate and a walking path through a pretty landscaped garden.

valaske thanked tracefloyd
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year
    last modified: last year

It’s obvious to me that a new (matching) section of fence goes where the red/black line is. Build it far enough forward to the street to allow room for the trashcans to set behind it as well as room for a nice pathway to the side entrance.

The trashcans should not ever be set in front of the addition ON the driveway.

valaske thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • Otter Play
    last year

Dig Doug is on the right track. I am assuming that the utility door is access to the water heater rather than an entrance to living space or garage. I suggest his low fence (without the arched trellis) be extended to meet the corner of the garage, leaving enough space for the trash cans to be accessible by both units. An outward swinging gate would give access to utilities and trash can. Keep the arched gate for the entrance to the second unit. Choose a bird bath or a large planter in a color similar to that beautiful entry door for the second unit. Use a pathway material that will provide stability for anyone using it. I think putting more concrete to the right of the existing driveway would not look inviting.

I am curious how you have decided to distinguish the main unit’s entrance.

valaske thanked Otter Play
  • 3onthetree
    last year

Wrong door Doug. That is a door to an isolated mechanical room, not the front entrance.

I would imagine your utility also requires that the gas meter needs to be exposed and not crowded behind a fence or plantings. The steps you need to install there are trouble enough.

Build a small area next to the neighbors fence for all the trash cans. Build a raised planter along the front wall (with as skinny steps for the door as you can make them) equal to the height of the foundation dimple board. Get some taller plantings in there stat.

valaske thanked 3onthetree
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

First, I think I'd paint the whole house a different color; something a bit more interesting with contrast color doors. Then I'd put some lattice work on that blank wall of the in-law unit and plant some climbing roses or other flowering vines to soften the look.

As for the side yard, you could put in an attractive path with stone or concrete, then plant around it with flowering shrubs and other perennials.

Here's an example of what I mean for the lattice:

228 Pendleton Road · More Info

And here's an example of a pretty side yard:

Coastal Modern · More Info

valaske thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • valaske
    Original Author
    last year

Wow! I've never done this before. Great responses! I don't see how to respond to anyone specifically, so I will try to clarify a little. Otter Play and 3ontheTree are on the right track. The door you see from the front is a mechanical door for the water heater, with the gas meter located in front of it. They must be accessible to meet the code, but we don't need to create steps there. The entrance to the main house is on the left side of the garage. The entrance to the unit is the blue door which is located 1/2 way down the dirt area on the right side of the picture, facing the neighbor's fence. I am planning to have a path from the blue door toward the street with plantings, much like Sabrina's picture. I had not thought of starting the "path" to the unit further down the driveway as Dig Doug showed. I agree with the comment that so much cement will not be very inviting. I guess I defaulted to that because grass in California is such a water waste. But Doug's picture is making me rethink it. I suppose drought-resistant plants might work but there isn't much light due to the neighbor's tree. Still doesn't solve how to hide the trash cans though, unless I end up having two gates out front or some type of separate cover closer to the street. You've all been wonderful, any more thoughts?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH